Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Silver Surfer Thread (iBurst 2Mbps Modem)

Quote Originally Posted by eltherza View Post
    So, for example, your download is broken in 8 "threads", of which 4 are from modem1 and 4 are from modem2?

Do you have a link to a how to guide?
    That is the general idea, however it could be that 6 threads are from modem1 and 2 from modem2, it depends on the method that you choose to do the load balancing.

There isn't a well documented howto on the net, but I run a Gentoo server and use iptables to do the balancing and manage exceptions. If you are really interested I can try to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by RVQ View Post
    Do you have 2 contracts i.e. pay double the price?
    Yup, I went that way in order to avoid being cut off, but you can use 2 modems on 1 account.

Quote Originally Posted by RVQ View Post
    And between 12:00 and 08:00 you get double uncapped?
    I have done about 34Gb thusfar with mainly torrents.
    The biggest source of computer problems are computer solutions...

Sweet, although I have done over 60gigs so far using single link .... Guess I'll find out soon if there is a fair use policy...

Red face 2mbit Iburst & Better

Hi All

Like many of you, i'm quite interrested in the 2mbit or Higher speeds service.

My contract is renewable at Iburst from March/April next year.

Will these 2mbit Modems or better be available by Jan/Feb next year (you can upgrade 22months into your contract right).

But Iburst (must pull finger) if they want to keep their clients & will have to step-up. 1mbit is simply not enaugh and the prices of these packages are really not on. (64K uncapped/128K Uncapped must be a given, otherwise 3G/HSDPA is a better option to be honnest)

The 64K uncapped is what lead people to choose Iburst above Vodacom/MTN and CellC (and Virgin) - Lets be real and not beat around the bush.

Please give me your opinions :-)

Napalm
    Last edited by Napalm; 25-08-2010 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    1mbit is simply not enaugh
    I'm finding 1M fine actually, only really starts to lag behind with streaming HD youtube... but I'm patient, I can browse other stuff for 10mins while it caches. But going forward I see that 1Mbps won't be very good in 2 years time - considering the speed of internet goes up by about 50% year on year, we'll be seeing 20Mb land lines and 50Mb 3G [4G or what ever it's called] in 2 years times. Sadly, I'd say that iBurst wireless tech has about 5 years left in it before it becomes obsolete. Hopefully this is realized and that a plan to put better, faster, and more reliable tech on those towers are already in the plans.

and the prices of these packages are really not on.
    iBurst is much cheaper than 3G since the previous price cuts, add the bonus "give away" for the morning and 3G is definitely far to expensive

otherwise 3G/HSDPA is a better option to be honnest
    Yes, but congestion AND that phone calls get preference means that during call more time, you might expect to be dropped.

But if the rumours of CellC 5GB @ 21Mb max for R167pm are true, then I'd agree that iBurst will have to up it's game to compete... Price cuts?
    Last edited by eltherza; 25-08-2010 at 04:39 PM.

I rate all iburst subscribers who have been with iburst for 2+ years should be given 2mbps modems

Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Tree View Post
    I rate all iburst subscribers who have been with iburst for 2+ years should be given 2mbps modems
    Never mind that, they should be given a medal!
    Think for yourself, Question authority, Know what's going on

Grandmaster

Agree, 1 Mbps is obsolete, especially YouTube, when EVEN 360p videos buffer!

Quote Originally Posted by Valis View Post
    Never mind that, they should be given a medal!

Lol, agree...Time to reward old customers instead of newbies, just because they need the business. In all honesty, I have NO idea what I am going to do next year when my current MWEB contract expires....Too much bad press on iBurst and its billing dept. I might well be forced to go 3G, because I sure as hell am not paying Hellkom money for sh.1.t I'm not using. So I want to stay 'wireless' if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    Lol, agree...Time to reward old customers instead of newbies, just because they need the business. In all honesty, I have NO idea what I am going to do next year when my current MWEB contract expires....Too much bad press on iBurst and its billing dept. I might well be forced to go 3G, because I sure as hell am not paying Hellkom money for sh.1.t I'm not using. So I want to stay 'wireless' if possible.
    Yeah, that's my hassle too. I want to stay wireless, but I'm willing to consider WIMAX if the promise holds true (and iBurst fails to improve on speeds). I'm also up for contract renewal in a few months.

I've been in since Beta. Does that count for anything?
    One manís crappy software is another manís full time job. Jessica Gaston

Blog Entries

Question: What is the difference in browsing the web or reading your email at 128 kb/s or 10 Mb/s?

Quote Originally Posted by r00igev@@r View Post
    Question: What is the difference in browsing the web or reading your email at 128 kb/s or 10 Mb/s?
    Depends, am I playing TF2 at the time my wife is browsing? :P

Quote Originally Posted by r00igev@@r View Post
    So iBurst does not its users to have full benifit of the services available legally on the internet. What's the difference in watching YouTube in HD or any other streaming service at 128kb/s or 10Mb/s

EDIT: I take it iBurst is not interested or looking at increasing their speed in the near future?

Quote Originally Posted by signates View Post
    EDIT: I take it iBurst is not interested or looking at increasing their speed in the near future?
    The iBurst tech is limited to 2Mbps I believe

Quote Originally Posted by eltherza View Post
    The iBurst tech is limited to 2Mbps I believe
    It still does not address the stupid question asked by r00igevaar.

iBurst should atleast let its customers know about future plans on upgrading to 2Mbps.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by signates View Post
    So iBurst does not its users to have full benifit of the services available legally on the internet. What's the difference in watching YouTube in HD or any other streaming service at 128kb/s or 10Mb/s

What are you on about with services available legally on the internet? Yes, there is a difference in watching Youtube HD, but I was referring to communications via email and browsing applications like Internet Banking.

iBurst is a wireless technology that use a spectrum allocation nationally of 5Mhz. Unless ICASA allocates more spectrum it is a physical impossiblity. You should be asking, is ICASA looking at increasing the speed in the near future?

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast