Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Query adsl: Shaped 4mbps for gaming?

Blog Entries

Default Query adsl: Shaped 4mbps for gaming?

Hi, will a shaped 4mbps account be adequate for gaming?

Looking at playing mostly warcraft III and Heroes of newerth after hours.

Maybe once a week of FPS gaming online after hours as well.

Tend to spend more time watching flash videos (anime and series) online.
    Last edited by MightyMuffinMan; 17-03-2010 at 11:18 AM. Reason: make post clearer

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

It depends on the latency that you're going to be satisfied with...
    If a latency of 50ms is OK for you, then 4Mbps shaped would be adequate. The accounts are usually less shaped after hours too.

Super Grandmaster

If you are playing on local (South African) servers, then a 384, 512 or 4MB ADSL line will be fine, giving you latencies under 50ms on just about all products offered by ISP's.
    If you're playing on international servers, you're going to have to test each product individually to see if it can meet your game's requirements.

An expensive exercise.

And, once you have found the product that works, expect it to no longer work in about 3 weeks time.

No experience with MMOs, but a definite yes for FPSs on local servers, international servers may be a bit more hit-and-miss.

Master
    Blog Entries

At what times do you access the internet? Most "shaped" accounts are only really shaped during the day. You generally get good latencies at night. I have an Afrihost "semi-shaped" account and the delay i have online in HoN is barely noticeable and even less so if I play on one of the SA servers. DON'T PLAY FPS ON INTERNATIONAL SERVERS, YOU WILL FAIL! Stick to the local servers for most of your FPS stuff and you can safely play RTS, i.e. starcraft2, supcom, CoH, ect on int servers without much delay.

Blog Entries

ty for reply's. So basically shaped is ok for after hours gaming? Btw i usually play after hours. And the only game i play internationlly is hon, everything else is local. I hate mmorpgs . Waste time.