Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Unlocking a Vodafone Blackberry 8520 Curve???

Default Unlocking a Vodafone Blackberry 8520 Curve???

Hello all,

I need some help please. My mom has recently gotten a new contract with Vodacom, and got a Blackberry 8520 with it. She uses her normal Samsung phone she previously had, and gave the BB to me.

I am using a Vodacom prepaid sim, and had a Nokia 6600. I travel to africa alot and swap sims to use the phones over there. It works fine with my 6600, but now it seems like I have a issue with this BB. Also, some applications dont want to work like Windows live messenger, and I think the problem is related to the phone being locked.

Any help or advice on this as Im not that clued up??? I had alot of freedom on my Nokia 6600, and would like to have that too with my new BB

Many thanks.
    J

If the 8520 was supplied by Vodacom here in South Africa it will not be network locked!

It could be that some applications requires you to have the Blackberry service active on your pre-pay account. I believe this can be activated (for a fee) on a month by month basis...
    I spent most of my money on fast cars, fast women and booze. The rest I just squandered...

Hello,

Thankyou for the reply. Ok, then I just need to check it then, would you suggest I contact Vodacom in this regard? Will they help me even though I am using the phone with a different sim etc? I didnt test the phone with another sim yet, but presumed from past experience it was locked as it has the VLIVE menus, and screens on the phone, etc.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie-DMX View Post
    Hello,

Thankyou for the reply. Ok, then I just need to check it then, would you suggest I contact Vodacom in this regard? Will they help me even though I am using the phone with a different sim etc? I didnt test the phone with another sim yet, but presumed from past experience it was locked as it has the VLIVE menus, and screens on the phone, etc.

J
    I'm sure Vodacom don't care where the phone comes from. You could have bought it second hand or even from cacell.co.za and you would be in the same boat.

Cool,

I will give it a bash. Thanks a million Now another issue, seems like these blackberrys need "service books" to allow some apps to work??? Can vodacom help me with this, or what. Need windows live messenger to work on here...

Eish...

Grandmaster

Blackberry needs bis, once you have this everything will work. Until then most internet applications will not work. You will get service books once bis is activated. It's about R60-R70 a month and more than worth its small cost. There might be other messaging apps that will let you use windows live contacts and not use bis (google it).
    Last edited by oronte; 04-06-2010 at 11:53 AM.

You must also remember that if you're going to swap sim cards then the new sim card must also have bis activated on it otherwise you'll only be able to use it for calling/sms

Aha,

If I only knew this before choosing the phone 0_o

Ok, seems like I have to make the best of a bad situation. Thanks all for the input. Does this BIS need to be enable all the time, or can I get one app, BIS for one month, and get it over and done with? Does it only need access to BIS for this one time, or permanently?

Grandmaster

Bis is basically like a network running on MTN/Vodacom run by RIM. The reason we buy blackberrys with bis is because RIM provide the bandwidth (hence we get unlimited internet). Having a blackberry without bis is utterly pointless, rather get a different phone if you don't want to pay for bis because most apps require it all the time (you're always connected to bis, which is how you get push e-mail, etc.)

Ah ok, it makes 100% sense now. Ok, for my needs it seems like the blackberry wasnt a good choice then... Awwell, guess im stuck with it... Not that I use the apps, was looking forward to be able too, but I really dont have room for another expense in my situation.

Thanks all for the help! Im sure I can find some non-bis apps out there, Ubertwitter works fine though...

Cheers,
    J

Hi all,

Just an quick update, Im clearly a noob with this tech, but hell, I gotta learn :P I Realised that there are ways around the BIS thingy, just need to use 3rd party apps, other than those from RIM... Also, I needed to add the APN in the options (internet) DUH!!! Now my Gmail, IM+ and everything else works hahaha...

Now I really just hope the other sim will work next time I got to Malawi or swaziland, it will only be for calls and SMS ;P

Heaps of thanks to all who commented, it was really helpful!

Cheers,
    J

Default Finding my BlackBerry Curve

Hi all,

My BlackBerry Curve 8520 is on. On silent!
    And I cannot find it! Can it be found by GPS, 1MEI Number or BBM number? It`s gone missing since Saturday. It rings and then eventually goes to voicemail.
    Any help??

thanks,
    N