Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waze

Default Waze

Right,

Just found this whilst trawling around for interesting things.

Social based, turn-by-turn navigation system for the iPhone, and soon Android phones.

The maps are mostly incomplete in SA because the community is still small, but the more of us who use and update the maps the better the service will become.

I reckon we should all start using it

www.waze.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Wouldn't they be better served by piggybacking on OpenStreetMap? It's hard enough getting proper maps for anything outside an urban area on OSM anyway without some other project splitting the attention.

Ah, sorry. They have a "business plan."

Waze is letting the community build the maps, but the community won't own the maps.

Fair enough comments, I hadn't looked too deeply into the whole backend of it.

I just like the idea in general, and it could be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

How many people on myBB use this app? It's extremely useful for traffic The more people that use it the better...And its FREE!
     MacBook Pro Retina | iPhone 5 | iPad 4 
    Your post count means nothing to me.

Will give a bash, can not hurt I guess.

It is also available for Android so I will also give it a shot.

Trapster is also another I have to check out.

I used to use it, was an area manager for most of joburg, but I got immensely frustrated with the map editing interface. It was just frigging horrible. Not sure if they've improved it at all...

I contemplated using it when it was first released but the lack of support/userbase in SA at the time was a bit limiting. Wondering if that's improved? Also now my Android phone's 2 years old and getting sluggish, might try again when I upgrade

using it, and loving it

Started using it today. Looks promising.
    State of the cancerous nation

Im loving this app

Busy getting all my friends to start using it. Certainly does get more useful when lots of people are traveling the same route.

Spread the word people
    State of the cancerous nation

Default Waze

Fantastic app. Works well for me so far.

Hear the interview on the radio about it - Waze have partnered (actually the other way around) with the company behind the Matrix Car-Tracker system... They are therefore also anonymously throwing data into the mix, that is obtained from users that have the car-tracker installed... The whole system obviously depends on critical mass - and including the car-tracker info is a neat work-around...

Tried it yesterday - seems to work well, and is easy to use.
    Deleted it this morning.

Past 2 months have seen me staying well-below my allowable daily data limit (I use the Data Usage app, that works out how much I have left of my 500mb package, and how much I can, and are in fact, using per day). In the 24 hours of having Waze installed on my phone, my data consumption saw a huge spike (almost 60mb)- to the point where I would have run out of data 4 days prior to month end, had I maintained those levels...

Great app - but be careful how you set it up - it seems to be thirsty data-wise (battery wise, it slurps as well, but that's unavoidable)... Of course, I'm on Vodacom's entry level iPhone package - for those who have more data (or money) to spend - it's a no-brainer.

My 2-cents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast