Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: SA's ADSL tipping point

Default SA's ADSL tipping point

ADSL tipping point

Why itís suddenly possible to start a global online business in SA.

Blog Entries

The arrival of uncapped ADSL now means businesses that do spend a lot of time online, especially those with fairly data intensive requirements, can now do so at a far more affordable rate.
    Um, I think you will find that this is in contravention of the terms and conditions of most of these new "uncapped" products. So ja... not much has changed yet for businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Why it’s suddenly possible to start a global online business in SA.
    And a fixed IP address, or must we rely on Dynamic DNS ?

Good on FNB! We'll see how unaware/slow other banks are to take advantage of this

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    Um, I think you will find that this is in contravention of the terms and conditions of most of these new "uncapped" products. So ja... not much has changed yet for businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Se7enty4 View Post
    I speak under correction, but if I remember correctly, the business uncapped from mweb is unshaped without any data limit restrictions (i.e. there is no data limit beyond which mweb starts getting very upset with the business user). Also, it comes with 5 static IP addresses. http://www.mweb.co.za/adsl/?p=business
    How to live a dismal existence, rule #14:
    Quote Originally Posted by Balstrome View Post
    there is nothing to be gained by highlighting good things

Quote Originally Posted by Na-iem View Post
    I speak under correction, but if I remember correctly, the business uncapped from mweb is unshaped without any data limit restrictions (i.e. there is no data limit beyond which mweb starts getting very upset with the business user). Also, it comes with 5 static IP addresses. http://www.mweb.co.za/adsl/?p=business
    We are using the Business uncapped and it serves about 80 users with all internet accept email. No problems so far.

I like the way this guy writes

Quote Originally Posted by Se7enty4 View Post
    I am running a web server on my ADSL now with no problems. Create a DynDNS account, set it up on your router. Then modify your DNS records so that your domain name is a CNAME record pointing to your DynDNS URL. It works great!!
    I however only do this for testing. Production moves to a production server at an ISP or the clients premisis. I would not do this for commercial live websites. No reliable enough.
    www.savitar.co.za - Software Solutions
    www.vaping101.co.za - eCig Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by XysteR View Post
    I like the way this guy writes
    He forgot to mention that interest rates just dropped to 10% also, "to stimulate the economy".

Also with the new server farms kicking off its becoming more affordable to buy server time and bandwidth on a shared service / cloud basis rather than host yourself especially with energy prices set to rise..