Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Prepaid Virtual Credit Cards?

Default Prepaid Virtual Credit Cards?

I've been looking for something like this for a while as to get a real cc you have to have a minimum monthly income afaik, and I just want to buy some stuff online and not actually use credit at all.

I have yet to look into these things much myself (check up on legitimacy etc.), but I wondered if anyone here has maybe used them or any other similar service?

Some info from their FAQ:

Which Bank issues your virtual credit cards?

Our Visa cards are issued by European Union banks, Our Mastercard are issued by USA banks. Our cards are accepted anywhere VISA/Mastercard is accepted. (Online stores, Adwords, Paypal, Amazon…)

Can I apply for a card?

There is no application you simply buy it using paypal, Alertpay, Libertyreserve, western union, moneygram or bank wire, no matter
    where you live.

Can I use it from my country?

Yes you can use it from any country.

What exactly is a virtual credit card?

Virtual Credit Card is a prepaid & reloadable card that works like a real credit card. It can be used at web sites, online merchants, internet shops & web stores over the internet where payment by credit card is accepted.
    It seems like a good service (if it's legit) and you can even get a "reloadable" one in real plastic.

Thoughts? (constructive ones. )
    Last edited by Techrat; 17-01-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Removed links just in case someone doesn't realise the scam.

I have one except I have a physical card from Virgin.

Works well although I have to get someone in the UK to add funds (cant do it here)

Those sites looks real dodgy though
    McLAREN MERCEDES
    Twitter Flickr

Quick update, those sites are a scam, but there are some more legit ones I'm looking at.

http://www.namepros.com/warnings-and...eller-www.html

http://www.talkgold.com/forum/r278637-.html

@Rosaudio, are you referring to a prepaid card? Did Virgin send it (the card) to you here or the people you know in the UK? Can you not load funds onto it by wire transfer from SA or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Techrat View Post

@Rosaudio, are you referring to a prepaid card? Did Virgin send it (the card) to you here or the people you know in the UK? Can you not load funds onto it by wire transfer from SA or something?
    Yup its a prepaid Mastercard.

Got some family to bring it over when on holiday here. Ive had a look at the site and it says you can transfer from a bank account but dont know how well that works from over here
    McLAREN MERCEDES
    Twitter Flickr

Blog Entries

Always wonder why people feel you have to use the credit on the credit card?
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Quote Originally Posted by timgaul View Post
    More a question of self discipline or rather the lack thereof!

Quote Originally Posted by timgaul View Post
    I know you don't have to use it, it's more the hassle of getting a cc in this country (there's no local prepaid cc available), like I said minimum monthly salary requirement, that's the main thing really. (I don't have a salary )

This site has a list of VCCs that appear legit, http://insectstore.com/entertainment...t-card-service. Entropay seems the most versatile to me (also seems legit, have read people talking about using it on other forums and they have a very jacked up web page with company info and are "certified by the UK Financial Services Authority (FSA)"). They also offer business services, may be a good alternative to Paypal that people have been looking for? You need to request more info for business though so I don't know much about how that works.

You can transfer money from a bank account or debit card, worldwide availability apparently, also you can recieve funds using it.
    Last edited by Techrat; 17-01-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Do you have a current (cheque) account with any of the big 4 banks (ABSA, FNB, Standard or Nedbank)?

If yes, simply ask them for a cheque card. It works exactly like a credit card, except that it's pre-funded (transactions are charged directly to your current account). They can be VISA or Mastercard branded. If you already have a current account, the card will generally be issued upon request with no further qualifying criteria. I have a cheque card from FNB and use it for all on-line purchases that require a credit card, including paypal.

No I don't but I will look into it, thanks for the suggestion, it may work out easier.

Scratch that, okay this is just one example but:

Presumeably other banks have similar conditions, I have none of those things I highlighted.

Looking at their fees brochure as well I'm seeing a R100-R130 annual service fee for the cheque card, so other banks probably charge something like that too I guess. I'll want to make an online payment every now and then so a cheque card is not for me it seems.

I'm a very low income person.
    Last edited by Techrat; 18-01-2010 at 02:20 AM.

www.entropay.com.

Legit.
    Beein using them for around a year now to get money transferred this way or that from internet jobs i do.

I have an epassporte account https://www.epassporte.com/ . I get money loaded from the US, I am not sure if you can transfer money to it locally. You have a virtual account and a card you can use for atm withdrawals. The only problem I had was that the post office stole about 3 cards, and had to use Fedex to deliver my card for $100.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Techrat View Post
    I know you don't have to use it, it's more the hassle of getting a cc in this country (there's no local prepaid cc available), like I said minimum monthly salary requirement, that's the main thing really. (I don't have a salary )

This site has a list of VCCs that appear legit, http://insectstore.com/entertainment...t-card-service. Entropay seems the most versatile to me (also seems legit, have read people talking about using it on other forums and they have a very jacked up web page with company info and are "certified by the UK Financial Services Authority (FSA)"). They also offer business services, may be a good alternative to Paypal that people have been looking for? You need to request more info for business though so I don't know much about how that works.

You can transfer money from a bank account or debit card, worldwide availability apparently, also you can recieve funds using it.
    Get a cheque card? No minimum salary required if you don't need an overdraft. Done and dusted.
    Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

what about services like ukash? you can go to any pick 'n pay till and redeem a ukash voucher with any amount needed on it, and then buy on sites like wantitall, etc... ?

Came across this site: http://www.trucards.com/contact-us.php.

Looks "almost" legit. I mailed them, so let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by wheunis View Post
    www.entropay.com.

Legit.
    Beein using them for around a year now to get money transferred this way or that from internet jobs i do.
    I've seen them already (mentioned in previous posts) and thought they looked good, glad to see someone else thinks they are legit. Apparently you can load your card by bank transfer? Do they have a local account or do you need to transfer internationally? If so what are the currency conversion and international transfer fees like with your bank?

I have an epassporte account https://www.epassporte.com/ . I get money loaded from the US, I am not sure if you can transfer money to it locally. You have a virtual account and a card you can use for atm withdrawals. The only problem I had was that the post office stole about 3 cards, and had to use Fedex to deliver my card for $100.
    No good as you can only load funds from a US checking account. Those stolen cards where the thieves able to use them?

Get a cheque card? No minimum salary required if you don't need an overdraft. Done and dusted.
    See my previous post.

what about services like ukash? you can go to any pick 'n pay till and redeem a ukash voucher with any amount needed on it, and then buy on sites like wantitall, etc... ?
    Not accepted by many places and afaik, vouchers bought here cannot be used internationally, which is the main reason I need this thing. A local company I can just pay by EFT most likely.

Came across this site: http://www.trucards.com/contact-us.php.

Looks "almost" legit. I mailed them, so let's see.
    That is interesting, as it seems like they may actually sell direct to SA, it says "South Africa: coming soon". The site does look a bit cheap so I would only get a small one from them for a test maybe.

Ummm, after that I googled them, http://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-29729.0.html. (always. always google ) They seem to be a scam.

Off Topic: How do you multy quote people so that they all link back to the posts as if you clicked the "quote" button? Have always wondered.
    Last edited by Techrat; 18-01-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast