Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much bandwidth does online radio use use?

Question How much bandwidth does online radio use use?

Hi there!!

I enjoy listening to 702 radio, but I cannot get the AM signal in my office, so I have been listening online using their sound streaming feature on their website. My question is just how much bandwidth does this use up ? Am I going to find this using up my limit so that I find myself reaching my cap in the middle of the month?? Should I be concerened about this?

Thanks.

Harry

Just divide the stream kbps rate by 8 and you will get the kilobytes/second it uses.. so
    32Kbps = 4KB/s = 12MB/hour
    64Kbps = 8KB/s = 23MB/hour
    128Kbps = 16KB/s = 57MB/hour
    Telkom go google go!

Thanks MaD!! Guess I shoulda thought of that. Will Windows media give me the stream rate??

No prob ja it should show it at the bottom in the status bar.. should say "Playing 32kbps stream" or something like that
    Telkom go google go!

Yes, I have seen it. It's streaming at 16Kbps - which means I am using 6 megs per hour, right?? Ah well, at long last I am getting some value for my ADSL connection then!!

Thanks for the help, MaD!!

Harry

Now that is very interesting if you work it out an average person is at work for +- 8 hrs a day so

32Kbps = 4KB/s = 12MB/hour = 96 Meg a day = 2 Gig in a 21 day working cycle
    64Kbps = 8KB/s = 23MB/hour = 184 Meg a day = 3.8 Gig in a 21 day working cycle
    128Kbps = 16KB/s = 57MB/hour = 456 Meg a day = 9.6 Gig in a 21 day working cycle

So those who are on adsl can forget listening to radio the whole month if the listen to 64 k and up. What a shame and Telkom try to convince us that they need to cap to stop or reduce people downloading illegally.

Tut Tut

I listened to online radio yesterday evening on my ISDN line. At 112kbps, I used well over 100MB's in 2 hours. Im getting ADSL soon... I just hope the whole capping fiasco changes for the better.

Syzygy

Super Grandmaster

A pity Winamp Radio doesn't show bitrate. . Although I generally listen to it for around 40-1h a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Why is your name Polish? You are not black?

Super Grandmaster

I can vouch for the fact that your seriously limited with internet radio and the 3gig cap.
    If you still want to surf, email and get a few downloads, your limited to 1 hour a day at 128k

Axxess is looking like more of an option all the time.

Super Grandmaster

I tried using international radio stations and it ate up my bandwidth like crazy (also in the 50MB per hour range). Although international radio is awesome, so many to pick from :P

Super Grandmaster

I tend to listen in three or four times a week, mainly radio paradise or groove salad, but if the the mood takes me, I listen to a bit of classical - I'm trying to broaden my horizons a bit

the crazy thing is that I've found the lower bitrate versions of stations are more prone to disconnect than the higher bitrate - possibly because of buffering ?
    Wish I knew, I have no problem listening to 96k streams every now and then, or even 56k - but it's too unstable, so I end up on DSL speed stations, which chow big time !

Super Grandmaster

I just d/l a new skin for Winamp and the bitrate happens to be 128k ...damn f##king Telscum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    Why is your name Polish? You are not black?

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I tend to download howard stern each day, thats a lowquality 11meg .ra file that provides 4 hours of sleaze and shouting monday - friday, then pull down late night conspiracy radio shows (Coast to Coast am) off dc++ -which is usually around 60megs or so for 3-4 hours mp3 - usually I find either downloading radio shows, or ripping the streams and stashing them, is easier than 'live' listening - although I dont know if that makes a difference to the megs used..
    "One of the penalties for not taking an interest in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors" Plato

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGunman
    I tend to download howard stern each day, thats a lowquality 11meg .ra file that provides 4 hours of sleaze and shouting monday - friday, then pull down late night conspiracy radio shows (Coast to Coast am) off dc++ -which is usually around 60megs or so for 3-4 hours mp3 - usually I find either downloading radio shows, or ripping the streams and stashing them, is easier than 'live' listening - although I dont know if that makes a difference to the megs used..
    Dude, if you enjoy Howard Stern, then you should try look around online for old bootlegs of the "Opie and Anthony Show". They were on morning radio in the US until around mid 2001 (when they were "unsyndicated" and fired for encouraging people to have sex in church ) They started the whole "WoW" craze in New York. WoW stood for "Whipit Out Wednesday" and they hired buses where woman could climb aboard for free and they drove around manhattan all day with woman "flashing" out the windows. Was very cool and very funny My all time favourite was every xmas time they took a whole bunch of homeless people off the street, gave them a couple hundred $$$s, and took them shopping in upmarket malls and stores. Caused a riot
    Opie and Anthony are legend...

Grandmaster

oh, i forgot about the baseball bat they had in the studio and "f your boss friday"...
    Dont ask what they used to do with the baseball bat...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast