Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Android vs Symbian

Default Android vs Symbian

Greetings!!

I’m familiar with the symbian software loaded on the nokia phones. It is quick and simple to use even though it does tend to freeze up from time to time. There are also tons of cools app and games for symbian. I need to know what is the main architecture difference with between Symbian and Android? Is Android more stable, faster, or over all just better? And will it be able to run symbian applications?

Cheers,

git

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ugan.git View Post
    Greetings!!

I’m familiar with the symbian software loaded on the nokia phones. It is quick and simple to use even though it does tend to freeze up from time to time. There are also tons of cools app and games for symbian. I need to know what is the main architecture difference with between Symbian and Android? Is Android more stable, faster, or over all just better? And will it be able to run symbian applications?

Cheers,

git
    Very different.

Symbian packages are totally incompatible with Android.
    Symbian is a closed software system. You have no access to the OS. No customization etc.

Android is opensource. Since you could get the SDK, you can develop for, and customize the OS as you wish.

Stability, well that depends on who writes the software. So far I have had NO hassles on my Hero, where I used to encounter problems every-now-and-then with my 5800 XpressMusic.
    Hubert H. Humphrey
    “Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.”

Basically, it's like the difference between Windows and Linux.

Symbian being the Windows-like equivalent and Android - Linux.

So, the answer is always "yes" or "better" when it comes to Android

I have Android on my HTC and I love it. There is software available to make symbian games and apps work on Android.
    Last edited by realbigdreamer; 10-01-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Also don't confuse Nokia Series 40 with Series 60, huge difference.
    \ I see Tech People \

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by iDenTiTy View Post
    Very different.

Symbian packages are totally incompatible with Android.
    Symbian is a closed software system. You have no access to the OS. No customization etc.

Android is opensource. Since you could get the SDK, you can develop for, and customize the OS as you wish.

Stability, well that depends on who writes the software. So far I have had NO hassles on my Hero, where I used to encounter problems every-now-and-then with my 5800 XpressMusic.
    A while ago Nokia released a press release that they are going to open source Symbian, this was just after they bought Symbian but I have not seen anything since.

Symbian programming is C++ based and Android is Java.

Android also runs on a linux kernel and I heard in the v2 of Android that they are going to release API's that allows you to talk to the acual os. Not sure if it happened, it's been a while since I wrote a Android app.
    Everyone's first vi session. ^C^C^X^X^X^XquitqQ!qdammit[esc]qwertyuiopasdfghjkl;:xwhat

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veroland View Post
    A while ago Nokia released a press release that they are going to open source Symbian, this was just after they bought Symbian but I have not seen anything since.

Symbian programming is C++ based and Android is Java.

Android also runs on a linux kernel and I heard in the v2 of Android that they are going to release API's that allows you to talk to the acual os. Not sure if it happened, it's been a while since I wrote a Android app.
    Well, Android source is available.. (can get it from HTC).
    Hubert H. Humphrey
    “Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of discussion, dissent, and debate.”

Quote Originally Posted by Drake2007 View Post
    Also don't confuse Nokia Series 40 with Series 60, huge difference.
    S40 aint Symbian anyway.

LMFAO! @ No customization in Symbian, just visit iPmart, with a C2z Patch and HelloOX a Symbian is highly customizable.