Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: How do I get my PS3 to connect to my Iburst USB Modem?

Unhappy How do I get my PS3 to connect to my Iburst USB Modem?

Hi,
    Was wondering if someone could help me out, I have tried every other forum and not even Google was my friend this time round.

Okay so I have a new PS3 Slim and I have a laptop and a Iburst USB Modem.

Ideally I would like to share my internet connect so that I can connect wirelessly to my PS3 but everytime I try I hit a deadend. My questions are:

• How do I share my internet connection to begin with?
    • How do I give my PS3 an IP address
    • Just some general helping tips

Thanks!

Blog Entries

As far ask I know, you can't do it by plugging your iBurst modem directly into a USB port on your PS3. The PS3 doesn't have the drivers or software to understand how to connect to an iBurst modem, or dial a virtual PPOE connection.

I think there are routers that you can connect your USB iBurst modem to (can someone confirm this?) The router then dials the virtual PPOE connection for you. You then share your iBurst internet connection through the router. Other devices (like your PS3) can then connect to the router to share its internet connection, either over an ethernet cable, or wirelessly using WiFi.

Typically the router will have a DHCP server built in, which assigns IP addresses to devices that connect to the router/network. You CAN configure a static IP address as well on your PS3, but you shouldn't have to..

OK so a quick google search reveals that the PS3 can dial a PPPOE connection. So if you had the iBurst Desktop Modem (with an ethernet port) you could connect it directly to your PS3, and enter your iBurst username and password on your PS3.

I have a linksys WRT54GL (a bit old now days) that is a wireless (WAN) broadband router that works 100% with the iburst modem. Plug the iburst modem into the router, let the router dial up the pppoe. Use the routers DHCP and you should be set to go.

You can set the router to dial on demand or to be permanently connected. Just remember that you will need to set your MTU to 1392 for iBurst.
    i7 2600K @3.8 | GA Z68P-DS3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD | 16gb HyperX Red | GTX670 Windforce | Antec H2O 920 | CM 600W Silent Pro M | CM HAF 922 | 27" IPS WQHD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IRG View Post
    I have a linksys WRT54GL (a bit old now days) that is a wireless (WAN) broadband router that works 100% with the iburst modem.
    Which modem do you have? Is it the USB modem, or the desktop/ethernet modem? The OP has a USB modem, i.e. USB only, no ethernet ports. The router that you mention doesn't allow USB modem devices to connect. It doesn't even have a USB port.
    Last edited by Saajid; 11-02-2010 at 10:53 AM.

oooh cr@p... then he will have to dialup with his PC and setup internet connection sharing? I have the desktop modems... But if hes stuck, I'll flog one to him for like R700 (I got a few).

I am on my last few days of iBurst (had 2 accounts with 4 modems). This month I started the month throttled (even though it's not possible on my current account) even though there was a 3.5gig carry over from last month (should have given me almost 12gig for Feb). We are on day 11 and they still have not sorted it out.
    Last edited by SirFooK'nG; 11-02-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    i7 2600K @3.8 | GA Z68P-DS3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD | 16gb HyperX Red | GTX670 Windforce | Antec H2O 920 | CM 600W Silent Pro M | CM HAF 922 | 27" IPS WQHD

sounds like you'll have to set up internet connection sharing on the laptop but i dont think you can use the laptops wireless as an access point (need to confirm)? will have to connet the ps3 through ethernet cable.

I had a really 'fun' time trying to setup ICS for xbox through the laptop and usb phone modem once. Kept getting ip conflicts but NAT32 sorted it out...

Super Grandmaster

I *think* you could use PS3Proxy. Download the app, the point your PS3 at your main PC that is running the Proxy software and iBurst modem.

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/file/19

What is also useful about the app (it's original use) is to show the links to the pkg files you download so you can schedule the downloading of stuff you get off PSN at a time that is more suitable for you.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win