Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Luggage and SAA

Default Luggage and SAA

Hi,
    Just wondered whether anyone recently flew SAA from London to JHB? Do they shrink wrap luggage for passengers or should I have it done myself?
    Over the years I have found that some airlines do, some don't, just want to check the current situation. Flying on the 24th, so lots of pressies in my luggage.

Blog Entries

none of the airlines will do it for you... you have to get it done by a third party at the air port. It is not part of the airlines service... you have to pay for it. And it is kinda pointless anyway since it will not stop theft, and security will just cut it off if they want to inspect your bag.

Super Grandmaster

No doubt the ACSA workers will have a bountiful christmas then.
    The manufacturer recommended that the pellets be heated to a temperature of 78.3 degrees.

There is a baggage wrap place at Heathrow (on the 1st floor I think), it costs 5 pounds to wrap it. I would recommend getting it wrapped not just for security, but also to protect your bag. I wrapped mine and the plastic was badly damaged when it arrived in JHB, my bag would have had nasty scratches and marks if it had not been for the wrapping.

add travel insurance with luggage insurance. plastic just tells you the case was opened, doesnt stop someone who was gonna rip through material anyway.
    Rurapente
    -------------------------------------------
    If real is what you can download, watch, upload and see, then 'real' is simply Mweb Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by wotalotigot View Post
    Hi,
    Just wondered whether anyone recently flew SAA from London to JHB? Do they shrink wrap luggage for passengers or should I have it done myself?
    Over the years I have found that some airlines do, some don't, just want to check the current situation. Flying on the 24th, so lots of pressies in my luggage.
    Have it wrapped yourself or the ACSA workers will be enjoying some presents.....
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

IMO it does help a little, it's like burglar bars on your house, just adds two minutes to the time to get through it - maybe that is enough of a deterrent.
    On the internet you can be anything you want.

It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

Thanks for the feedback. I have had my luggage wrapped for free by the airlines at least twice when flying from JHB to Europe (once on Virgin, can't remember the second airline), but wasn't sure about flying into JHB. The second time they obviously had more experience, because they made us write our names in huge letters on paper to put underneath the plastic; the first time one basically had to check every single item on the conveyor belt up close because they all looked the same in their cocoons.