Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: GPRS vs 3G?

  1. #1

    Default GPRS vs 3G?

    Hi

    If 3G is not available in a certain area, what will happen when you try to use the data card, will it simply use GPRS?

    If so, what speeds can you expect on GPRS until 3G is available?


    Thx

  2. #2
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Germany, Durban
    Posts
    622

    Thumbs up

    Hey 3G_,

    Sure will - GPRS speed is around 44-80 kbits/sec depend. on signal.

    Just make sure your profile allows for GPRS or is GPRS Only.

    Laterz !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 3G_
    Hi

    If 3G is not available in a certain area, what will happen when you try to use the data card, will it simply use GPRS?

    If so, what speeds can you expect on GPRS until 3G is available?


    Thx

  3. #3

    Default

    Hey Tazz,

    Thats faster than my DSL? Isnt GPRS supposed to be slow... or am I missing something here?

  4. #4
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Germany, Durban
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Indeed - you missed the fact that it is kbits (Kilo Bits - not bytes) - Your (A)DSL is anything from 192-512 kbits.



    Laterz !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by 3G_
    Hey Tazz,

    Thats faster than my DSL? Isnt GPRS supposed to be slow... or am I missing something here?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ruiterhof, Randburg
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz_Tux
    Hey 3G_,

    Sure will - GPRS speed is around 44-80 kbits/sec depend. on signal.

    Just make sure your profile allows for GPRS or is GPRS Only.

    Laterz !!!
    ==> 5-10 kB/s, about dialup speed usually.
    Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former

    --Albert Einstein

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •