Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: 384k line and raiding

Grandmaster

Default 384k line and raiding

so, Im moving one of these days to a house with a 384k line, and was wondering if it is actually possible to raid with above-mentioned line? and who would be the best bet to go with. seem to recall people saying the best option was with webafrica's unshaped option. any feedback from the folks that know their story would be welcome

I use Cybersmarts unshaped line used to RAID with 384k line but vent did not always work well, now have 4MB line so I don't have those issues.

I did all of BT, Sunwell and up to Ulduar raiding on 384k with Ventrilo. Worked fine. The letdown these days for me are the ISPs who can't offer a package suited for gaming, as well as the increase in spam data in the game, had to kill ALOT of addons to make it work. But yes, 384k was fine for raiding for me always, latencies anything from 300-800 depending on circumstances.
    This signature is horrendously outdated.

Super Grandmaster

I used to do 25mans with Vent/TS on a 384kb line without hassles. Web Africa's normal shaped option is perfectly fine. 280ms ping (and I'm nowhere near Jhb/CT/Dbn) allowed for fine raiding.

should be ok with wa account, but on fights like queen and professor phase 3(only 25 mans), you may get some spikes as allot of data is being send then, thats the fights where i get spikes.
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

had to step up to a 512 for 25 man naxx, used to dc in aoe heavy fights, but I did have a dodgy line, raid fine in 10 mans on 384k though
    The Apocalyptic Bovines
    提高幸运的鱼口袋辉煌

Agree.

10 man 384k should be fine.
    25 man with Vent at least 512k but 4mbit will solve a lot.

WA shaped accounts are fine IMHO. No need to go Unshaped.
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies

Grandmaster

cheers for that. one other thing. if i go with webafrica, I can join steam for free? steam is with them right?

They do have a steam server yes, but steam itself downloads from multiple servers, so it will help but everything wont be coming from the WA steam server.
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies