Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Changing from Vodacom to MTN

Default Changing from Vodacom to MTN

Hi i need some help changing from Vodacom prepaid BIS to MTN prepaid BIS.
    Has anyone done it? What do i need to do?
    Is it just a matter of inserting the new sim and activating MTN BIS or do i have to delete certain stuff first?

All i know is that ou have to call vodacom and asked them to release our pin. Would also like to know what the steps are and would like to keep m current number as well if possible.

Blog Entries

I know I'm not really helping you directly, but I recommend you stay away from MTN, and stick with Vodacom. MTN's customer service is pathetic and their billing and administration systems are a mess. MTN can't seem to handle complex tasks like porting, switching their own customers from contract to prepaid, sorting out billing issues etc. It's almost impossible to get any problem sorted out with MTN.

So I recommend you stick with Vodacom, especially since you want to port to MTN, and this involves the BIS. They will most likely fsck it up royally, and then when you try to get help, you will be given the run around, you will wait for hours on hold, only to speak to an uneducated idiot at the MTN call center fish market.

Stay away, for sanity's sake, and for your own health.

You'll be porting out only to port back in after a while....... Rather the devil you know than the one you don't know

I am prepaid, so if there is away of eas porting my current phone nr to them i will be making the move. MTN offer bes on prepaid which i want. Only thing that will be stopping me is if vodacom will be offering it in the next month or two.

I see what everybody means about the bad customer service from MTN. I bought a sim card and the airtime for MTN BIS bit had trouble loading the airtime.
    So after being on hold a long time and 3 very frustrating calls i find out that i have to wait for a sms from rica before i can load airtime. That will take between 24 and 48 hours. Then only can i activate MTN BIS.

Im not really porting my number or anything. Just getting a new MTN prepaid sim with a new number as i have not been happy with Vodacom BIS. I hope the switch works. Will keep you updated as i know there are others that also want to change over.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xlungu View Post
    Will keep you updated as i know there are others that also want to change over.
    Please do.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicWazte View Post
    Please do.
    I am defnately one of them

Ok it didnt take between 24 and 48 hours to activate.

I activated MTN BIS and after a restart i had capital EDGE signal. All the applications worked fast. And i mean REAL fast
    But the bad news is that the device is network locked when it comes to the setup of email. It only gives the vodafone address option. The vodafone browser icon is still there but it takes you to the MTN wap page.
    I dont know how to change that or even if it is possible.

Its sad that i have to go back to 'timed out' applications after i had a glimpse of the other side.

Grandmaster

You can do a firmware upgrade with MTN firmware to solve the problem (I think).

Ok it didnt take between 24 and 48 hours to activate.

I activated MTN BIS and after a restart i had capital EDGE signal. All the applications worked fast. And i mean REAL fast
    But the bad news is that the device is network locked when it comes to the setup of email. It only gives the vodafone address option. The vodafone browser icon is still there but it takes you to the MTN wap page.
    I dont know how to change that or even if it is possible.

Its sad that i have to go back to 'timed out' applications after i had a glimpse of the other side.
    No need to go back. Call vodacom 155, ask to release pin from there network. On a pc go to http://mtn.blackberry.com, setup account and all shouldbe working.

Just went past and mtn shop, for me on prepaid it will cost 110 to port m nr and then it should be active in 2 to 24hours.

Will be doing it friday morning, just in case of an hickups somewhere along the line

Quote Originally Posted by w1tw0lf View Post
    No need to go back. Call vodacom 155, ask to release pin from there network. On a pc go to http://mtn.blackberry.com, setup account and all shouldbe working.
    Thank you it worked. I am now on MTN BIS and emails and everything working very nice.
    The only thing is that i can not add delete addresses from the device as it still says vodafone. And the vodafone browser icon is still there but it puts me through to mtn's page.
    Im busy with a MTN firmware download and hopefully that will fix that problem as oronte suggested.
    Im feeling quite good about this as i did a speed test and it is not bad at all.
    Thanx for all the help guys!

Master

The problem that you seem to be having is because of device branding.

In my situation I have a MTN issued Curve 8900 with a Vodacom sim in it. My Vodafone Live icon (does'nt exist) and is the MTN logo (it does display Vodafone Live when you move the cursor over it)

Changing the firmware will not work , de-branding is another exercise to entirely remove the operators theme pack from the device.

If I were you I would ignore the logo (whatever carrier you on , clicking on their logo will take you to their site and if you have another networks sim card in the device then you will goto their site)

See attached pic.

Thank you it worked. I am now on MTN BIS and emails and everything working very nice.
    The only thing is that i can not add delete addresses from the device as it still says vodafone. And the vodafone browser icon is still there but it puts me through to mtn's page.
    Im busy with a MTN firmware download and hopefully that will fix that problem as oronte suggested.
    Im feeling quite good about this as i did a speed test and it is not bad at all.

Master

On the home screen goto Setup and then select Mobile Email Settings. Depending on the relevant sim in your device ie MTN or Vodacom , it will take you to that carriers branded version of the Research In Motion site to "sign up" for your email profile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast