Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Solar geyser vs Heatpump Geyser vs Gas Geyser

Default Solar geyser vs Heatpump Geyser vs Gas Geyser

Hi Guys

I wanted to start a discussion about this with Eskoms 35% increases comming for the next 3 years we all have to think of saving electricity but what is the best option

From all the research I have done a Geyser will account for more than 50% of your monthly electrical bill so it should be one of the first things to make more efficient

There are 3 options from what I have seen

Solar, Heat pump, Gas

I don't really think gas is an option because its quite expensive already so you replace one expensive power for another

So the proper choices are heat pump or Solar

has anyone installed either of these systems

Which is the best and most power efficient one to install

What type of temperatures does the solar geyser get the water up to?

Same question for the heat pump geyser what temperature does it get the water up to?

Has anyone really seen good saving in electricity installing either of these systems

If you install these systems does you geyser ever switch on again of does it just switch on less

What's the cost of these systems and how much do you get from the rebate that Eskom offers do you even get the rebate?

Don't write off gas that quick.

Its way more economical as the water is heated up as it is needed, despite the cost of gas its way more energy efficient.
    Last edited by Nerfherder; 11-01-2010 at 10:37 AM.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Heat pump + SWH is pure win.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Don't write off gas that quick.

Its way more economical as the water is heated up as it is needed, despite the cost of gas its way more energy efficient.
    have you got any numbers to back that up or some personal experience. The amount of Gas required to heat up a standard geyser compared to an electrical one what is the actual cost saving?

Quote Originally Posted by BCO View Post
    Heat pump + SWH is pure win.
    have you go one installed. If so which one is better

the heat pump one I think would look nicer than the SWH

What type of cost savings have you seen does you electrical gesyer still get used?

I think he meant a combination of the two. Solar water heaters only work as long as you have enough sunshine, and I'd imagine it doesn't always heat the water to a high enough temperature. Combine it with a standard water heater or heat pump to ensure you always have warm water.

That said, how much are you going to pay extra for a solar heater + heat pump combo? How long will it take you to make up for the price difference between that and using a standard water heater?
    ---

Thanks psichron

Good question

I am just concerned that if you install a SWH and keep your current Geyser that the Solar water heater won't be able to keep the water temp up for a high percentage of the time and you will have to reply of your electrical geyser which is against the whole point of doing this..

I have a friend in Israel they don't even install electrical Geysers any more they just have solar and they but they have a lot more sun than we do.

has anyone got pricing on one of these installations and what the rebate will be.

Quote Originally Posted by killkom View Post
    have you got any numbers to back that up or some personal experience. The amount of Gas required to heat up a standard geyser compared to an electrical one what is the actual cost saving?
    Well it all depends on your usage.

But if you are like me and shower in the morning and wash dishes at night then you use your geyser very little, BUT your geyser is heating up all day !
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

But if you are like me and shower in the morning and wash dishes at night then you use your geyser very little, BUT your geyser is heating up all day !
    yeah I sorted out the geyser running the whole day thing I put a timer on it

It now runs for a Maximum od 2.5 hours per day now I have seen good savings with this timer but even with the savings it accounts for 50% of my electrical bill

Before someone says timers don't work and that's all this thread becomes about I am I purchased one of those Efergy E2 monitors and Trust me I have done extensive testing with it and a Timer will save you money

yeah I sorted out the geyser running the whole day thing I put a timer on it

It now runs for a Maximum of 2.5 hours per day now on normal days and a bit longer on days the house keeper is there I have seen good savings with this timer but even with the savings the geyser still accounts accounts for 50% of my electrical bill

Before someone says timers don't work and that's all this thread becomes about I am I purchased one of those Efergy E2 monitors and Trust me I have done extensive testing with it and a Timer will save you money

Quote Originally Posted by killkom View Post
    ............... a Timer will save you money
    Yep... only if it is in sync with the family usage.

Buy 50m of black hose pipe, lay it up and down your roof in the shape of a sideways m, attach one side to water supply, other to geyser inlet. Cheap, effective way of getting hot water INTO the geyser without anything fancy. 50m of pipe will give you more than enough hot water for the day time. (Washing machines, dishwashers, evening showers). Easily saves geyser 40% of total heating.

Best thing about this, is its DIY, and will take you around 30mins once you have all the pieces. Cost you around R500 for the pipe (industrial quality), and there's no maintenance (*ahem* solar roof geysers monthly clean *ahem*).
    I-Rah los Pruzah ahrk Mul
    IMA CHEMICAL ENGINEER WEO
    Agents are people too.
    Just because I'm technically bloody and imperialist doesn't prove anything!

Quote Originally Posted by agentrfr View Post
    Cheap, effective way of getting hot water INTO the geyser without anything fancy. 50m of pipe will give you more than enough hot water for the day time. (Washing machines, dishwashers, evening showers). Easily saves geyser 40% of total heating.
    The problem comes in is that the existing water in the geyser is being kept at a constant temperature and this is where perhaps a timer could offer some benefits.

Have you considered a Gas water heater?

http://www.bouplek.co.za/

Nice link with some very usefull info:

http://www.gosurfonline.co.za/tankless.html
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by agentrfr View Post
    Buy 50m of black hose pipe, lay it up and down your roof in the shape of a sideways m, attach one side to water supply, other to geyser inlet. Cheap, effective way of getting hot water INTO the geyser without anything fancy. 50m of pipe will give you more than enough hot water for the day time. (Washing machines, dishwashers, evening showers). Easily saves geyser 40% of total heating.

Best thing about this, is its DIY, and will take you around 30mins once you have all the pieces. Cost you around R500 for the pipe (industrial quality), and there's no maintenance (*ahem* solar roof geysers monthly clean *ahem*).
    This is brilliant! Obvious, cheap, effective, failsafe (for hot water) and DIY (I wish I had thought of it). All hail.

It occurs to me that the expansion of the heated water (liquids are uncompressible) would put undue stress on the piping walls (and other pipes) and valves in the system. A water pressure relief valve, on the ‘cold’ side so as not to lose hot water, would be a wise addition.

After a few years, wouldn’t the piping degrade and perish in the sunlight due to ultraviolet and thermal issues?

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast