Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Concurrent ISP's

Default Concurrent ISP's

Is it possible to have concurrent ISP's? If i have a modem router and i have say a telkom isp account can i then run a afrihost account simultaneously? or would i need another modem router?

Blog Entries

Yes it is possible. Look up Route Sentry and Traffic Splitter. Preferably Traffic Splitter as it is still supported. Some routers can run scripts to split traffic between ISP accounts. So can IPCop and Smoothwall however you need an additional computer for that to work.

Do you want to split two international accounts? Generally local and international accounts are split.

EDIT: This will probably be the easiest http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=201023
    Last edited by Kaufies; 11-01-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: `

YES i would like to split two internatiioal accounts, will checkout that link. thanks

Blog Entries

if you are just looking to run one/multiple devices off differnt ISP's and NOT splitting traffic to different places bridge/half-bridge mode will work. Meaning each device has a PPOE account which it dials into
    Storage: 3.8TB OS:Win 7 X64 Phone: iPhone 4 32GB ADSL Line: 4MB
    ISP: MWEB Uncapped Usenet Server: Newsdeamon Unlimited

Hmm i am not sure what u mean by multiple devices. we have one adsl modem router. and three connected pc's. Just i will use the other account, but i must access it thru the same adsl modem router we have now.

does the modem normally support multiple connections running concurrently? we have the Netgear modem router

Quote Originally Posted by The Philosopher View Post
    Hmm i am not sure what u mean by multiple devices. we have one adsl modem router. and three connected pc's. Just i will use the other account, but i must access it thru the same adsl modem router we have now.

does the modem normally support multiple connections running concurrently? we have the Netgear modem router
    You would have to reconfigure the modem for "bridged mode". You would then need to manually set up your ISP details on every machine that needs to connect to the Internet.

is that a complicated procedure?

Blog Entries

is that a complicated procedure?
    What router do you have?

Basically it involves dialing into your router, changing the mode and creating accounts for each ISP on the computers that will be using them. Not hard at all!

COOL, i have the netgear one.

so i set the router into bridge mode then managethe connections from my pc. sweet. will read up on bridge mode

COOL, i have the netgear one.

so i set the router into bridge mode then managethe connections from my pc. sweet. will read up on bridge mode
    Look under your router to see what model Netgear router you have and post it here. It's probably going to be something like DG834G or something.

Blog Entries

This is a simple process really. I'm not familiar with your router/OS but here are some generic instructions:

Setting up bridge mode: Dial into your router (enter the IP in your browser). Your router has an IP address, username and password. Your router is most probably in PPPoE/PPPoA mode. Set that to Bridge mode. Save and exit.

Setting up PPPoE accounts. On XP go to Network Connections, create new connection, connect to the internet, set up my connection manually, connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password, enter the ISP name (you can call it anything), fill in the username and password and finish.

In Windows 7 go to the Network and Sharing centre, set up new connection or network, select your router and fill in the details.

You can then dial that connection from the start menu. You can create as many connections as you like or just use one and change the username/password when you want to use another account.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

With the dg845gu v5, you could simply use it as a router and enable PPPOE-RELAY under WAN setup. That would configure it as 'half-bridge', allowing the both the router and clients connected to the router to dial PPPoE connections.

Using that configuration, any PC connected to the router would have Internet access, using the account dialed by the router. The advantage is that the PC's can also dial their own accounts if they don't want to use the cap of the account on the router.

i have done that befor, works well

Thanks guys. these two solutions seem like viable options!