Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It just died :(

Grandmaster

Default It just died :(

After many years of loyal service, my backup 80gb drive just keeled over...
    No power, no spinning. There was no power surge, no clicking, nothing - it just died.

Problem is I have all my photographs (amoung other data of course) on this drive.
    Anyone got any suggestions on data recovery?

Is it an internal or external?
    \ I see Tech People \

Well, if it cant turn on then data recovery will be quite expensive
    Gebore om te kuier, gedwing om te werk!

Where are your backups?

Grandmaster

It's an internal 3.5" SATA and is my backup drive.
    Mostly just for photo's, music, movies etc. I used it more as a temporary storage since most of my stuff is on discs. Just left whatever I was too lazy to burn on there

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_82 View Post
    After many years of loyal service, my backup 80gb drive just keeled over...
    No power, no spinning. There was no power surge, no clicking, nothing - it just died.

Problem is I have all my photographs (amoung other data of course) on this drive.
    Anyone got any suggestions on data recovery?
    burial service is at 3pm ?
    Disclaimer: The use of my free time precludes any reproach
    Latest: There is something terribly wrong

tried a different power source and/or sata cable?
    There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by moggie View Post
    tried a different power source and/or sata cable?
    Yeah tried that. Tried different machines as well. BIOS won't pick it up, nor will Windows. To be expected seeing as how the drive doesn't seem to be spinning or have any power.

Read about freezing it for a few hours, which I think I'll try. Also read about switching out the logical boards but will need another identical drive to make that happen so that'll be quite tough.

Don't really wanna fork out thousands on data recovery but would like to have my photo's back at least - it's the only thing on the drive that can't be replaced

Can you post the drive make, model and other figures on the sticker - maybe someone has a spare where you can use the logical board to get your data off.
    PhenomII X6 1100T | Asus M5A99X Evo | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD | 16GB Hyper-X | Radeon HD6850 | Win7 Ult 64 | HX850 PSU | 2x Samsung 2333SW | CM690ii | H80 Cooler

Try tap it. If the disk is not spinning it could be that the bearing is seized (or seizing). Gently tap the drive in the centre of the spindle with your knuckle, as if you were knocking on a door. If the disk starts spinning, immediately copy all your stuff off and junk-it. I have recovered many disks this way....

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Conradl View Post
    Try tap it. If the disk is not spinning it could be that the bearing is seized (or seizing). Gently tap the drive in the centre of the spindle with your knuckle, as if you were knocking on a door. If the disk starts spinning, immediately copy all your stuff off and junk-it. I have recovered many disks this way....
    Yeah tried shaking it when it was unplugged. Will try the tapping thing - I assume this is when it's plugged in and the machine is on?

Quote Originally Posted by howardb View Post
    Can you post the drive make, model and other figures on the sticker - maybe someone has a spare where you can use the logical board to get your data off.
    Cool...

Make: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (80GB)
    Model: ST380817AS
    S/N: 5MR0S27A
    P/N: 9W3932-370
    HDA P/N: 100334813
    Config: C4R-03
    Firmware: 3.42

Blog Entries

wrap it in plastic and put in the fridge for an hour. Then plug it in and try turning it on.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    wrap it in plastic and put in the fridge for an hour. Then plug it in and try turning it on.
    Yeah read about that one. Will give it a bash when I get home today.
    I'm hoping it's not a big problem. My PC has been dormant for a few weeks - drive worked fine before that

Quote Originally Posted by charlie_82 View Post
    Yeah tried shaking it when it was unplugged. Will try the tapping thing - I assume this is when it's plugged in and the machine is on?

Cool...

Make: Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (80GB)
    Model: ST380817AS
    S/N: 5MR0S27A
    P/N: 9W3932-370
    HDA P/N: 100334813
    Config: C4R-03
    Firmware: 3.42
    Yes, you have to do it when the machine is on and ready to copy your data. Before you freeze the drive, which should be last resort after you have accepted that your data is gone, try to first determine the problem.

Try this: Unplug the power cable (keep the SATA cable in) from the disk and boot your machine, the POST should run through quickly when detecting the disk drives (as the disk is not powered). Then plug the power back in and boot again. If the machine boots at the same speed, then the disk is not getting power, and there may be a problem with the board.

If the machine takes a long time to boot, i.e. it hangs when detecting disks, then the disk is powered and detected; but the POST is waiting for the disk to spin up, until it finally times out.

In the first instance you would need to replace the board, in the second tapping the disk gently could make it spin.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Conradl View Post
    Yes, you have to do it when the machine is on and ready to copy your data. Before you freeze the drive, which should be last resort after you have accepted that your data is gone, try to first determine the problem.

Try this: Unplug the power cable (keep the SATA cable in) from the disk and boot your machine, the POST should run through quickly when detecting the disk drives (as the disk is not powered). Then plug the power back in and boot again. If the machine boots at the same speed, then the disk is not getting power, and there may be a problem with the board.

If the machine takes a long time to boot, i.e. it hangs when detecting disks, then the disk is powered and detected; but the POST is waiting for the disk to spin up, until it finally times out.

In the first instance you would need to replace the board, in the second tapping the disk gently could make it spin.
    I'm pretty sure it's not the motherboard cos I've tried it in two machines. Will try the tapping thing in a few minutes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast