Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Normal DSTV to PVR

Exclamation Normal DSTV to PVR

Hi guys, I urgently need your help. Let me explain my situation. Currently we have the normal dstv setup with the premium bundle.so single view,normal decoder dstv. Well last week our decoder died, so automatically my dad went and got a new standard decoder from multichoice for R500. But I want PVR BADLY! What are my options? Can I return the normal decoder asap (1 day old) and ask for a PVR decoder, would there be any pay-in etc? I'm willing to pa the difference. And what would i require to complete the conversion from normal to PVR.like LNB etc? Any help would be much appreciated.thanks

As far as I know you pay R50 or so a month extra for the PVR functionality. But you won't get a SD PVR from Multichoice anymore.Only the HD unit which is around R3000+ excluding the installation.

The HDpvr is around R3k - so you'd obviously have to pay in extra for that. But in addition, the HDpvr uses a twin LNB (as opposed to the single LNB for the std decoder). Two inputs come from the LNB into a multiplexer that then splits the signal into 4 inputs to the HDpvr. So the installation is quite a bit different.

The HD PVR is R3999 !
    i7 2600K @3.8 | GA Z68P-DS3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD | 16gb HyperX Red | GTX670 Windforce | Antec H2O 920 | CM 600W Silent Pro M | CM HAF 922 | 27" IPS WQHD

Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
    The HD PVR is R3999 !
    Ouch!

Thats why I'm considering a dvd recorder!

dvd recorder is much better we got pvr and dvd recorder at least with a dvd recorder you have everything on disc

Thanks for the info guys..yeah i phoned multichoice this morning. and the guy confirmed that the normal sd pvr insn't available anymore. But yoh, don't think i want to spend R3k+ for a hd pvr as we dont even have an hd tv atm.lol. i think the price is a bit inflated aswell with the whole 2010 soccer coming up.after that it will surely drop. would there be any other places stocking the sd pvr and relevent LNB? and at what price if anyone knows. I'll be looking at doing the installation myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    would there be any other places stocking the sd pvr and relevent LNB? and at what price if anyone knows.
    You are going to battle to find one new in a shop anywhere.You could check classifieds.It will be in the R3k price range.

What i dont understand is my friend's normal sd pvr died the other day aswell and multichoice exchanged it for a new sd pvr free of charge?? but anyway thanks again guys.much appreciated, will maybe have a look at the classifieds if i can get one for cheaper than hd pvr.

it is because he already had a sd pvr.

Quote Originally Posted by dlc View Post
    What i dont understand is my friend's normal sd pvr died the other day aswell and multichoice exchanged it for a new sd pvr free of charge?? but anyway thanks again guys.much appreciated, will maybe have a look at the classifieds if i can get one for cheaper than hd pvr.
    they gave him a refurbished one,, have two sd pvr's both have broke,, one due to power strike

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feesh View Post
    they gave him a refurbished one
    oh okay i c what u mean..thanks quys

Here is a SD PVR for you in the junkmail classifieds for R 3 500 :-) :

http://search.junkmail.co.za/view/Jo...-L295487-19001