Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A Story of a White African...

Default A Story of a White African...

(Something that I wrote)

A story of a White African…

I wish I could start this story off by saying “not so long ago”… but that would be very ignorant of me, for I am only 26 years old but yet my life began long before that. The story of my life began in 1948.

It was in that year that D.F. Malan implemented something that altered the course of South Africa forever… It affected all ethnicities of this beautiful country; it changed the lives of millions and would continue to do so long after it was abolished. I am talking of course of Apartheid. That name, "Apartheid", sigh… an Afrikaans name known all across the globe, a name that represents oppression, torture, sadness and so many other terrible things, a name that struck fear into the hearts of millions for over half a decade.

However… it is also a name that has been used as an excuse for incompetence, corruption, laziness and so many other terrible things. It’s a name that has turned into an excuse, rather than a terrible mistake and most of all… it’s a name that negatively portray the millions of white youth of this country.

You see, this story is not your average South African story… this story is one told without fear of reprimand, without fear of consequence and mostly… without fear of being labeled a racist.

The history books will show you that in 1994 this country became a democratic nation; the international media will have you believe that since then, all is well and thriving in this great nation, that white and black are hand in hand dancing off into the sunset… if this were only true.

There is saying that can sum up everything I want to say with regards to South Africa post 1994… it goes as follows:

“Sins of the Father”

Never has a saying rung so true for a specific ethnicity in this country. You see, since 1994 the white youth of this country have been punished for crimes not committed by them, they have been accused of being advantaged, being racists, being the oppressors and so many other things. They also have to endure being discriminated against, being labeled by an international community as narrow minded and selfish to name a few.

The discrimination within this country has become so unbearable that for millions of the white youth the only option has been to immigrate and once that has been achieved, they have to endure ridicule from the ill-informed international community.

Let me ask you this simple question:

If your father committed a crime, could you be held accountable for that crime if you had nothing to do with it?

I’m quite sure your answer would be “no”… so then please explain the following to me:

Why are we, as Young White South Africans:
    • Labeled as Racists by fellow countrymen and people abroad?
    • Blamed for Apartheid?
    • Being discriminated against? (AA and BEE)
    • Punished for something we had no control over?
    • Not given a job if qualified?
    • Told to leave the country because we don’t belong here?

I would love for YOU to give us an explanation to the questions we pose… YOU being the one that insult us and call us racists, yet no nothing about us or our circumstances, YOU being the one that so quickly judge us and blame us for Apartheid yet no nothing about the past and current events in this country, YOU being the one that tell us that should deal with discrimination because that is what the black man had to deal with for over 50 years yet forget that we didn’t cause Apartheid. YOU being the one that live in a peaceful crime free neighborhood overseas yet tell us that we overreact when we say that 55 murders a day are too much, YOU being the one that have luxuries in life yet attack us for exposing the governments lack of interest for people that don’t even have the basic necessities, YOU being the one with a nice comfortable career yet tell us that we’re inconsiderate towards the less qualified black men that got the job we applied for and lastly… YOU being the one that tell us that we should leave the country because we are white and therefore don’t belong in Africa

I am one of those Young White South Africans… and I want to tell you this:

I was born in Africa; therefore I am African and have just as much a right as any other Black-, Colored-, Indian- or Asian African to call this land my home. I will not feel guilty for being a White South African and I will definitely NOT apologise for Apartheid. I had no hand in it and I, still to this day, don’t agree with it.

I am a White African… and I am Proud of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LancelotSA View Post
    Rendier is my hero...

/gets out his popcorn

Yeah OK! FFS!
    DEL PythonFSi

I see you bringing your youtube stuff to mybb. Hopefully it will be just as successful as youtube.

Agree with you Rendier on every point you make!
    Gebore om te kuier, gedwing om te werk!

Quote Originally Posted by PythonFSi View Post
    Yeah OK! FFS!
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by LancelotSA View Post
    Rendier is my hero...

You're not going to influence the people who you are addressing in the story. If your story is a "call to arms" for other White Africans, then it's not going to make a difference either. After so many years there are still those that feel ashamed to be white, they are a lost cause. The rest of us have moved on and just don't care about the ignorant that try to blame us for things that happened before we were born.
    ---

Grandmaster
    Stellenbosch, Republic of the Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    If your father committed a crime, could you be held accountable for that crime if you had nothing to do with it?
    really? you did not benefit from the crimes your forefathers committed? You must be the first one then...

this response is from an acquaintance of mine on a similar discussion:

Revelling in the ill-gotten gains your immediate ancestors got by crook more than by hook is the moral equivalent of receiving stolen goods - Conrad says something about robbery on a grand scale in 1898, and just over 110 years later some people still seem to believe their way of living came about by accident and that they have no moral culpability.

If young white South Africans asked their parents what they did after 1977 (when internal white dissent became more public, more possible, though still at a cost) and after 1975 respectively, the answers would probably be very disconcerting for all concerned, hence its careful avoidance in middle class homes. Who, after all, served in those racist armed forces (and who were conscientious objectors!), who were police informants (and who were detainees), and how many voted for Botha and Ian Smith ... again, the answers would probably creep a whole lot of young people out. And if they dug just a little, they may find that their nice family home is built on land expropriated from people who are STILL ALIVE.

Super Grandmaster

Self pity much?
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weasley View Post
    /gets out his popcorn
    Please pass me some Here we go....
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    really? you did not benefit from the crimes your forefathers committed? You must be the first one then...
    Even if you benefit from it, you are still not accountable. It just means that you have a responsibility to help fix the errors of the past, but it does not mean you are responsible for the misdeeds that happened before you were born.
    ---

Grandmaster
    Stellenbosch, Republic of the Western Cape

Quote Originally Posted by psichron View Post
    Even if you benefit from it, you are still not accountable. It just means that you have a responsibility to help fix the errors of the past, but it does not mean you are responsible for the misdeeds that happened before you were born.
    Not accountable, rather morally culpable. As you say, you have a moral responsibility to help fix it.

And how many white people do you see doing this?

Case in point - did anyone see the Carte Blanche doccie about the whiteys in Claremont refusing to let the displaced coloured back into "their" upmarket suburb because they fear a drop in the property prices *puke*

But how do you fix things?

And how many white people do you see doing this?
    I see many.
    ---

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Case in point - did anyone see the Carte Blanche doccie about the whiteys in Claremont refusing to let the displaced coloured back into "their" upmarket suburb because they fear a drop in the property prices *puke*

Go squat next to Juiliasss and see how happy he is.
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

Quote Originally Posted by phoneJunky View Post
    But how do you fix things?
    We civilians can't fix it. It's up too the government to help us,

But clearly they don't care about this country
    Gebore om te kuier, gedwing om te werk!

Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast