Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Netgear dg834 smartwizard

Default Netgear dg834 smartwizard

Morning guys

I know this has entered discussion before but none of the solutions I read on the forums seem to be working.

I set up my Router as per normal- line synchs- internet light stays red- now. Smartwizard fails and I delete the folder it makes on my C:/.

I have tried to access it through:

www......basicsetting- it asks me for user name and password
    admin
    password
    this leads me to a blank page tried several hard resets.

Attempted creating a static IP and accessing it thriugh 192.168.0.1 - Tells me someone other than admin is attempting to access router and doesn't work until I set IP back to default and reset router.

There just seems to be no way for me to bypass it.

Help please

Blog Entries

We can't really help you, unless you are clearer in your explanation. Maybe post some screenshots of the router admin page as well, and the errors your are getting.

If I had to attempt a guess, I would say that your firmware is probably corrupted. There ARE ways to update the firmware of a bricked router, you just have to Google a bit to find out. You might want to try updating with frimware from DGTeam.

Never use the bundles Cd with the modem. I think the netgear CD has installed some sort of software on your pc. When you access 192.168.0.1 it loads the smart wizard instead of the actual modem settings.

You can either reset the modem and plug it into another PC to setup or search and remove anything with "netgear" on your pc and registry.

Paul, I attempted removing everything on my pc associated with "netgear" to no avail. I wish I had read that before I inserted the crappy cd into my PC.

There are a few people with this problem - you would think netgear would release an official solution to this. Although granted most people seem to be able to bypass it by resetting the modem.

Toxic I am at work so cannot upload screenshots right now, but it gives me an option to chose a country- after this I chose a password- it then attempts to detect a line and fails, the only option after that is to restart the detection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paul5186 View Post
    You can either reset the modem and plug it into another PC to setup or search and remove anything with "netgear" on your pc and registry.

First try to un-install it using the Add/Remove Software applet built into Windows.

Blog Entries

Check if the Netgear software has made any changes to your hosts file. Open up C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts in notepad, and see if there are any references to the IP address of the router. The hosts file is a "routing table" of sorts. It could be redirecting requests to your routers IP address to the Netgear Software.

Just called shop I bought modem from- also suggested a hard reset- I'll try it again when i get home

WORK (Hillcrest, PTA) / LIVE (Fourways, JHB)

Hey Drew,

Got the same router. I came back home this evening and the same thing is happening to mine. Now connecting via 3G.

Did a hard reset, tried the SmartWizard, did not want to complete the SmartWizard. Set all settings manually. Entered username and password I have been using for ages.

DSL syncs (green) but still "Internet" light stays red.

What's going on? Two NetGear routers?

Gonna try the Telkom guest account.

Edit: Nope, Telkom guest account does not work, Axxess Express account does not work, Axxess Lite account does not work. Gonna try and flash the router with the firmware again.

Edit: Just tried to re-flash the router with both the official NetGear firmware and the DGTeam customer firmware. Did a hard reset after flashing both times. Still nothing on all 3 accounts. Every time it just syncs up just fine, just does not want to accept username and password. Just keeps saying initializing LCP.
    Last edited by nuyork; 19-05-2010 at 09:48 PM.
    Keith and the Girl - the BEST podcast on the net!

Hey Nuyork

Got mine working finally- did a hard reset and held the paperclip in for a full minute then reset pc and tried to access it through -> start -> run ->http:// IP addy of router also had to change vpn sttings etc before I could go on - and success. Hope you come right with yours

WORK (Hillcrest, PTA) / LIVE (Fourways, JHB)

Well I'll check when I get home tonight.

But late last night, after I had tried everything, my router lost sync. So I phoned up Telkom and they said there was a fault in the Fourways exchange since 6pm, and I only got home after 7pm, so yeah. It was syncing just fine, that's why I thought it was a ISP or router issue.

So this afternoon I got an update on the Fourways exchange problem and they said it has been sorted out now. So I'll check tonight.
    Keith and the Girl - the BEST podcast on the net!