Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: ADSL Modem + Wireless router setup

Grandmaster
    Stellenbosch, Republic of the Western Cape

Question ADSL Modem + Wireless router setup

Hi all

Hoping to get some advice on this setup.

Currently using a DLink Modem+Wireless in wired mode at home ever since the wireless part got fried after a blackout. I have OpenWeb for local & Afrihost for intl access, split via RouteSentry.

Work has given me a laptop, and I would like to go back to a wireless setup at home so that both SWAMBO & I can surf at the same time.

So, can I keep using the DLink as a modem and just plug a wireless router in? If so, can I still use both my local & intl accounts?

Finally, which brand should I get?

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    Hi all

Hoping to get some advice on this setup.

Currently using a DLink Modem+Wireless in wired mode at home ever since the wireless part got fried after a blackout. I have OpenWeb for local & Afrihost for intl access, split via RouteSentry.

Work has given me a laptop, and I would like to go back to a wireless setup at home so that both SWAMBO & I can surf at the same time.

So, can I keep using the DLink as a modem and just plug a wireless router in? If so, can I still use both my local & intl accounts?

Finally, which brand should I get?
    If you are happy with the setup that you have at the moment, yes, you could keep it that way, and just add a Wireless access point to provide wireless access for your SWAMBO (??).

The main things to look for are:

* Can you set the gateway address on the DHCP server that will be handing out addresses? You need to set it to the PC running RouteSentry, so your SWAMBO can route via that machine.
    * This might be easier to do on your existing DLink, or it may be easier to do on the new kit you buy. Do your homework before you buy.

If you are fairly technical (a.k.a. Linux savvy), you could try getting a router that supports OpenWRT, which would let you configure practically anything you want. The only thing is that OpenWRT is actually not all that happy running multiple PPPoE connections over the same ethernet port. It can be hacked around, but I suspect that your RouteSentry solution might be easier in the long run.

My current setup is somewhat like what you describe, minus the local+international splitting.

I have a DLINK 2500U ADSL modem (~R250), in bridging mode. I have a Buffalo WZR HP G300NH wireless router behind that, running OpenWRT (~R1000 from Expansys).

The Buffalo handles the PPPoE connection (and also a backup 3G connection via a USB connected modem), issues DHCP addresses, handles the Wifi, etc. It probably could also handle an additional PPPoE connection, but like I said, it takes a little bit of hacking. There ARE guides online, google is your friend.

FWIW, the Buffalo is ALSO handling print serving using a TCP->USB redirector, as well as scanning (it's a Samsung SCX4300) using SANE. Since it has USB, you could also use it to do BitTorrent, etc to a local USB disk if you want to.