Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: WoW - ADSL or ISDN?

Default WoW - ADSL or ISDN?

Hi

I have put in an order for ISDN so that I can play WoW, yes I am that addicted. But, I get the feeling that the 128 ISDN is going to get expensive, cuz I will be playing more than just weekends and a day or 2 during the week.

512 ADSL is a bit expensive for me though. I will be phoning Telkom to find out what the entire cost would be for 384 and 192.

My question is, will 192 be good enough for a decent ping in WoW?
    Will 3Gb be enough, or should I go for axxess's 10GB account?

Thanks

Well....192kbps will be more than enough in the sense of sending data as WoW uses very little Data flow. As far as the ping goes I dont think you'll be any worse of with ADSL than compared to ISDN. The plus with ADSL is you'll be able to play anytime for as long as u want to. I'm on iBurst and get good pings to the local Ethereal WoW server.
    Currently living in London.
    ADSL2+ @ 20mbps Uncapped for 21pm and that includes free evening and weekend landline calls.

you will be worse off with adsl
    isdn pings are much better for overseas gaming

gaming is not about speed of your line its about latency

WoW does not require killer pings....anything under 300ms is great for it. Addiction to WoW isn't to be taken lightly....it involves many many hours of playing. On ISDN especially 128kbps this could lead to an enormous phone bill

Just yesterday I played like 6 hours.....and the day before that 5 hours. I'm on iBurst and get 200ms ping when busy playing. Funny enough when I ping the site i get between 40 and 70ms. I also believe this to be server related as every one's pings increase when the server gets loaded.

ISDN will be better for international gaming.($$$)
    ADSL for local.

Also the distance you are from your exchange will influence your ping.

Hope this helps
    Currently living in London.
    ADSL2+ @ 20mbps Uncapped for 21pm and that includes free evening and weekend landline calls.

Grandmaster

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by P0tenc
    Just yesterday I played like 6 hours.....and the day before that 5 hours. I'm on iBurst and get 200ms ping when busy playing. Funny enough when I ping the site i get between 40 and 70ms. I also believe this to be server related as every one's pings increase when the server gets loaded.
    WHAT??? You get a ping of 200ms to WoW servers and 40-70ms on the (Warez) site? I'd hate to break is to you, but you must be playing on an local and illegal server! Not even unshaped ADSL gets those kind of pings to legit servers!

Here's a proper view for WoW and I play on legit servers in the USA:
    I have ADSL shaped (512kb) and a friend has ISDN (64kb). He gets around a ping of 450ms-600ms whereas I get around 700ms-900ms. To tell you the truth, I can hardly see the difference between the two. In fact I found ADSL better because of the bandwidth (512kb in comparison to 64kb) especially in towns where hundreds of people are in one area. When you are off soloing alone, ISDN seems a bit more responsive though, other than that there is very little difference.

The biggest issue with shaped ADSL is the end/beginning-of-the-month download-to-reach-your-3gig-cap spree. It retarts the whole of SA especially internationally. ISDN's gets a little extra lag, but ADSL is almost unplayable due to the shaping.

Grandmaster

Anyone playing with iBurst on international WoW servers? What's your ping like?

Gee, what is WoW, and where can I play it??

obviously hes pinging local server, the lowest ull get without data overhead would be around 220ms from SA atm.

If I take a 3GB account from Telkom, will that be enough to see me through the month playing WoW?

So those of you with ADSL are pretty much satisfied with the gameplay in WoW i see. Being addicted will definitely raise my phone bill to a price higher than the ADSL would have been except without the added 24/7 playability.

I think for a wow addict, it is more important to have 24/7 wow access than to have a higher latency. So u guys sure there isn't such a big difference in the gameplay, even if ISDN gets lower latency?

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by an3s; 05-05-2005 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added

Grandmaster

I just barely manage with a 3gig account, but luckily I have 2 accounts. Best option would be to get a 10gig from axxess!

Word of warning; your connection will be erratic during bussiness hours though (especially around 8am-9am, 12pm-1pm, 4pm-5pm), but during the past public holidays, I played without any issues.

I play WOW and SWG online, I have found that because i do not download too much I easily make it with 3 gig for a month. I do some e-mail and a fair amount of surfing.

If you play alone you should be fine, but If you run 2 players or more at a time you will not make it with 3gig.

I can however sugest that if at all possible to get an unshaped ADSL account.

I just got one and I must say that it feels like playing a new game. For the 1st time ever my ping is in the "yellow' range. (under 600) and that's realy awsome.

I still have to test it on a large raid to see what happens, but even on shaped it was fairly playable.

The packet-loss on the shaped account is the real bugger, on unshaped you have about 0 loss and your general "ping" is just under 100ms better.

my 2c

Does Telkom determine whether or not my connection is unshaped or is it the ISP? I know Telkom has an unshaped option, but I do not recall if it is an ADSL subscription option, or an ISP choice. If unshaped is an ISP choice, which would you recommend?

EDIT: Ah, I just saw that you said account lol. Could you recommend a few sites where I could look around for unshaped? Inexpensive the keyword here.
    Last edited by an3s; 05-05-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by martin
    Anyone playing with iBurst on international WoW servers? What's your ping like?
    Playing on usa servers and get pings on ave 700-900 on iburst. Its playable. I have also got ISDN and probably average 600-800 on isdn. To be honest i cannot really tell the difference while playing.

Currently the only other ISP I know that sells unshaped accounts other than telkom (over priced) is this one: http://www.saol.com/adsl.asp

I can't say how good or bad they are as this is my 1st week with em, time will tell I guess. Getting an account seems easy enough. Hope it lasts..

With an unshaped account it's actually posible to play during the day too..

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoosTa
    WHAT??? You get a ping of 200ms to WoW servers and 40-70ms on the (Warez) site? I'd hate to break is to you, but you must be playing on an local and illegal server! Not even unshaped ADSL gets those kind of pings to legit servers!
    IMHO paying a monthly subscription for a game you already own is insane.
    The liver is evil... and must be punished

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast