Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Pepper ball gun for self defense

Default Pepper ball gun for self defense

Anybody here own one of these guns. I'm planning on buying one to keep at home. Pretty convenient because they don't require a license and you don't have to keep it in a safe like a normal firearm. It takes a 0.68 caliber pepper ball bullet or round rubber ball bullets. Velocity is adjusable up to 380ft/s (over 400km/h). Price is around R1850-R2200 for a kit depending on the kit. It also has a dual rail for red dot laser sight and tactical light.

The pepper ball bullets are filled with capsicum (the stuff in mace spray) and pack a mean punch. It seems a lot more practical than waiting a year for a gun license and then having to keep the gun locked in a safe. Oh, and it can be easiley modded into a paintball gun by changing attachments and lowering firing velocity. Pretty neat.

Yep, apparently the ceramic balls are only supposed to be sold to law enforcement officers and security companies as they can be deadly with a headshot but I've seen them available for sale online.

I'm thinking the last 3 balls left in the gun should be ceramics just in case the possible psycho criminal is a wild one. These guns seem awesome, I'm just wondering how sturdy they are and what maintenance is required.

This is what it looks like with the tactical light attached:

http://www.vottle.com/uploaded_image...d926c32c9b.jpg

Wont the CO2 slowly escape and just when u need it be empty or almost empty leaving the robber to cut your eyes out and cook your balls for dinner?
    Personally i prefer a knife can have it on me ALL the time and can use it once said robber is close enough without having to reveal it before hand. Except with a gun pointed at ur head in that case nothing will help certainly not your pepper spray or your balls or whatever the "closet people" call it these days.
    If you can read this... you can read.

I have a normal paintball gun with extra pepper balls & solid nylon balls.

The nylon balls go through one side of a plastic bucket and thats on the normal low setting. Gotto try the higher compression springs some time seeing they are just lying here.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

I have a big knife, mace, extendable baton and a few stun guns already. Plus no burglar is getting in my bedroom easily as its at the end of the passageway with a trellidor in the passage and one on the french doors from the bedroom to the garden. With this gun I could take pot shots at someone jumping over my wall or if someones on the other side of the trellidor. It won't be the first time a skelm's on my property but it will be the last time he thinks of jumping over my wall.

As for the CO2, I'm aware of CO2 leakage in some gas guns but if you haven't owned one of these pepper guns speculation doesn't really help.

I play paintball and have done a lot of research on paintball pistols for the same reason: self-defense. The one on the photo is the Duel Black Piece or also called Armotech Zeus. It is huge and not convenient to carry around. I wanted to buy one as well but decided not to in the end. I would rather suggest the Tippman TPX pistol, which is smaller, fits into a holster better, and best of all: the gas canister only get punctured with the first pull of the trigger so you can store it fully gassed and loaded for ages without losing gas. It is more expensive than the other one but really worth the extra R1000 or so, and a very well-known brand.

http://www.dyehard.co.za/content/tippmann-tpx-pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Sensorei View Post
    As for the CO2, I'm aware of CO2 leakage in some gas guns but if you haven't owned one of these pepper guns speculation doesn't really help.
    The CO2 does leak over time, especially on the small 12gram canisters which doesn't seal as well as the bigger CO2 bottles.
    Last edited by Slingshot; 12-02-2010 at 12:47 AM.

Slingshot that Tippmann TPX does look like a good option. I'll see what other info I can find on it. I checked out the armotech zeus and I'm not too worried about the size but tippmann does seem to be a better brand.

Panitball how I so much wanna go paintball shooting now.

Why not buy a proper paintball pistol!
    http://www.rap4.com/paintball/os/des...ol-p-3589.html
    ~*!Needle in my mind!*~
    Samsung GALAXY SIV - The power of the Galaxy in your hands!
    ALIENWARE M11x R3 | Intel i5-2537M | 8GB Ram | DavyGT NVidia 1v Bios Mod

My dad has one of those, pretty badass.
    This signature is horrendously outdated.

Slingshot that Tippmann TPX does look like a good option. I'll see what other info I can find on it. I checked out the armotech zeus and I'm not too worried about the size but tippmann does seem to be a better brand.
    A friend of mine has the TPX and I've shot a couple of hard plastic balls with it. That pistol packs a mean punch and it feels very comfortable in your hand. You also get two magazines with it, so that's 16 shots of pepperball... I'm definitely getting one soon.

This is what it looks like with the tactical light attached:

http://www.vottle.com/uploaded_image...d926c32c9b.jpg
    Holy crap! Thats looks nice!

Have you bought it already?
    DEL PythonFSi

I have one of these and I'm still undecided on using it for home protection. The problem is that most home robberies are done by men with REAL guns. Shooting these things at them might just piss them off and rather than being tied up and your house ransacked, they just shoot you. Using these are a real gamble - it will either pay off or will make things much much worse.

Since I have a real gun I would just shoot anyone who invades my house, armed or unarmed. If they are unarmed I'll make sure they will have a knife in their hands by the time the cops come.

But, most importantly, NEVER go to the bathroom right after loading the pepper balls into the gun.

I still have a full cartridge of Bear Bangers from living up in Botswana

Just waiting for the opportunity to let one rip at point blank range
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    And then there will be zero players!! DOOMED!!!!
    IQ-Test

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast