Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Airliner overshoots airport; controllers feared hijacking

Default Airliner overshoots airport; controllers feared hijacking

Turns out : NTSB: Crew said they were in "heated discussion" and "lost situational awareness". Investigators are also looking into the possibility that the pilots fell asleep.

And:

Delta suffered another major embarrassment this week when a Delta pilot landed a passenger jet on a taxiway at Atlanta-Hartsfield International Airport instead of the runway. The NTSB also is investigating that case.

Which brings me to my point, with todays technology its really possible get a fully automated plane. I say ditch the pilots, let computers fly it completely and truthfully - I will feel MUCH safer in flight.

My biggest fear of flying is mechanical failure AND pilot error. Let a machine fly and I'll feel 100%, cause even if mechanical failure happens, i have a lot of more faith in a database of flying techniques coupled with lightning fast responses, instantaneous maneuvring and real parallel processing to bring the plane down safely than am imperfect scared pilot with normal human reflexes.
    Rurapente
    -------------------------------------------
    If real is what you can download, watch, upload and see, then 'real' is simply Mweb Internet.

Don't forget the A320 accident, which is a combination of human error, and computer error.

Autoland Crash

But, if you read that you will see it's a combination of factors, which is usually the case in any aircraft accident.

B

@Home:Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Proud Pentax K-30 Owner!

Thats great until u have complete system failure then there is not pilot computer down your basically stuffed

yes, but im not saying as-is, i mean spend money on powerful redundancy, multiple power sources etc.

Actually i spoke to an SAA pilot once, after an A320 made a PERFECT landing in CPT with such 0 visibility you couldnt see the wing outside and it touched down like a soft napkin on a table. (landed itself)

He said he doesnt see a time of computers flying ALONE, but thinks the outcome will be that the computers will do 100% of the flying one day, but there will be one or more pilots included with the crew, but possibly in the cabin, travelling on the flight instead of manning the cockpit. And then called-upon should a system failure occurr.

But that brings me to my next point, apart from the Hudson River pilot, if the plane is going down - i want the computer trying to save it, not a pilot. personal choice i guess.
    Rurapente
    If real is what you can download, watch, upload and see, then 'real' is simply Mweb Internet.

Blog Entries

What happens if the plane gets a BSOD?

Changes colour to RSOD?
    Financial Advisor with Old Mutual.
    PM a Brother for Financial Wealth, Funeral and Life Cover.

redundant systems!

A pilot has to look at sensors, readings, alerts and make decisions.

Thats already in the neural-cicuitry of a machine. It could take all those into account and make an informed decision and send the necessary system events in the time it takes the pilot to blink
    Rurapente

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LOL

can just imagine the panic and chaos when a critical system BSOD's at the wrong time...
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by rurapente View Post
    He said he doesnt see a time of computers flying ALONE, but thinks the outcome will be that the computers will do 100% of the flying one day, but there will be one or more pilots included with the crew, but possibly in the cabin, travelling on the flight instead of manning the cockpit. And then called-upon should a system failure occurr.
    Sorry but while I dont mind George flying the plane but problems can happen pretty quickly and I'd prefer a pilot to be right there and not kipping in the cabin.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Actually i spoke to an SAA pilot once, after an A320 made a PERFECT landing in CPT with such 0 visibility you couldnt see the wing outside and it touched down like a soft napkin on a table. (landed itself)
    Experienced one of those before when they just got the planes. The landing was great but it went to heavy on the front brake as everyone lurched forwards.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Experienced one of those before when they just got the planes. The landing was great but it went to heavy on the front brake as everyone lurched forwards.
    Pfft. do you think machines care about your comfort! :-) its job was to land the plane. the fact that your back is out is meaningless in binary
    Rurapente

Blog Entries

Pfft. do you think machines care about your comfort! :-) its job was to land the plane. the fact that your back is out is meaningless in binary
    ROFL
    Financial Advisor with Old Mutual.
    PM a Brother for Financial Wealth, Funeral and Life Cover.

Computers already fly most of the modern planes to about 200 feet above the runway. Laws require pilots to land manually every so often to remain fresh.

100% computer controlled planes sound great, but would you ever get on one without a pilot? Not likely.

When sensors, pitot tubes etc. give fails or differing readings, the computer shuts down. Then what do you do without a pilot? You have to have a human failsafe.

Fortunately the captain gave us prior notice that they are going to test the automatic landing feature. Skeptic that I am made me rest my one hand on the seat in front of me just in case, glad I did. Sorry for the other passengers though.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz{M} View Post
    Computers already fly most of the modern planes to about 200 feet above the runway. Laws require pilots to land manually every so often to remain fresh.

100% computer controlled planes sound great, but would you ever get on one without a pilot? Not likely.

When sensors, pitot tubes etc. give fails or differing readings, the computer shuts down. Then what do you do without a pilot? You have to have a human failsafe.
    Some FS-geek in the back who plays FSX?

Having flown an aircraft in FS, and sat in the jump-seat in the exact same aircraft, flying the exact same approach at the same airport. Let me just say, would rather leave it to the professionals.

B

@Home:Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    Proud Pentax K-30 Owner!