Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neotel opens Cape Town retail store

Default Neotel opens Cape Town retail store

Neotel opens Cape Town store

Neotel has expanded its retail footprint by opening its second store at the N1 City Mall in Cape Town this week

A 2nd store in a major city with 3m people, WOW!!!!

Fail!

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Neotel opens Cape Town store

Neotel has expanded its retail footprint by opening its second store at the N1 City Mall in Cape Town this week
    @rpm, beat you to it: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...-Mall-Goodwood

Will keep an eye on that store, seeing that it is virtually in my back yard.
    Last edited by rph72; 03-03-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Blog Entries

When I read this, I burst out laughing:

“So, being able to touch and feel our various offerings, enables the customer, at an extremely practical level, to view just what the latest technologies can do and what cost and service advantages they gain by choosing Neotel.”
    Neotel's cheap CDMA chinese/indian crap hardware is so old and ugly, it makes me wanna . It is very far from being a latest technology. It is utter crap.

Neotel providing cost and service advantages?? Mwahahahahahah.

@Toxic... It is not what equipment/tech you have, it is what you do with it. If you have a weapon you can protect yourself, rob a bottlestore or shoot yourself in the foot. Neotel has fumbled their implementation badly. If properly installed and maintained they could have provided "good enough" service by deploying GPRS (which is relatively old technology... which is what Vodacom did). But no, they had to go fast (2.4 to 3.1mbit/s) with an immature backbone.

So the equipment is sufficient. It is not 7.2mbit/s HSDPA-ish speeds but the hardware can actually do the 2.4 to 3.1 speeds (if setup well). For wireless CDMA2000 is not the "latest technology" but it is mature. I assume their fiber technology is fairly recent. But in reality bad planning, too little bandwidth/congestion, lack of expertise and no visible plan for the future is causing then to slowly sink. They are only putting out fires at the moment. Resellers don't even want to push the product.

Maybe Neotel's management is living in total denial. But then again we, the "sheeple", probably don't know everything. Probably their fiber network is running 110% with those clients orgasmically happy (think "When Harry met Sally"). But the wireless crowd, us, maybe a very small part of their customer base, are the only ones having issues. I don't know. Maybe the fiber based clients are taking up all the priority. Maybe Neotel is not happy with their CDMA2000 deployment and wants to, in reality, for it die a slow and definite death. Keep the system alive for as long as possible, to get some cash in to cover the hardware (infrastructure/routers/modems), but eventually get every wireless client so mad that they angrily demand a full refund cancellation of their contracts. The only way we will know is when they bring out their new yearly financial figures. If the figures look good we will then know that the wireless market means nothing to them. If bad we will know they are living in denial.

The cost and service advantages I can understand as well. No lines, easy to move etc... It looks good on paper but if the backbone sucks then it starts costing money. I now have to suppliment my Flex account with Vodacom 3G.

Doing my bit in the electronics world I can say that there is said very little good about Neotel. From clients (only wireless so far), resellers and subcontractors I only hear bad things. Even a company doing their fiber support is constantly furious with them.

But maybe opening more stores, boosting their market exposure and becoming more excessible to the public is a good thing. Maybe Neotel will improve and be the best ISP in 5 years. ????? (or not). I just remember how Vodacom was in 2005, when they officially launched 3G. It did not work!! It sucked big time. Those problems remained prominent for a few years after that as well. Now you can wack in a USB 3G modem and get high speed just about anywhere.

The one thing you will never see in company ads is some form of admission of guilt. Neotel won't post an ad saying: "Yes, we know we suck, but when it works you get relatively cheap data at 5kbytes/s". They will boost themselves to make the biggest possible profit, even if it means that they are lying.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicWazte View Post
    When I read this, I burst out laughing:

Neotel's cheap CDMA chinese/indian crap hardware is so old and ugly, it makes me wanna . It is very far from being a latest technology. It is utter crap.

Neotel providing cost and service advantages?? Mwahahahahahah.
    Literally LOL!!!

Blog Entries

@VMS - I hear you. The truth is that everything Neotel touches turns to sh|te. CDMA2000 might be a good, decent, mature technology, but Neotel have made it look worse than the worst of both iBurst and Sentech combined. Their hardware looks and feels cheap and ugly, like 2nd hand stuff, and it seems to perform even worse (granted, these are more likely network/backhaul/capacity issues, but still). Then there are also problems with bandwidth usage tracking/reporting, accounts and billing, and support. Also, look at the whole SEACOM debacle - it took them forever to bring SEACOM inland to Gauteng, and even then it took them months to get everything stable. Everything they touch turns to sh|te...

Cell C is also a fairly new company to the Telecoms industry (compared to Voda/MTN/Telkom), and they have done 10x better than Neotel, which is shocking, since Cell C is quite pathetic on many fronts as well.

@Toxic. Don't get me wrong. I am close to 100% with you. I am so near giving this damn evil router and telephone back to them.

It would be nice to know where the bottleneck is. It can be as simple as one manager dictating destructive policy. It might be that the whole company is composed of ID-10-t people (Hugo excluded ;-) and they bought most of their equipment from Ebay.

The fact that you have to guess usage, the admin department is flaky and the pure fact that they don't have a dedicated callcenter (yes, I shudderd when the setup was explained to me) makes me wonder how the hell they survived so long.

The fact of the matter is that Neotel is just as bad as any bankrupt municipality with a broken sewerage system. Telkom is not far behind. So who do you choose? You need internet for business, files are getting bigger, more speed is required, ... so you decide on the one with the best spec list. When I needed to change from expensive 3G to something else the 15GB Flex for business seemed the best option. Probably if Telkom offered 16GB, easy installation at the same price or better then I would have gone that route. Neotel just lied a lot better. Now I get 2 to 5 good (-ish) days per month, a range of errors when the crap does it the fan.

What gets to me is talking to my friends oversees (less these days as Skype is way to slow on Neotel). They get super fast, reliable internet with 80GB cap on the entry packages. We get "best effort" systems, overpriced and then it does not even work correctly.

So, the way to make money in business is to lie and then figure out a way to play catch-up. In Neotel's case they are losing the battle. The lie is getting to big.

I hope the staff at these stores get free psychiatric treatment for all the abuse they will have to endure!!!

Grandmaster

I feel sooooo sorry for the capetonians. Neotel = BIG FAIL

@ VMS +100% As another disgruntled Neotel wireless client I share your pain. I find your earlier comment believable.
    Maybe Neotel is not happy with their CDMA2000 deployment and wants to, in reality, for it die a slow and definite death. Keep the system alive for as long as possible, to get some cash in to cover the hardware (infrastructure/routers/modems), but eventually get every wireless client so mad that they angrily demand a full refund cancellation of their contracts.
    What enrages me even more are the "I told you so" jokers on this forum who ridicule anyone who was brave and unfortunate enough to choose Neotel. These I believe are the same loud mouths that were worshipping the coming of Neotel like it was a Telecom Messiah, 18 months ago. I wish they had put their money where their mouths were.

Super Grandmaster

Looking at Neotel's prices I don't understand why anyone would bother signing up with them even if they could provide reliable service. Which from the sound of things they can't.

I was thinking of standing outside the N1 Neotel store with leaflets pointing people to this forum so that they could see all the complaints that are overly abundant. I'd like to see how Neotel react to that. Maybe then they'd get their **** together.
    "You can't get rid of poverty by giving people money."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venom Rush View Post
    I was thinking of standing outside the N1 Neotel store with leaflets pointing people to this forum so that they could see all the complaints that are overly abundant. I'd like to see how Neotel react to that. Maybe then they'd get their **** together.
    That's a great idea. I'm sure you could get fellow myBB Capetonians to join you... Especially current & past Neotel subscribers. You should start a campaign for this, and I'm sure you'd get fellow myBB members to sponsor a domain and website (a la Hellkom.co.za). Maybe call it NeoHell, Neofail, NeoSh|t, etc, .co.za.

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicWazte View Post
    That's a great idea. I'm sure you could get fellow myBB Capetonians to join you... Especially current & past Neotel subscribers. You should start a campaign for this, and I'm sure you'd get fellow myBB members to sponsor a domain and website (a la Hellkom.co.za). Maybe call it NeoHell, Neofail, NeoSh|t, etc, .co.za.
    I'm a web developer so I'd be able to create my own website. I had this idea last year Feb but Neohell.co.za was taken already.
    "You can't get rid of poverty by giving people money."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast