Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Thread: 720p/1080p movie downloads

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
    Not many people seem to know what is going on...
    Here is the definitive answer: If you watch a 1080p .mkv movie on your computer screen: It will show at the highest resolution that your monitor can handle while maintaining aspect ratio. i.e. if you have a 1080X1920 monitor then it will output at max resolution however if you have a 1280X800 monitor it will only output at the highest amount of pixels it can get while maintaining aspect ratio.
    If you burn it do DVD: On a CRT screen the best resolution you will get is 480X640, no matter what resolution the source media has. Even if you have an HD TV the SD DVD player can still only output at 480X640 so DVD is a no go for HD content. The DVD is also not large enough to store the .mkv movie and it will probably be converted to .vob and will no longer be HD.
    Hope this isn't too confusingly written.
    For someone who knows whats going on - you do know you get 1080p upscaling DVD players?

You can also fit a slightly compressed 1080p movie on a 8.5GB DVD. (although, as you said, if you convert it to .vob - it won't be HD).
    Last edited by xrapidx; 24-03-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    For someone who knows whats going on - you do know you get 1080p upscaling DVD players?
    That's not really the same thing as a file that is native 1080p.

Think of it as setting a 640x480 desktop background, changing your display resolution to 1024x768, and then stretching the background to fit the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBSA View Post
    All I'm saying is that even idiots can pass metric in SA

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by boramk View Post
    I use my western digital player, plays MKV at HD... your eyes bleed
    Just took a look at prices online.... why would one go for the Mede8er if you can get a WD media player for under a thousand rand?

Quote Originally Posted by LancelotSA View Post
    Just took a look at prices online.... why would one go for the Mede8er if you can get a WD media player for under a thousand rand?
    Because of things like this:
    An audio receiver is required for surround sound output. AAC/Dolby Digital decodes in 2 channel output only
    Also there is no support for NTFS disks. The mede8tor also has support for subtitle files, so you don't have to hardcode them into the video file yourself.
    Last edited by Smooth Criminal; 24-03-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBSA View Post
    All I'm saying is that even idiots can pass metric in SA

It's ridiculous the amount of world wide acclaim this player is getting.... and the software is written locally!!!!

http://www.google.co.za/search?sourc...ede8er+reviews

http://www.avforums.com/forums/strea...altek-gui.html

Always listen to what these people have to say. Haven't read the thread but usually a very well traveled bunch on Avforums...
    Last edited by sand_man; 24-03-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    Because of things like this:

Also there is no support for NTFS disks. The mede8tor also has support for subtitle files, so you don't have to hardcode them into the video file yourself.
    But this shows otherwise : http://www.expansys.co.za/d.aspx?i=176265

External Drive Formats Supported:
    - FAT32
    - NTFS
    - HFS+ (no journaling)
    The first part I don't quite understand

Blog Entries

But this shows otherwise : http://www.expansys.co.za/d.aspx?i=176265

The first part I don't quite understand
    The Mediator handles a whole lot more codecs than the other.
    Besides, Esquire have specials on the mede8or every now and then.

Another big plus on the mede8or side is that you can connect to a network drive and watch stuff off there. I have a small drive in mine, because I mostly watch stuff over the network. I have streamed media to two different mede8or's at the same time with no lagging. 720 tho not 1080.
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

As far as I know HD Upscaling means it just tries to make it look pretty. Take a 640x480 file, and resize it to 1920x1080...does it make it look like a native 1920x1080 picture? Nope, it just makes it big, and makes the picture ugly. Sometimes effects and techniques are used to make it look pretty, but it will not look like a native 1920x1080 picture/video.

Same thing with MP3's...if you have a 128 kbit MP3, and you open it in a sound editing app, and save it as a 320kbit, it will still sound like a 128 kbit mp3. You cannot make something of a lesser quality a better quality, or at least, not by much. You can do tricks to try to make it sound good, but it will never ever be true full quality.

guys, im about to download a 720P episode of Lost, normally i avoid those because of their size, 1.1GB per episode compared to 350 MB normally.

is there any improvement in quality on a Resolution 1440 x 900 PC monitor between the 720P episode and a normal one ?
    Roosters crow at the Dawn hoping to rouse the Barnyard, but the Owl knows it is still late at night. The Foxes are about. The Master sleeps.
    THIS IS WHO WE ARE

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
    That's not really the same thing as a file that is native 1080p.

Think of it as setting a 640x480 desktop background, changing your display resolution to 1024x768, and then stretching the background to fit the screen.
    Yeh - but its outputing 1080p - assuming it can output 1080p, then it can play video files that are 1080p.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by william riker View Post
    guys, im about to download a 720P episode of Lost, normally i avoid those because of their size, 1.1GB per episode compared to 350 MB normally.

is there any improvement in quality on a Resolution 1440 x 900 PC monitor between the 720P episode and a normal one ?
    This is sort of what I was trying to understand too. I spotted some IMAX videos at about 2Gb. Normally I am totally satisfied with 700Mb full length movies so was interested in seeing the difference on a 720p. I'm assuming I won't notice much difference on my 14" laptop monitor or CRT TV but want some stuff for when I get the plasma

This is the first I've heard of the Mede8er. It looks awesome. Who here has one? Am I right in assuming you need to buy your own HD to put into it?

Super Grandmaster

This is sort of what I was trying to understand too. I spotted some IMAX videos at about 2Gb. Normally I am totally satisfied with 700Mb full length movies so was interested in seeing the difference on a 720p. I'm assuming I won't notice much difference on my 14" laptop monitor or CRT TV but want some stuff for when I get the plasma
    I think it'll all depend on your screen size. a DVD is around 480p (IIRC) - so 720p is quite a jump. I know I can CLEARLY see the difference between a DVD and a 1080P movie... but I have a 46" screen.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by paddy_za View Post
    This is the first I've heard of the Mede8er. It looks awesome. Who here has one? Am I right in assuming you need to buy your own HD to put into it?
    Yip - some come bundled with drives

Does anyone with one of these know if they can play files off network drives?
    Last edited by xrapidx; 25-03-2010 at 09:01 AM.

This is exactly what I've been looking for! It looks awesome from the video on the website. Do you own one?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast