Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Seagate 7200.11 BSY (not detected in BIOS) error solution

Unhappy Seagate 7200.11 BSY (not detected in BIOS) error solution

Hey all,

I'm in a slight spot of bother and need help, I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB, (model ST3500320AS) on which it would seem the controller board has gone as the drive still spins up and there are no "unusual" sounds or noises.

The only slight oddity is when the drive is off and disconnected I give it a very light shake there is a slight tick, (I assume this is the head), but the machine BIOS refuses to acknowledge the drive, seatools can't even pick it up.

Would anyone know where I could get my hands on a new controller board or does anyone here have an old woking that I can buy.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.
    Last edited by vigilantis; 11-03-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Super Grandmaster

What city you in? I know HTC_guy knows about these things.

There's a firmware issue on 7200.11 series, you can check if yours is affected here and get the firmware update. Would have to get someone to recover the data if you can't do it yourself, otherwise if it's still in warranty and the data isn't irreplaceable, I'd RMA it since there's not much you can do otherwise once the drive goes poof.
    ██████████
    ██████████
    ██████████

I'm in the Randburg/Sandton area, I have although not toyed with the firmware and I'm hoping that is not the problem as I have read a lot about that.

You have the firmware problem if the drive is not being seen by the bios Data is however recoverable.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Wink The Solution

K, so after many hours online, a few trashed cables and a severe decrease in my level of patience I managed to resurrect my ST3500320AS.
    I figured since RSA pricing isn't always very forgiving I'd share my findings and hopefully spare someone else the heartache and a few pennies.

Seagate's explanation:

Description
    An issue exists that may cause some Seagate hard drives to become inoperable immediately after a power-on operation. Once this condition has occurred, the drive cannot be restored to normal operation without intervention from Seagate. Data on the drive will be unaffected and can be accessed once normal drive operation has been restored. This is caused by a firmware issue coupled with a specific manufacturing test process.

Root Cause
    This condition was introduced by a firmware issue that sets the drive event log to an invalid location causing the drive to become inaccessible.
    The firmware issue is that the end boundary of the event log circular buffer (320) was set incorrectly. During Event Log initialization, the boundary condition that defines the end of the Event Log is off by one. During power up, if the Event Log counter is at entry 320, or a multiple of (320 + x*256), and if a particular data pattern (dependent on the type of tester used during the drive manufacturing test process) had been present in the reserved-area system tracks when the drive's reserved-area file system was created during manufacturing, firmware will increment the Event Log pointer past the end of the event log data structure. This error is detected and results in an "Assert Failure", which causes the drive to hang as a failsafe measure. When the drive enters failsafe further update s to the counter become impossible and the condition will remain through subsequent power cycles. The problem only arises if a power cycle initialization occurs when the Event Log is at 320 or some multiple of 256 thereafter. Once a drive is in this state, there is no path to resolve/recover existing failed drives without Seagate technical intervention. For a drive to be susceptible to this issue, it must have both the firmware that contains the issue and have been tested through the specific manufacturing process.

Corrective Action
    Seagate has implemented a containment action to ensure that all manufacturing test processes write the same "benign" fill pattern. This change is a permanent part of the test process. All drives with a date of manufacture January 12, 2009 and later are not affected by this issue as they have been through the corrected test process.

Recommendation
    Seagate strongly recommends customers proactively update all affected drives to the latest firmware. If you have experienced a problem, or have an affected drive exhibiting this behavior, please contact your appropriate Seagate representative. If you are unable to access your data due to this issue, Seagate will provide free data recovery services. Seagate will work with you to expedite a remedy to minimize any disruption to you or your business.

Credit for the solution goes to Gustek, Fatlip, Gradius, Aviko and my77stang over at MSFN, thanks guys. Their thread.
    I have only added few comments/steps/images that address difficulties I experienced and to turn the "fix tutorial" into "monkey see, monkey do" without any ambiguity.

What you'll need:
    • Nokia or generic CA-42 data cable (R75 at the Brightwater Flea Market)
    • Torx screwdriver
    • Strip of plastic or cardboard (I used a laminated business card)
    • Your f***ed 7200.11 hard drive

The Fix:

Drive tested with this solution was a ST3500320AS with firmware SD15 and worked perfectly using all of the steps provided below.

FIRST, PAY ATTENTION TO UPPER AND LOWER CASE WHEN TYPING THINGS INTO HYPERTERMINAL!!!!!!!!

Step 1: Remove the PCB (circuit board on the drive), take note of where the PCB makes contact with the actual hard drive. Leave the motor contacts connected, and put something like a business card or piece of thick paper between PCB and hard drive where the other connector is. Replace all the screws you can, and snug down at lease a couple of them furthest away from where the business card is stuffed in there. Not too tight, you'll want to pull out the card later without having to loosen any screws.

Step 2: Cut the broad (phone connector) end off of your CA-42 cable, strip the wires and expose the USB end to determine which colour is RX, TX and GND now Connect the RX, TX, and GND wires from your custom fabricated cable to the drive. (Note that the RX as listed on your cable goes to the TX on the Hard Drive, and the TX as listed on your cable goes to the RX on the Hard Drive). (Your colours may differ.)

Here is the cable after I modified it. I used a CD-ROM audio cable with the end removed and a very small piece of electrical tape around the connectors at the end of the wire to prevent them from touching each other.

Here's the pin arrangement on the drive - remember to hook up the RX and TX "backwards" or you will not be able to talk to the drive.
    Again NB: The RX as listed on your cable goes to the TX on the Hard Drive, and the TX as listed on your cable goes to the RX on the Hard Drive.

Step 3: Plug the SATA power cable into the drive, and wait until drive motor stops, listen closely. Plug in the USB cable and install the "device" using the CA-42 cable's driver CD! Now check in device manager and confirm the COM port number that the "device" is using.

Step 4: Open Hyperterminal, when prompted choose the COM port that your cable is using. If you are unsure of which COM port to use, check your device manager again to see which COM port your cable is using. Choose 38400, 8, None, 1, None in the COM properties box that should pop up. If you hit "OK" and you get no errors, you should be in.

NOW FOLLOW CAREFULLY!!!
    Step 5: Type ctrl+z and you should see a prompt that says F3 T>

Step 6: Type /2 and press enter. It should say F3 2>

Step 7: Type Z and press enter. It should say "Spin Down Complete, Elapsed Time 0.146 msecs", the elapsed time may not be the same - that's OK.

Step 8: Remove business card and mount the PCB as normal, tighten up all the screws.

Step 9: Type U and press enter. It should say "Spin Up Complete, Elapsed Time 6.864 secs". Again, the elapsed time may not be the same and that's OK.

This next part is not necessary, it's just checking that everything is OK. Use this when the first try fails (command F712 works only on 500 GB 7200.11 drives with firmware SD15, if this isn't your Firmware version just skip this part.)

Type / and press enter. It should say F3 T>

Type F712 and press enter. It should say.....

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 00 00
    Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
    Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
    Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
    Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 0 <- configuration not loaded from surface

Type F,,22 and press enter. It should say Drive Configuration restored to defaults.

Type F712 and press enter. It should say.....

Byte:0712: RealTimeUpdatedFlags = 08 00
    Byte:0712: Bit:0, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX = 0
    Byte:0712: Bit:1, HPA_SET_BY_SETMAX_EXT = 0
    Byte:0712: Bit:2, DCO_SET_ACTIVE = 0
    Byte:0712: Bit:3, CONGEN_READ_FROM_MEDIA = 1 <- done

(This is the end of the part that was not necessary unless the first try failed).

Step 10: You should see F3 T3> at this point, type /1 and press enter. It should say F3 1>

Step 11: Type N1 and press enter. It should say F3 1>

Step 12: Type / and press enter. It should say F3 T>

Step 13: Type m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 and press enter. (Note the "m" is lower case and the 0's are zeros). It should say.....

Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 00, Max Certify Rewrite Retries = 0000
    User Partition Format 5% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00008DED, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs
    User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 05 secs

And should bring you back to the F3 T> Prompt.

Step 14: Unplug the SATA power cable from your drive, unhook the RX, TX, and GND wires. Turn off computer and re-install your drive.
    Everything *should* be working fine.
    Be sure to update your drive with the latest firmware as soon as possible.

TAKE THAT SEAGATE!
    Last edited by vigilantis; 11-03-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Nice write up
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice write-up
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

I think I should maybe update the firmware of mine.... Got a 500GB Seagate Dec 2008, wonder if it applies to this. Using it as my media drive and backups, so maybe it's a good thing I came across this topic. Can I flash the firmware without anything happening to the data?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Seagates online check tool does fck all... Its not accurate, trust me

fixed plenty of drives after seagate's tool reports "your drive is not effected"

BS

piss off
    Please can you help me with a personal research project by VOTING - will take 5 seconds - http://tinyurl.com/kpga54q

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TeRRoRByteZ2007 View Post
    I think I should maybe update the firmware of mine.... Got a 500GB Seagate Dec 2008, wonder if it applies to this. Using it as my media drive and backups, so maybe it's a good thing I came across this topic. Can I flash the firmware without anything happening to the data?
    most of the time you wont run into an issue...

the rest of the time you fcked

Please can you help me with a personal research project by VOTING - will take 5 seconds - http://tinyurl.com/kpga54q

Blog Entries

also wanna just say this is a great write-up, good job mate.

remember though, that this is the bare bones.

you place one finger wrong, one key-stroke wrong... you fcked

my advice? if you meddling with this kind of thing, be sure as hell you know what you doing in case you place a foot wrong

good luck

My model and firmware is in the list of the ones that are affected... going to update it just in case it! Good article and good tutorial! Glad I don't have to go through all that!

Quote Originally Posted by TeRRoRByteZ2007 View Post
    My model and firmware is in the list of the ones that are affected... going to update it just in case it! Good article and good tutorial! Glad I don't have to go through all that!
    Hey,

Go ahead, just confirm with Seagate's drivechecker that you have the SD15 firmware, this will then be updated safely to SD1A, make damn sure you do as they suggest during the process though.

The problem has occurred frequently to many people but it's hard to tell when it will, you may even move on to your drives last moments without a hiccup, but hey, why take the chance, one day you boot up and fck knows what the reason is but suddenly your drive is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by HTC_guy View Post
    also wanna just say this is a great write-up, good job mate.

remember though, that this is the bare bones.

you place one finger wrong, one key-stroke wrong... you fcked

my advice? if you meddling with this kind of thing, be sure as hell you know what you doing in case you place a foot wrong

good luck
    Agreed, one c*ck up and you brick your drive properly.

I only found that in the States it seems hardware is so cheap that their solution other than this is to buy a new identical drive and swap PCB's, then you left with one "brand new" useless drive, yet this doesn't always work as a portion of the firmware is stored on the platters!!!
    Not in RSA, depending on your 7200.11 drive size you'll pay between R500 and R1400, I'd rather not!

Last resort, you take your drive and sorry a*se to some snot nose for data recovery and they always first ask, "how important is your data", g*d help you if you answer this one wrong, best you have that credit card ready.

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast