Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Citius. Altius. Fortius.

Default Citius. Altius. Fortius.

Swifter. Higher. Stronger. That's what I'm looking for in my quest to get a new ADSL wireless router.

Long story short, I need some advice and recommendations on ADSL wireless routers with a strong signal strength and decent range. I do not necessarily require Wireless N capability. It should function well as I live in a double-storey so need something decent to connect an Xbox 360, Wii, notebook and iPhone.

I would prefer personal experience, advice and recommendations as opposed to biased opinions. I also have a few favorite brands and have a shortlist of model numbers but as stated, need a consistent, strong and far-reaching signal.

Any general comment or related information will be highly appreciated.
    Last edited by WBoshoff; 05-02-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wynand.boshoff View Post
    Swifter. Higher. Stronger. That's what I'm looking for in my quest to get a new ADSL wireless router.

Long story short, I need some advise and recommendations on ADSL wireless routers with a strong signal strength and decent range. I do not necessarily require Wireless N capability. It should function well as I live in a double-storey so need something decent to connect an Xbox 360, Wii, notebook and iPhone.

I would prefer personal experience, advice and recommendations as opposed to biased opinions. I also have a few favorite brands and have a shortlist of model numbers but as stated, need a consistent, strong and far-reaching signal.

Any general comment or related information will be highly appreciated.
    Hi Wynand

I would suggest the use of a Netgear WGT624V3​​ or WNR3500, due to range and reliability; however wireless signals travel in a straight line and therefore any wireless device will only provide good connectivity on one level.

You could try adjusting the antenna of the WGT624V3 at a 45 degree angle, which would improve connectivity downstairs.

The ideal would be to have two wireless units, one on each level. Also it might be advisable to have your current modem to provide the ADSL connection.

The cost per unit is: R 604.00 and R 1700.

Hope this helps.

Regards

M

Hi Michael

Thank you for the info - much appreciated.

The thing is, the wireless router will be placed downstairs. So I require good, consistent connectivity from at least one of the rooms upstairs.

At this point I'm trying to avoid two wireless routers, if possible. I'll first get one and see how that works out.

I also don't have any router at the moment, so I am looking to get a(n) (single) ADSL wireless router/modem. I have been looking at the Billion 7300N, which has 3 external antennas (I assume which are both adjustable and replaceable).

Wink Cisco

Cisco
    Access router 877W
    Aironet 1142 AP POE

You wanted Altius Citius Fortius ..............??????

MW

Yeah, at an el cheapo price. ;]

My suggestions
    1. Buy a 4 port ADSL modem and then get a Senao/eGenius EN-ECB3500 AP. It has got some serious range or
    2. Get a 4 port ADLS modem, a Linksys WRT54g, add dd-wrt firmware, add 9dbi aerials and crank up wireless output to 100-150mw.
    I have been running with WRT54g as above with edimax 4 port adsl modem (R450). WRT54g is upstairs and I get could signal downstairs thru slab. However, aerial oreientation is crucial.

Thanks tjandies, will look into those options as well.

OK, I phoned Telkom and apparently my ADSL line has been activated... two days ago! Eish - now I really need to get an ADSL wireless router... quick!

I just can't seem to make up my mind: Billion, Linksys or NetGear. Will let you know, for what it's worth, what I've decided on.

OK, I've finally managed to finalize a shortlist (in order of preference):

1. Linksys WAG160N (Link)
    2. Billion 7300N (Link)
    3. NetGear DGN2000 (Link)
    4. D-Link DSL-2740U (Link)

Pricing ranges from R1035 - R1294.
    Last edited by WBoshoff; 05-02-2014 at 02:14 PM.

OK, I've finally managed to finalize a shortlist (in order of preference):

1. Linksys WAG160N (Link)
    2. Billion 7300N (Link)
    3. NetGear DGN2000 (Link)
    4. D-Link DSL-2740U (Link)

Pricing range from R1035 - R1294.
    So? decide on your budget and buy the one withe the best specs for the money!

Also look at the NETGEAR 300MBPS WLRLS-N ADSL RTR + USBADAPT (DGNB2100-100EUS)

Includes a matching Wireles usb adapter for laptop/games console etc.

http://www.pcmall.co.za/moreinfo.asp...GNB2100-100EUS
    http://www.pcmall.co.za/moreinfo.asp...GNB2100-100EUS

Best price: http://www.isoftnet.co.za/adsl-modem.asp

You cannot go wrong with the netgear! If you want to split local and international trafic then read the posts about the wrt54g.

I second the WRT54G with DDWRT firmware. Been using it for almost 3 years now. Not a days trouble. Also 2 storey building.

OK, so I have decided on the Billion 7300N. Reasons include having owned a 7300G and being very satisfied. I also like the feature set and 3 external antennas. I never had to contact support but seems that Billion representatives are out and about. I even got to talk to the MD of the supplier. Apart from that, I have only read one, maybe two negative reviews on this device.

Concerning the WAG160N, I have unfortunately read too many negative reviews. Although it does look slick, it has 2 internal antennas and seems to suffer from frequent drop-outs. A real pity because I was really liking this model.

The DGN2000 also seems very good, although some people complained that it gets extremely hot and had to resort to all sorts of tactics to cool it down.

I know both the WAG160N and DGN2000 are both great and there's probably a lot of users using these without any problems whatsoever. However, I am confident that the 7300N is the better choice for me. I will probably just get a lightning surge protector as well.

Thanks for everyone's input - much appreciated.

At the moment Nivo seems to have the best pricing on the 7300N, so I guess I'll get it from them. Will let you know once I get it. Let's hope it performs as desired and lives up to the extremely high expectations I have for it. ;]
    Last edited by WBoshoff; 05-02-2014 at 02:16 PM.

OK, so I have decided on the Billion 7300N. Reasons include having owned a 7300G and being very satisfied. I also like the feature set and 3 external antennas. I never had to contact support but seems that Billion representatives are out and about. I even got to talk to the MD of the supplier. Apart from that, I have only read one, maybe two negative reviews of this device.

Concerning the WAG160N, I have unfortunately read too many negative reviews. Although it does look slick, it has 2 internal antennas and seems to suffer from frequent dropouts. A real pity because I was really liking this model.

The DGN2000 also seems very good, although some people complained that it gets extremely hot and had to resort to all sorts of tactics to cool it down.

I know both the WAG160N and DGN2000 are both great and there's probably a lot of users using these without any problems whatsoever. However, I am confident that the 7300N is the better choice for me. I will probably just get a lightning surge protector as well.

Thanks for everyone's input - much appreciated.

At the moment Nivo seems to have the best pricing on the 7300N, so I guess I'll get it from them. Will let you know once I get it. Let's hope it performs as desired and lives up to the extremely high expectations I have of it. ;]
    I'm also deciding between these models and am edging towards the Billion for the same reason

Would just like to know how the 7300n is treating you? Should I go for it instead of the Netgear DGN2000 with all it's over heating probs etc??

Thanks!

Sorry for only replying now. I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the 7300N! Will give more detail later. Let me know on which you decided.

Sorry for only replying now. I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the 7300N! Will give more detail later. Let me know on which you decided.
    Ok great! Thanks Wynand!

I'm probably also going for the 7300n and will get a usb-n adapter