Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maid/domestic worker - going rate and from where?

Default Maid/domestic worker - going rate and from where?

Not sure what the politically correct term is these days, but where can I find a really good maid? And what's the going rate for a day's work? The area is Fourways...

Has anybody tried a maid service like Marvelous Maids?

Quote Originally Posted by radicool View Post
    Not sure what the politically correct term is these days, but where can I find a really good maid? And what's the going rate for a day's work? The area is Fourways...

Depends what exactly you expect - only cleaning house? Washing & ironing too? Cooking?

Going rate for your area would be approx between R 120 and R 170, I guess.

Blog Entries

I'd much rather for for one by word of mouth. Put out feelers to your friends and co-workers.

our 5 day a week maid gets R2350 a month (8:30 am to 3:30 pm).

Quote Originally Posted by blunomore View Post
    Depends what exactly you expect - only cleaning house? Washing & ironing too? Cooking?
    Cleaning, maybe ironing bed sheets, no cooking. Tiny place, 70m2. I want the absolute best though, I'd rather pay a premium and get someone who has a weekend job as a nuclear physicist. As you can imagine, there are not many maids like that around

Personally, I think Marvelous Maids just takes money away from the women who do the work, rather find someone through a friend of colleague who can vouch for them. We had been fortunate enough that our neighbours daughter who was studying full time, offered to do house work for R150... usually from around 9am till 3pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    I'd much rather for for one by word of mouth. Put out feelers to your friends and co-workers.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Cube3 View Post
    ...our neighbours daughter who was studying full time, offered to do house work...
    It's your neighbours daughter that's doing your cleaning?

Is she studying physics?

We pay our maid (who we have had for around 15 years) R3000 a month. We also pay her pension. She works 3 days a week (mon, tues, fri), from 7am to 4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by inferno View Post
    We pay our maid (who we have had for around 15 years) R3000 a month. We also pay her pension. She works 3 days a week (mon, tues, fri), from 7am to 4pm.
    She is lucky

Used marvellous maids once, NEVER AGAIN!

Organised for 2 maids to come clean new house for a day. Went to house on the day, waited and waited, tried phoning chick who organised and phones off etc etc. Eventually managed to contact another branch and they can't do anything except maybe organise for another day.
    Eventually managed to get hold of first one and organised for another day. Go to house and wait a bit and they came a bit late. Told them 1 of them must clean the cupboards etc in the kitchen and other must clean the bathroom/toilet. LEAVE the rest of the house. Also showed them the 2 step ladder and a bigger one they could use. Had to leave them there for a while as gf had to get a new cell from vodaworld so gave the one my number to please call me when they were finished. Got the sms at about 3:15.
    Came home to find the floor in the kitchen/dining room/lounge cleaned. My tools and stuff moved so wasn't too happy about that. The top of the cupboards in kitchen was disgusting so obviously untouched. The toilet/bathroom were given a once over wipe up to the height they could reach. That's about it really. Was really a waste of money, R410 plus food/juice for them.
    In comparison to this we got 1 maid from gotta-maid in cape town for R160. She arrived early, said "wheres the jik?" and basically got to scrubbing everything down properly and by 4:15 or so I told her there's nothing more she can do so she can go home. Best maid ever. So yeah, that's why we got the 2 maids in for this house because we were hoping for 2X that...

+ for the word of mouth option...

Got a malawian gardener in as gfs friends aunt sold her house and no longer needed him. Works brilliantly and when I'm doing stuff around the house he always offers to take over etc. First day he came he produced 11 black bags full of garden refuse.

As per all your suggestions to put out feelers, please consider this my feeler. I need someone on a Monday and Friday. If she's good, my sister would also like her on one of the other days. I'd probably start her on around R150/day. Ideally I don't want her to come in before 10AM, and she can be out of here by 4PM at the latest. She needs to be intelligent, hard-working, honest, reliable, careful and friendly.

EDIT:
    If she meets and exceeds all the requirements of the job, I'm willing to gradually increase her wages to up to R250-R300/day, "commensurate with her performance".
    Last edited by radicool; 04-03-2010 at 04:44 PM.

As per all your suggestions to put out feelers, please consider this my feeler. I need someone on a Monday and Friday. If she's good, my sister would also like her on one of the other days. I'd probably start her on around R150/day. Ideally I don't want her to come in before 10AM, and she can be out of here by 4PM at the latest. She needs to be intelligent, hard-working, honest, reliable, careful and friendly.

EDIT:
    If she meets and exceeds all the requirements of the job, I'm willing to gradually increase her wages to up to R250-R300/day, "commensurate with her performance".
    0799947406 - her name is maria, she worked for us when we lived in Douglas dale. she might know someone that can help or maybe even help you!

Avoid maid services unless you're only interested in having some light cleaning done. Also the problem is MM will send you a different one almost every time. When things go missing who are you going to point the finger at?

Rather ask friends if they don't have a reliable char looking for a few extra days.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    Avoid maid services unless you're only interested in having some light cleaning done. Also the problem is MM will send you a different one almost every time. When things go missing who are you going to point the finger at?

Rather ask friends if they don't have a reliable char looking for a few extra days.
    +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast