Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weird problem

Grandmaster

Question Weird problem

Sorry for the vague title, no better way to explain it.

Signed my parents up for a 384k ADSL line with Afrihost account. Went across to their place this past weekend with my old Netgear router and hooked everything up. According to the router the line is connecting at 1024k but this isn't the problem.

Although the connection is there, no data is being transferred across the line. Have tried pinging both from the PC and router web interfaces, just times out. Have tried manually entering the Afrihost DNS servers, doesn't help. Tried factory restoring the router and reconfiguring everything, doesn't help. Took the router back to my place, hooked it up without changing any settings and works perfectly. Have checked the attenuation and noise levels, appear to be in range but even if they weren't the line is connected fine so I don't think there's an issue there. Have spoken to the Afrihost support guys but they have seem to have run out of suggestions. My next attempt is using a non-Afrihost account on the line and see what happens because I'm thinking that there is a problem with having two accounts with them on different lines.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Have you activated the adsl line with telkom?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Can see it in my mind's eye:Chilligirl's Compoota Factorie - Alle Compoota's Repaired Or Fixxited at Bargain Prices Notte to be Sneezed atte

Grandmaster

Mmmm, now that will be a million dollar question ...

Your folks probably would not have as they don't seem to know about these things ( you needed to set it up for them)
    Can see it in my mind's eye:Chilligirl's Compoota Factorie - Alle Compoota's Repaired Or Fixxited at Bargain Prices Notte to be Sneezed atte

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliGirl View Post
    Have you activated the adsl line with telkom?
    explains the 1024kbit sync

Grandmaster

I think it explains everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Srack0verflow View Post
    explains the 1024kbit sync
    yip

i have a similar problem,my isp says the accounts are active and the telkom line syncs,but no data flow over it,i have resynced this line now continiously for the past 5 days,at least twice a day, what would you suggest is wrong,i have been using this line for over a year now and all of a sudden its doing this random stuff.
    E8400 | 4x1G DDR2 800 | Gigabyte X38-DQ6 | 4870 | 2x500G + 250G Seagate | 24" Samsung T240

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiedust100 View Post
    i have a similar problem,my isp says the accounts are active and the telkom line syncs,but no data flow over it,i have resynced this line now continiously for the past 5 days,at least twice a day, what would you suggest is wrong,i have been using this line for over a year now and all of a sudden its doing this random stuff.
    Yours is an existing line with a problem . The discussion here is regarding a NEW adsl line. & those need to be activated.

Quick question for you: When you lift the hand set & hold it to your ear, is there static on the line?

no static on the line at all.
    E8400 | 4x1G DDR2 800 | Gigabyte X38-DQ6 | 4870 | 2x500G + 250G Seagate | 24" Samsung T240

have you perhaps got a spare telephone cable to link the router to the wall socket? or have you tried that?

already tried that,problem still persist.

already tried that,problem still persist.
    Have you tried resetting your router to factory settings & reentering the settings afterwards?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast