Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [Ubuntu]Linux: what can I use to play .wmv files

Question [Ubuntu]Linux: what can I use to play .wmv files

Ok, I'm now using Ubuntu 5.04, and none of the pre-installed applications seem to like a .wmv file - not surprising since it's an M$ prorietary thing...anyways I want to know if there's a kewl Linux app that I can download as a substitute for Windoze Media Player...?

I wonder if Winamp runs on Linux...haven't used Winamp for many years - will it be Linuxamp maybe?

Grandmaster

mplayer - but you'll have to build it from source. mplayer infringes on a number of patents for proprietary formats which Ubuntu doesn't agree with so they touch out all the infringing bits. You'll have to remove any mplayer packages from ubuntu and build from source. I've got my mplayer set up to play just about everything - .mov, .wmv, etc. IIRC Kaffeine and those apps are just front ends for either mplayer or gstreamer.
    Bandwidth is the lifeblood of the digital economy - Mark Shuttleworth

not entirely, there are alot of changes with kaffiene because it ships with suse, and they can't chip sstuff with patents unless they are granted a licence, so they made alot of mods.

kaffiene plays anything out of the box except i think it was divx... cant remember now, you know what though, i run the windows vlc or media player classic on it, because those play AnYTHING, even broken stuff or .bin vcd images, its really something, you cannot beat windows when it comes to playing crazy codecs

Quote Originally Posted by ic
    Ok, I'm now using Ubuntu 5.04, and none of the pre-installed applications seem to like a .wmv file - not surprising since it's an M$ prorietary thing...anyways I want to know if there's a kewl Linux app that I can download as a substitute for Windoze Media Player...?
    U can use mplayer or totem on Ubuntu.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install totem-xine
    I wonder if Winamp runs on Linux...haven't used Winamp for many years - will it be Linuxamp maybe?
    why winamp when u can use xmms?
    F2330-60926

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will spend some time over the w/e trying a few of them .

BTW "Totem Movie Player" is what antowan's .wmv opened with, and then Totem borked - saying
    There were no decoders found to handle the stream in file "doc.wmv", you might need to install the corresponding plugins
    but it doesn't say where I can get the corresponding plugins...something to google over the w/e...

Well I tried finding the necessary plugins for Totem - no luck there - got side-tracked with rpm stuff for Fedora Core or whatever...it is remotely possible that the downloaded wmv is corrupt, I'm going to ask Antowan if he can post the md5sum for each of the files...

Then I tried installing Kaffiene using the Ubuntu Synaptic Package Manager [since it allows you to mark dependencies for download & installation as well], anyways that nearly worked - kept failing on one of the dependencies: kdelibs4_3.4.0-0ubuntu3.2_i386.deb ...methinks the easiest is to play the wmvz in WMP...

.wmv files are windows media codec based files, so u'll need w32codecs. To install those check the Unofficial Ubuntu Guide.
    F2330-60926

Quote Originally Posted by stepper
    .wmv files are windows media codec based files, so u'll need w32codecs. To install those check the Unofficial Ubuntu Guide.
    Ok will do, thanks .

Ok, I have just followed the destructions at http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#codecs, and I am happy to say that Totem is now playing the .wmv file .

Thanks Stepper & Dorris for suggesting UbuntuGuide.org - if any forumites are considering using Ubuntu Linux, then make sure you follow the steps there - lots of info about all aspects of Ubuntu .

Ok, I have just followed the destructions at http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#codecs, and I am happy to say that Totem is now playing the .wmv file .

Thanks Stepper & Dorris for suggesting UbuntuGuide.org - if any forumites are considering using Ubuntu Linux, then make sure you follow the steps there - lots of info about all aspects of Ubuntu .
    Glad u got it sorted!
    Dont break it now, stay clear of programs u dont need (I know from experience, like now I installed the bootsplash and the shutdown screen is riddled with error messages).
    Destructions? I thought u are a noob! The only people who call the Ubuntuguide.org website a destruction are those stuck up linux hardheads @ #ubuntu channel on freenode servers.
    F2330-60926

LOL, no not referring to UbuntuGuide.org, I refer to any sort of "instructions" as "destructions" - for me it's instructions are an extension of Murphy's Law - if anything can go wrong it invariably will go wrong - therefore I lower my expectations of stuff working as advertised & simply say "destructions" .

I am about to try WINE - I have a Windoze app that I want to try running in Linux...

Also, I would like to get Bluetooth going in Ubuntu...not sure if there's support for b/t yet though - there's nothing about it on UbuntuGuide.org...

Bluetooth works on Ubuntu, but sadly GNOME doesn't have a GUI frontend like Windows Nokia PC suite, although u can try the kde-bluetooth framework which will require u to install kde libs. I'm assuming its Ubuntu not Kubuntu u have installed.
    About WINE, I dont touch that anymore, I have a new rule: , if its a windows program it should run only on windows, thats why I have a double boot of XP and Hoary.
    F2330-60926

Ok thanks Stepper , I will have a look for B/T destructions on ubuntuforums.org...

[BTW yep it's not kubuntu - I decided to start with the gnome version since that's "officially supported" by the ubuntu team...]

My goal ATM is not even to attempt to get Nokia PC Suite working in Linux, I actually want to get my Bluetooth Headset working with Skype...

Another question I have is UbuntuGuide.org suggests using Firestarter, but I have already installed Shorewall, which is better and why?

Another question I have is UbuntuGuide.org suggests using Firestarter, but I have already installed Shorewall, which is better and why?
    Oh, I dunno really, I dont use a firewall or antivirus on Ubuntu.
    My goal ATM is not even to attempt to get Nokia PC Suite working in Linux, I actually want to get my Bluetooth Headset working with Skype...
    This link can get u started, its for gentoo linux though. 'emerge' is same as 'apt-get install' , I stand corrected!
    http://www.andybotting.com/mediawiki...oth_adventures

Also check whether your bluetooth device is supported here http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...1&si=Bluetooth
    F2330-60926

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast