Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home Based Typists/Data Entry Clerks SCAM

Super Grandmaster

Default Home Based Typists/Data Entry Clerks SCAM

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to let you guys know of an alleged scam that looks like its doing its rounds in SA. My mom saw an ad in the local paper and emailed the guy. What follows is the conversation (I've edited out my moms name):

Good Day Sir/Madam

I saw your addvert in the CXPress this week, offering positions to Home Based Typists/Data Entry Clerks.

I manage an office from 08h30 to 17h00 Mondays to Fridays but do have time in the evenings and at weekends to do extra work. I type fast and accurately and am impeccable with my grammar and spelling. I have a computer and internet access at home.

Please can you send me some more detailed information as to what is involved/required and advise if one can do it on a part time basis and if so, how remuneration is calculated.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanking You & Kind Regards
    (name)
    Good (name)

The following is more info regarding the freelance/independent opportunity you have expressed interest in:

As an Independent Processing Operator/Clerk, the following will be expected from you:

· Access to a PC (whether it is your PC at home or the PC at work during quiet times or even the Internet café is of no importance – as long as you have one.

· Constant Internet Access – you will be working "online"

· a valid E-mail account

· a bank account (in order for you to receive payment)

· you must also be able to conduct yourself in a professional manner at all times. You have to be a "people person". This includes having excellent grammar and spelling when communicating with clients via E-mail.

· In addition to the above requirements, you must be able to follow instructions closely and completely

All contact will be via E-mail - you will not be required to call anyone at anytime. The point behind the "virtual industry" is to cut down on office overheads after all. This allows you to work whichever hours are most convenient for you (days, night, or weekends).

You will need a word processing program in order to perform this position successfully (MS Word, Works, Open Office etc.) Once you have received the training materials, you can start working from home today, or where ever you choose to conduct business. Most applicants typically complete the training within 24 hours or less. However, you can do this at your leisure.

THE WORK - You will be processing Email applications, as well as filling out forms in specific company databases (this tends to be tedious at times, so please be sure that you have the patience to do so before proceeding). This is why you will need to have basic Internet knowledge, though the training provided will give you step-by-step instructions on how to perform these tasks properly. You will NOT be cold calling or selling products.

There are no "down-times" with this opportunity, so you will have a constant flow of work to complete. However, you are able to take on as much or as little work as you wish.

The amount of money you make each week is entirely up to you, and how much time and effort you are willing to put in with this position. The average person makes R 2500 - R 4500 per week, for approx 2-5 hours spent online per day. I cannot stress this enough – No one can stand behind you with a whip and force you to work so please do not expect me to guarantee how much you will earn?

The constant influx of work is overwhelming. Once an applicant has registered, they are considered an Independent Processing Operator. You will be given the "tools" in order to function independently. This means that your taxes will not be taken out; therefore, you will not be provided with any tax forms. This is entirely your responsibility. The training provided will go more in depth about what to do with your taxes. This also means that you will not be working for us, but you will be affiliated and you will receive all the support you need for as long as you need it. You will be registered on our system using your full name, date of birth and location.

THE MONEY - You will receive your pay through EFT’S or direct deposit. When an application is completed successfully, between R150.00 to R200.00 will be paid to you on the same day. An application is not complete until you have received payment in other words. Please do not wait for a paycheck at the end of the month – not going to happen. You will be paid per application when and if it is completed. The money "trickles" into your account all throughout the month

THE TRAINING - We require a fee of R150.00 for our training. For two reasons (1) it safeguards us from those applicants who really just want to waste our time by allowing us to set them up, train them and then they conveniently don’t do any work. (2) It covers our admin costs and registration fees. It is non refundable. This line of work is not for everyone, please think carefully before you proceed with your application, we would hate for you to feel out of pocket or done in.

This fee will not be waived for anyone, and cannot be deducted from your first pay. This is because you are independent and the money that is yours does not pass through our hands first. Once your payment is received, you will be given immediate training.

Keep in mind that the sooner you go through the training materials, the sooner you will start earning money. I can be contacted via E-mail at any time after you have received your training materials to help you, or answer any questions you may have.

If you are serious about this position, meet all the requirements, and are responsible enough to work independently, then please contact me via E-mail and I will send you the relevant registration, training and banking details so you may get started.

Sincerely,

Henry
    Hi Henry

Thank you for your informative email.

Sorry to ask this, but how can I be assured that this is not just another scam, like so many out there? Does your company have a name so that I can verify its authenticity?

Please understand that I know I have the ambition and skills to take on the job, but need to know that it is a 'kosher' company and I am not going to pay R150 and find that it will not come to anything.

(name)
    Good Day Again (name)

Like I explained in my first email to you that this ain't a scam and no one force you in doing something you don't feel happy with. This is a extra earning opportunity and this freelance opportunity is a chain and at the end of the day is it you that will miss out of an extra income.

Like I said I don't want you to feel pocketed, so make hundred percent sure that you are willing to put extra hours in and make a extra income for yourself. Remember you are your own boss when you join this independent opportunity.

Hope my email answered your concerns.

Regards

Henry
    Hi Henry
    Can you please give me the name of your company?
    (name)
    (name)

Like I explained to you that this is a chain freelance opportunity. Look don't stress yourself out about is this a scam or what, at the end of the day you are the one loosing out here not me you are not the only one that has shown interest in this freelance opportunity.

Once again this freelance opportunity is not a must you are the one who does the final decision.

Regards

Henry
    Sorry for the long messages, feel free to not read it all
    Post your experiences if you've been caught in a similar scam.
    It's sad that while people are trying to earn a bit of extra money by working overtime there are people like this trying to scam money from those who are prepared to work.

P.S. Some more info on "Henry"
    ■ Gmail reports his name to be "HENRY LOUW"
    ■ His email is hlearnathome@gmail.com

99% of those things are scams

The moment they ask for money, if it wasn't obvious enough already, it should be then.

Yeah its a scam.

Not willing to provide a company name and address? Scam.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    99% of those things are scams

The moment they ask for money, if it wasn't obvious enough already, it should be then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Yeah its a scam.

Not willing to provide a company name and address? Scam.
    Thought so, thanks for the replies.
    And running a "business" from a gmail account? Dodgy indeed

Watch Carte Blanche more often?
    Was up on Thursday with these scams.
    Quote Originally Posted by markafghani View Post
    Thanks for nothing guys.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by 2scaly4j0o View Post
    Watch Carte Blanche more often?
    Was up on Thursday with these scams.
    No DSTV or MNET

Found a link though... http://beta.mnet.co.za/carteblanche/...=3952&ShowId=2
    Last edited by d7e7r7; 20-05-2010 at 03:52 PM.

THE TRAINING - We require a fee of R150.00 for our training.
    this freelance opportunity is a chain
    The key warning signs right there.
    PeerLevel Web Hosting
    Hosting the most important website in the world: Yours!

Blog Entries

Yep, def. a scam. And the fact that he doesn't want to give a name means he doesn't want people posting it all over the internet (and warning others).

A friend of mine sent the money off and got some photocopied pages on how to scam other people in exactly the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by d7e7r7 View Post
    ■ Gmail reports his name to be "HENRY LOUW"
    Hi there, sorry I don't mean to derail this thread or anything but was just curious how you got his details from gmail? Is there a place where you can type in someone's details and they will tell you their info or something?

Funny thing is you'll find this on job websites esp. crappy ones but rather expect to see it on any job website.

What you should do is google part of the job statement because they usually copy&paste most of the stuff.
    I googled
    "All contact will be via E-mail - you will not be required to call anyone at anytime. "
    and now know they post these jobs at job.donkiz.co.za , work-at-home-forum.com
    Filter the google search for south africa only and you see these sites
    jobspace.co.za , magicalmemory.co.za

I think I should be an online cop, seriously

Quote Originally Posted by stevovo View Post
    Hi there, sorry I don't mean to derail this thread or anything but was just curious how you got his details from gmail? Is there a place where you can type in someone's details and they will tell you their info or something?
    Also I know they use free website addresses of course, and they paste their messages in italic (definitely not professional)

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by stevovo View Post
    Gmail normally shows up the name the person entered when creating the account. I think thats how it works

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by papooze View Post
    What you should do is google part of the job statement because they usually copy&paste most of the stuff.
    I googled
    "All contact will be via E-mail - you will not be required to call anyone at anytime. "
    and now know they post these jobs at job.donkiz.co.za , work-at-home-forum.com
    Filter the google search for south africa only and you see these sites
    jobspace.co.za , magicalmemory.co.za

I think I should be an online cop, seriously
    Thats the first thing I did cause my mom asked me to investigate whether or not this was a scam or not before she paid any money.
    My email to her:

It's a scam!!!

Looks like he has copied an pasted from somewhere. See here: http://www.consumerfraudreporting.or..._dataentry.php
    Its almost identical. The line "In addition to the above requirements, you must be able to follow instructions closely and completely" is quoted directly from there and in the link below.

Read here too: http://forum.gumtree.co.za/about2556.html

See here too: http://www.work-at-home-forum.com/id...ons-13251.html
    "You must also be able to conduct yourself in a professional manner. This includes having excellent grammar and spelling when communicating with clients via E-mail.
    In addition to the above requirements, you MUST be able to follow instructions closely and completely!" is also directly copied and pasted from there.
    P.S. My email to her was speed typed to there's gonna be spelling, grammar, and placement errors

It's good you did.
    I think one can land in these situations when becoming desperate/needy(well that was my case don't know about others)
    Once I was looking for a laptop so I decided to look in bidorbuy.
    The laptop was high-end but had a decent price, so I searched on google and found that on Gumtree there was an item being sold with same description and two items as
    the bidorbuy user had.

Might be legitimate but it's good that google stores this stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast