Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Windows 7 VPN Gaming

Grandmaster

Question Windows 7 VPN Gaming

Hey guys!

Ok, i asked about this a few days ago and everyone said hamachi and lan bridger, wel, i think i got like 2 replies, but anyway!

This is the Situation:

• LAN Party at friends house, 3 or 4 guys are going to he's house.
    • Two of he's other friends can't make it, as he lives to far.
    • He has a broadband connection to he's home network.
    • Both of the friends that cant physically be at the LAN has broadband.
    • Everyone is running Windows 7

The Question:

Using the built in Windows 7 VPN, can they connect to the LAN at my friends house and play a few games?

The Info I have found:

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

1.First go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center.
    2.Click on Change adapter settings.
    3.Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
    4.Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.
    5.Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
    6.Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
    7.Make a note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that Click on Close.

Following are the steps for configuring Outgoing VPN Connection in Windows 7

2.Click on Set up a new connection or network.
    3.Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
    4.Select Use my internet connection (VPN).
    5.Type the IP address or computer name where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
    6.Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
    7.For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
    8.Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.

So- If my friend allows incoming VPN connections, will the other two guys be able to play with them?
    Also, Whats connection bridging? I have no idea what it is or anything, but If my friend, the one who allows incoming connections, bridge that incoming connections connection with he's network adapter, then what will happen, uh hahahahaha. just explain that function please!!!

Ok, im confused now..... So to recap, 2 people wants to join a home network for a night of gaming over a "lan". or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, Pooky, but dream on. You're effectively her gay best friend now.

Master
    Blog Entries

Most routers come with a VPN option, he should check his router and see if he can configure it there instead.

Grandmaster

Ok, i'll ask him to check for VPN settings on he's router.....
    Sorry to burst your bubble, Pooky, but dream on. You're effectively her gay best friend now.

Grandmaster

there is no VPN option.... What router has this VPN option? Something like the Linksys WRT54G?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartaniz View Post
    Hey guys!

Ok, i asked about this a few days ago and everyone said hamachi and lan bridger, wel, i think i got like 2 replies, but anyway!

This is the Situation:

• LAN Party at friends house, 3 or 4 guys are going to he's house.
    • Two of he's other friends can't make it, as he lives to far.
    • He has a broadband connection to he's home network.
    • Both of the friends that cant physically be at the LAN has broadband.
    • Everyone is running Windows 7

The Question:

Using the built in Windows 7 VPN, can they connect to the LAN at my friends house and play a few games?

The Info I have found:

Following are the steps for configuring Incoming VPN Connection in Windows 7

2.Click on Change adapter settings.
    3.Press Alt+F and select New Incoming connection
    4.Put a check on who you’d like to give access to this computer or you can configure a new account by clicking on Add someone,after that click on Next.
    5.Put a check mark on Through the Internet. Click on Next.
    6.Select the protocols you want to enable for this connection. Click on Allow access.
    7.Make a note of the Computer name as this will be used by the client to connect to this computer and after that Click on Close.

Following are the steps for configuring Outgoing VPN Connection in Windows 7

2.Click on Set up a new connection or network.
    3.Select Connect to a workplace then click on Next.
    4.Select Use my internet connection (VPN).
    5.Type the IP address or computer name where you wish to connect and your connection name under the Destination name field.
    6.Enter a User name and password that has been granted access to the host computer.
    7.For getting connected through created VPN connection, you can either right-click on the Network icon in the system tray and select Network and Sharing Center or go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center, and click on Connect to a network.
    8.Now connect VPN Connection windows will appears.

So- If my friend allows incoming VPN connections, will the other two guys be able to play with them?
    Also, Whats connection bridging? I have no idea what it is or anything, but If my friend, the one who allows incoming connections, bridge that incoming connections connection with he's network adapter, then what will happen, uh hahahahaha. just explain that function please!!!

Ok, im confused now..... So to recap, 2 people wants to join a home network for a night of gaming over a "lan". or something like that.
    The whole windows 7 VPN thing does work well for gaming me and a friend usually do it when we want to play a few games all you need to do is make sure the IPs are configured on both sides with all the ports forwarded and so on and they should be set to play. I think they both would have to dial in to different computers though because i think (am not sure) windows XP and 7 can only handle 1 VPN connection at a time....
    Last edited by luketang56; 21-09-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Master

Windows's VPN Has always been a problem, a lot of games won't work through it, reason: UDP. or the lack thereof. I'm no guru when it comes to VPN's.... but I know my way around, and have myself been wanting to have it work for gaming, the only solution for me was to go for OpenVPN.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

If it is a permanent thing - happens often - then get yourself a real router.
    Mikrotik will do it just fine, and even supports other protocols like IPX.

Well worth the R500 or so you will pay for each one.
    Think twice, speak once.
    ANC - outfailing itself year after year
    ESKOM - Eish, Sorry Krag Opge*** - Maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by avert View Post
    take a look at hamachi, does exactly what you want

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/
    +1 Works great, I can recommend this.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Hamachi is definitely the easiest and quickest to setup and its working pretty well too. Just ensure that you correct the network connection order such that the Hamachi VPN network interface is in first place.
    To do that, go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings -> Advanced menu -> Advanced Settings..., and move the Hamachi interface to the top and then restart your PC.
    * If you don't move it to the first position then you would still be able to connect to the games when specifying the IP address, BUT using the LAN game discovery WON'T work!!!

Hamachi makes VPN's easy, since you don't have to setup DynDNS or connect to a fixed IP address.

I'm all for the MikroTik RB750 (R325 ex VAT from Scoop Distributions) like some of the other people already suggested. You get a level 4 license which allow you to host VPN server for multiple users, as well as tonnes of other features

If you don't want to spend money on hardware, you can always setup DynDNS on your PC and host an OpenVPN server. It requires a reasonable amount of network knowledge/skill to setup.

The only problem that you might have with Windows 7 is that it might only allow 1 client to connect at once.
    Last edited by Pada; 04-05-2010 at 11:51 AM.

BTW Spartaniz, I was the first one who suggested hamachi before this lot in the same thread you made in the gaming section, pity you never went to check it out again
    And thats the bottom line, cause StoneCold said so...
    Proud Openweb Gold Uncapped Unshaped user

Quote Originally Posted by vinodh View Post
    They must have throttled your cancellation request