Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telkom Technician on a Saturday?

Default Telkom Technician on a Saturday?

Hey guys,

Do any of you know if Telkom Technicians work on Saturdays? The reason why I'm asking is that I'm fed up of waiting and being told my fault is still in progress over the phone. I've decided to go to the Telkom store today and park myself at a consultants desk until they send someone out and rectify my problem.

I reported my line being down last Sunday at 05:55am and absolutely nothing has been done about it. I'm quite fed up because I need internet access for University as well as Online Share Trading.

Any advice will be appreciated.

You can try that, but if it is a cable fault or a DSLAM issue then you are screwed.

Well, it went down after a thunderstorm... So it is probably a DSLAM problem. I've checked the cable from the perimeter to our house and it seems intact.

So I have no recourse until Monday then?

Quote Originally Posted by BeLgaRiOn View Post
    Do any of you know if Telkom Technicians work on Saturdays?
    my experience is that Telkom technicians seem to come out more often over the weekend, most often on a Sunday. Must be something to do with overtime.
    Last edited by bekdik; 20-02-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

If it is thunderstorm related, then it is most likely a cable fault somewhere from your DP (the pole in your yard or the very little box in your complex) to the SDC (the bigger box on the street corner). Then some of your neighbours should be upset as well. If plenty of folks around your area are having problems then it could be the SDC itself or the cable from the SDC to the exchange.

The techie in his bakkie can trace this problem. The fault reporting call centre can identify if it is a bulk fault or if it is just your line that is faulty.

With all the rain you Gautengers have had recently, you can expect the fault rate to climb as manholes get flooded and affect the cable joints. Remember that your initial cable might be overhead but at some point it does go into an underground pipe run.

Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    my experience is that Telkom technicians seem to come out more often over the weekend, most often on a Sunday. Musr be something to do with overtime.
    More to do with fault rates and negative performance indicators that impact on their year end assessments!

Quote Originally Posted by BeLgaRiOn View Post
    Hey guys,

Do any of you know if Telkom Technicians work on Saturdays? The reason why I'm asking is that I'm fed up of waiting and being told my fault is still in progress over the phone. I've decided to go to the Telkom store today and park myself at a consultants desk until they send someone out and rectify my problem.

I reported my line being down last Sunday at 05:55am and absolutely nothing has been done about it. I'm quite fed up because I need internet access for University as well as Online Share Trading.

Any advice will be appreciated.
    i had one over on a sunday to fix my issues.
    Disclaimer: The use of my free time precludes any reproach.
    Latest: The peanut gallery has you.

Super Grandmaster

Saturday? My line was finished on a Sunday morning......
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

You were lucky. I run a small business and our lines went down on a Wednesday and was only repaired the following week Monday. There excuse was that they do not have technicians on standby. Guess where the fault was? In their own telkom retail store. There distribution box for the entire block sits in there office and they use the box as a table to make coffee. So guess what happens when they spill water...Yip you guessed right..the lines go down.

Ok, well I went to the Telkom store this morning. I spoke to a consultant and she told me they don't deal with faults. She gave me her phone though and put me through to the faults department. They've escalated the fault.

It was really pleasant dealing with her and the guy on the phone though. I also walked out with a new wireless router and modem. All in all I am impressed with their service at the store. Now I'm just eagerly waiting for them to sort out my line.

Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    my experience is that Telkom technicians seem to come out more often over the weekend, most often on a Sunday. Must be something to do with overtime.
    Saturday was the last time a technician was out here, years ago, before I cancelled their arse.

Think this calls for a poll - Telkom sent out a technician to fix your line
    On a working day
    On the weekend
    \ I see Tech People \

Sigh...still no resolution to my line being down. It usually takes 2 days at most to fix a line fault but a week... it's bordering on the ridiculous!

Mine was down originally about 2 weeks, I forget exactly how long but it was unacceptable that they sent out a technician on a saturday who botched the job anyway.
    At the time I was on dialup and from going to 48kbps to 28kbps or less when it finally decided to connect was pathetic to say the least.
    Ontop of that trying to run a business with their "service". Never again will I be subject to Telkom's extortion, and lack of customer service.
    I just can't afford to use them. Simple as that.
    \ I see Tech People \

Don't know about Saterdays, however, I got woken up on a Sunday morning by the Telkom techie who came to sort out my ADSL (he did atleast phone before hand). All I did was log a ticket (Monday) and follow up every night from the 3rd night. I did, however, state that I'm not available during the weekday.

My Telkom ADSL line has been down since 15th February 2010. The progress reads:-

Re-dispatched to tech repair division Sat Feb 27 10:13:51 SAST 2010
    Re-dispatched to tech repair division Sat Feb 27 07:59:54 SAST 2010
    Re-dispatched to tech repair division Fri Feb 26 10:19:20 SAST 2010
    In-hand with our tech repair division Mon Feb 22 15:29:52 SAST 2010
    Referred to our 2nd tier technical department Mon Feb 15 12:35:01 SAST 2010

I haven't seen or heard from a Telkom technician since the fault occurred.

Is it my imagination or is Telkoms support getting worse?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast