Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vodacom upgrades subscribers to 14.4 Mbps HSPA

Quote Originally Posted by steve-rsa View Post
    Useless until data pricing comes down. Stop spending money on bragging rights and drop charges FFS!
    +1
    "Why is there something rather than nothing?"
    Gottfried Leibniz

Where can you buy equipment capable of these speeds (14.4 / 21mbps) out of interest? Because I have looked around and havent found any, nor do any of the people at Vodashop (or all the over variations of their stores) seem to know absolutly anything about this. I want to buy a 3G modem, but it seems really stupid to buy one now which is only capable of 7.2.

I know the K4505 and I think its the E188 can do it.... but they havent heard of either of these.. Anyone got any info on this please thank you! (And yes I agree with the price thing, bring the flippin price of the bandwidth down!)

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Vodacom surprises with 14.4 Mbps HSPA upgrades for prepaid and contract customers
    Since being upgraded to 7.2 a few weeks ago, I've noticed that single connections seem to be throttled at 3.6Mbps, i.e. I can only achieve >3.6Mbps speeds if I use a download manager and use multiple connections.

If I do any speed tests at speedtest.net, I only get scores of around 3.6Mbps, but downloading from the U.S. iTunes Store (which uses multiple connections) I can get over 6.5Mbps.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Which tower? - I only get dial up speeds in Cape Twon...

Quote Originally Posted by steve-rsa View Post
    Useless until data pricing comes down. Stop spending money on bragging rights and drop charges FFS!
    +1 what he said.

I'm still dropping my Vodacom contract ASAP and getting a fixed line - Vodacom had their chance to keep me as a paying customer but they dropped the ball.

Even if this is not an april fools joke, I almost never get above 2mbps when doing speed tests, and that is on a very good day. What a waste.

Super Grandmaster

Vodacom seems to have the same business strategy as Telkom. Increase the speed, improve the technology and make you pay the same per GB. This has the side effect of you consuming MORE and thus paying MORE .

Unfortunately at some point people are not going to care about the 100Gbps tech when they're paying R200 per GB.....and we're reaching that point very fast. I didn't care about Vodacom's 7.2mpbs upgrade, and don't care about their 14.4 mbps upgrade...it's too expensive period.

i dont even get over 1.2mbps on HSDPA 7.2mbit if i'm lucky!

dont these idiots realize some of us can see past a bit of wording on a marketing campaign??
    Rurapente
    -------------------------------------------
    If real is what you can download, watch, upload and see, then 'real' is simply Mweb Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by VonPickle View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but 14.4Mbps is equal to 1.8MBps.

At a price of R2 per meg out of bundle, you can burn through R3.60 every second. What fun!
    If you're correct then that's R216/min ?
    but then, if you're running flat out, you would have downloaded 108MB.

So, theoretically, you could download around 6GB in an hour, at a cost of R12 960 ? !
    “NO ADMITTANCE. NOT EVEN TO AUTHORISED PERSONNEL. YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME HERE. GO AWAY.” - Douglas Noel Adams
    "Advice is free. Death is inevitable." - me

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFox View Post
    I guess this is the April Fool's part.
    its freekin stupid what is the point of connecting to the vodacom network at 1Tbs if your internet connection only allows for 400kbs max ?

April Fool's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by saliehendricks View Post
    If this is indeed true - which it prob isn't - it means you can burn your 350Mb bundle in < 5mins and then pay R2/Mb and bankrupt yourself by the end of the day!
    Not if its a prepaid bundle and you only have a few rands extra airtime above that, then you will just use your 350mb really fast and be stuck and not bankrupt ..
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

I hope this is the April fools article, but the prices should definitely decrease first.

Quote Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
    “Customers who use a 14.4 Mbps-capable device and who are within a 14.4 Mbps coverage area have access to 14.4 Mbps HSDPA,”

Exactly how many customers can take advantage of this with present equipement ?
    Zultch, Zadda, NULL, Zero, Nonnie Compela, BuggerAll, What a flippen joke - it is nothing more than a carrot and a lot of people fall for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Se7enty4 View Post
    So, theoretically, you could download around 6GB in an hour, at a cost of R12 960 ? !
    Really nice, but I will be broke/bankrupt within like 10 min!!!!!!!
    Go Vodacom go!!!! Bankrupt us all!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by who.is.michael View Post
    Which tower? - I only get dial up speeds in Cape Twon...
    N1 City.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast