Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MTN BIS

Default MTN BIS

I took out a MTN TopUp 100 contract with A free Blackberry 8520 for R149 per month. The monthly subscribtion includes BIS and airtime to the value of R100. I have noticed that my R100 airtime gets less and less as I surf the internet on my phone. I called Nashua and was informed that certain sites are not free. This I dont understand. I don't stream videos and do any downlaods. Even when I am this website my airtime gets deducted. Anyone have any info on this?

Go to options, advance, tcp and remove all settings there. Als go to browser and make sure you default browser is set to internet browser.

And shouldn't the APN be set to BB?
    So many ideas, so little time... ;-)

Unhappy

Hi, I'm having the same problem. MTN Anytime350 and a Bold. Went to a MTN store and phoned 808 several times. Both confirms that I'm on the correct access point and that they can see no problem. If I'm using the "incorrect" access point or connect it to my laptop, that charges shows on MTN Active. BUT nothing shows on my account. Even if I just switch my phone on, make no calls and with NO applications running, airtime gets deducted. I suspect it must be something to do with the BIS as when I do heavy surfing, more airtime gets deducted. As my billing month closed on the 8th, I have lodged a query. (They told me only to lodge a query once the month has closed) As the problem is not solved, it still carries onto the next month. So for the problem to be fixed, it takes at least 2 months. Hope they can fix it soon.

I've never had this problem on my MTN Blackberry Bold. NEVER been charged for data in a year now and I use the internet a lot! I remember my first month I used 3GB of data through BIS for free downloading MP3s, files and watching Topgear on vuclip. There must be something dofgy going on.

If your settings are all correct you can not be charged.

Question

I only noticed this problem about the last month. Maybe there are other users having the same problem without knowing - someone wanna check their airtime daily and see if they have the same problem? Airtime deducted varies between a few cents up to a R100 the one day.

Quote Originally Posted by w1tw0lf View Post
    Go to options, advance, tcp and remove all settings there. Als go to browser and make sure you default browser is set to internet browser.
    Thanks will try it when I get home.

I noticed that my emails get charged as well. Anything from 2 - 4 cents. Does not sounds like much, but in principle I should not be charged anything extra outside the BIS value, for any surfing or sending emails.

What applications are running on your blackberry? Maybe something running in the background eating your data?

I know this thread has nothing to do with speed issues, just wanting to know if MTN BIS is running slow these days?

Been hearing about some issues, maybe isolated, so just checking here, not wanting to start a speed test saga
    Astound - enough plugging already

Had the same problem when I got my BB the first month. I was told to resend my Service Books.

Options
    Advandced Options
    Service Books
    Hold alt while typing sbeb
    Select OK

Hope this works for you too. Worked for mee.

Wink

@Piesang: Thanks! Have done so. Will have a look to see if the problem is fixed.

@Astound: Sometimes the MTN BIS is slow, but mostly fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jd.vdm View Post
    @Piesang: Thanks! Have done so. Will have a look to see if the problem is fixed.

@Astound: Sometimes the MTN BIS is slow, but mostly fast enough.
    Thanks for that, helps in making my final decision
    Astound - enough plugging already

Well you're not alone. I have the blackberry storm II on anytime 200 and on the first month of using the blackberry I used to wake up in the morning, having done a lot of surfing whilst the BIS works faster after 12 at night, only to find that about R40 of my Rand balance disappeared.
    I have called MTNsp many kaby times and hearing different stories of what the problem may be but this one time got to a guy who seemed to know what he was talking about and he told me if I do a billing query the charges should be reversed.
    he also mentioned that this is a common problem and mtn is aware of it. That being so, some of these unfair charges are shown as BIS discount on the monthly statement (the reversal) but the problem for has been the Rand balance because it doesn't show anywhere on the mtn database...so they say

Grandmaster

Are you 100 percent certain you're not using the MTN browser or any streaming applications?

Well orento if you are asking me then the answer is NO! I use the blackberry browser and its the one with the symbol of the world on it. Other than that I use opera mini.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast