Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Late car license renewal

Blog Entries

Default Late car license renewal

Hey guys.

I only realised it today, but my car license expired on 31 October 2009.

Do you know if there are any penalty fees for late renewal, and if so, how much? Do they charge per day, per week, or per month? Do you know how much a regular (not late) car license renewal will cost.

Went to a local shop that does renewals (apparently they queue for you) and they quoted me R360, including penalties because I am late. Does this sound resonable?

I've got my license/receipt from last year (the one that comes with the license disc on it that you need to cut out), and it says the total cost was R225.

LOL my wife's Yaris has expired in July, we moved city so we could not go back and do eeeet...so we going on holiday back to the city and going to do it, hope there's no penalties...lol

These guys who queue for you, normally ask a service fee.

If they license last year was R225, the penalties (worked out per month) *should* be 225/12*2 (your grace period has already expired, so the penalise you for Nov and Dec).

I am not 100% sure if this is how they calculated, but thinking back on all the fines I've had to pay, this seems correct
    Flickr Photos
    Google it you moron
    Vernon Koekemoer sal jou doodmaak, stadig en aaklig

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicWazte View Post
    Hey guys.

I only realised it today, but my car license expired on 31 October 2009.

Do you know if there are any penalty fees for late renewal, and if so, how much? Do they charge per day, per week, or per month? Do you know how much a regular (not late) car license renewal will cost.

Went to a local shop that does renewals (apparently they queue for you) and they quoted me R360, including penalties because I am late. Does this sound resonable?

I've got my license/receipt from last year (the one that comes with the license disc on it that you need to cut out), and it says the total cost was R225.
    I renewed mines abt a month ago and it cost me R309(i was not late).
    R360 not that bad imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by milomak View Post
    ah yes. the ag old assessment tha a black player that isn't performing is a matter of AA/EE. While the white counterpart is merely out of form.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the responses people...

It seems I can renew at the Post Office - thanks to the myBB tag cloud - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/tags.php?tag=car+license.

/rushes off to Post Office

Do you know if there are any penalty fees for late renewal, and if so, how much?

Yes, no idea on cost outside of grace period.

Yes, sounds about right.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For once we paid our car's licence on time

Whereas previously, every year we were late with payment.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Dude...
    i got pulled over in a massive road block ,to have my two year expired car license brought to my attention(Naive.. i know). Shortly afterward i was shown some BS table with what my fine alone would be ,R1250.
    Then the very nice officer man settled on a R30 on site fee, to let me go. Despite being crowded with police officers, he did not have a problem with being very open with his own little fee.
    Which apparently was for a hamburger. And trust me im no sweet talking little wonder***** , he bribed himself and I promised to renew my car license.
    It cost me R680 to renew my 20 month expired car license

There are penalty fees. But they are not massive.
    We forgot to renew one of the Bakkies at work and overshot it by two months.
    R360 was the initial cost and we paid R460.

The penalties fees are that you pay double or so for the time that it was expired.
    You pay the normal price for the next year but then only have to renew in one years time so really half the penalty is towards the actual license cost.
    ie. licenses are R240 a year. You are 2 months late. You will pay R240 for the next year and R20*2 in penalties and R20*2 for the months you had no license. (so you've paid for 14 months and double for the 2 you were late)

Blog Entries

Thanks for the responses people...

It seems I can renew at the Post Office - thanks to the myBB tag cloud - http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/tags.php?tag=car+license.

/rushes off to Post Office
    Went to the Post Office and renewed it myself!

It was quite quick, and easy. Service was good. They print it and issue it to you same time. It took me about 10 minutes inside the Post Office, max. What took the longest was filling in all my details on the form. My geeky fingers haven't had writing experience in a long time. My hand was actually sore by the end of the form!

It costed me R313.20 total, instead of R360 at the local shop. Penalty fees amounted to R61.20. I'm guessing that's 30.60 per month overdue. They only accept cash though. You can't pay by card. But you can do a PostBank withdrawal at the Post Office, which attracts a SASwitch Fee from your bank

EDIT: Now where can I get one of those round stickers so that I can attach my license to the windscreen??
    Last edited by Saajid; 10-12-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Something I noticed a few years back is you must NEVER pay your license until after it has expired otherwise you only get 11 months worth out of the renewal. It's renewed from the month you pay so if your license expires at the end of say January and you renew in January. Your new license will expire the following December. You pay for Jan twice.
    Why yes, my one eye is bigger than the other. Thanks for pointing that out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MadMailMan View Post
    Something I noticed a few years back is you must NEVER pay your license until after it has expired otherwise you only get 11 months worth out of the renewal. It's renewed from the month you pay so if your license expires at the end of say January and you renew in January. Your new license will expire the following December. You pay for Jan twice.
    In other words, if your license expires end of January, then you need to renew on the 1st of Feb? I bet the Post Office, or licensing/motoring Department will be full, and chaotic at this time of the month.. Maybe it's worth it just lose the 1 month and save yourself from frustration?

In other words, if your license expires end of January, then you need to renew on the 1st of Feb? I bet the Post Office, or licensing/motoring Department will be full, and chaotic at this time of the month.. Maybe it's worth it just lose the 1 month and save yourself from frustration?
    There is a sufficient grace period in order for you to do it in. Every year mine creeps one month ahead if I'm not mistaken.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Isn't it the cost based on the weight of the vehicle?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast