As some of you might have seen: Google, YouTube and Facebook are hosting local mirrors for most of their services.
Unfortunately the ISP's DNS servers doesn't always report the local IP addresses, even if the services work on the local mirrors!
There are 2 ways in which you can force the Google, YouTube & Facebook to work on local cap:
- Forcing the hostnames to a fixed IP address with the use of the hosts file, which can be found in the %windir%\system32\drivers\etc folder.
Pros: very easy and quick to setup
Cons: doesn't support wildcards or multiple hostnames, which is why the list is so massive
* Instructions at the bottom
* NEW!!: There's a hosts file modification specific to YouTube viewers on the SAIX network too - see bottom of post
* NEW #2!!: There are also hosts file modifications for Google views on WebAfrica network - see Tinuva's post
- Running your own DNS server with the use of BIND9 and then overriding the hostnames using wildcards.
Pros: supports regular expressions (wildcards); 1 server can be used for multiple PC's; would override more Google & YouTube services (Facebook zone not added yet); this technique works on some routers too
Cons: the setup takes a couple of minutes to do and might seem like its for advanced users
* Instructions can be found on my blog: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/entry.ph...oogle-services
Modifying the hosts file can be done like follow:
- Run: notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
^^ Its really as simple as pressing Windows Key + R, typing in notepad %windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and pressing Enter
If you don't understand that, then you can open notepad, browse to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder and then open the file with the name hosts
- Here's the list that you'll have to add to the bottom of the hosts file:Code:# # Thanks goes to Catal, HavocXphere, Blogbytes & fragtion_ for contributing hostnames # # On SAIX: # <Google IP> = 18.104.22.168 # <YouTube IP> = 22.214.171.124 # <Facebook IP> = 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52 / 184.108.40.206 # On IS: # <Google IP> = 220.127.116.11 # <YouTube IP> = 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124 / 126.96.36.199 / 188.8.131.52 # <Facebook IP> = 184.108.40.206 / 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168 / 22.214.171.124 # Google Searching <Google IP> www.google.co.za <Google IP> www.google.com <Google IP> google.com <Google IP> google.co.za # Gmail and chat withing Gmail <Google IP> mail.google.com <Google IP> chatenabled.mail.google.com # Google Code & Pada's Traffic Splitter Google Code address <Google IP> www.gmodules.com <Google IP> traffic-splitter.googlecode.com <YouTube IP> www.googlecode.com <YouTube IP> code.google.com # Blogspot <Google IP> www.blogspot.com <Google IP> bp0.blogger.com <Google IP> bp1.blogger.com <Google IP> bp2.blogger.com <Google IP> bp3.blogger.com <Google IP> 0.bp.blogspot.com <Google IP> 1.bp.blogspot.com <Google IP> 2.bp.blogspot.com <Google IP> 3.bp.blogspot.com <Google IP> 4.bp.blogspot.com <Google IP> image.blogspot.com <Google IP> buttons.blogger.com <Google IP> upload.blogspot.com <Google IP> googleappengine.blogspot.com <Google IP> www.blogger.com <Google IP> www.blogblog.com <Google IP> img1.blogblog.com <Google IP> img2.blogblog.com <Google IP> www1.blogblog.com <Google IP> www2.blogblog.com # Google Eath & Google Maps <Google IP> maps.google.co.za <Google IP> maps.google.com <Google IP> csi.gstatic.com <Google IP> maps.gstatic.com <Google IP> gg.google.com <YouTube IP> kh.google.com <YouTube IP> mw1.google.com <YouTube IP> mw2.google.com <YouTube IP> earth.google.com <YouTube IP> mt0.google.com <YouTube IP> mt1.google.com <YouTube IP> mt2.google.com <YouTube IP> mt3.google.com <YouTube IP> khm.google.com <YouTube IP> cbk0.google.com <YouTube IP> cbk1.google.com <YouTube IP> cbk2.google.com <YouTube IP> cbk3.google.com # Other Google Services <Google IP> news.google.com <Google IP> blitz.appspot.com <Google IP> www.google-analytics.com <Google IP> ssl.google-analytics.com <Google IP> t0.gstatic.com <Google IP> t1.gstatic.com <Google IP> t2.gstatic.com <Google IP> t3.gstatic.com <Google IP> www.gstatic.com <YouTube IP> books.google.co.za <YouTube IP> books.google.com <YouTube IP> calendar.google.com <YouTube IP> video.google.com <YouTube IP> translate.google.com <YouTube IP> docs.google.com <YouTube IP> appengine.google.com <YouTube IP> clients1.google.com <YouTube IP> clients2.google.com <YouTube IP> clients3.google.com <YouTube IP> clients4.google.com <YouTube IP> clients5.google.com <YouTube IP> id.google.com <YouTube IP> dl.google.com # YouTube <Google IP> ad-emea.doubleclick.net <Google IP> s.ytimg.com <Google IP> webcache.googleusercontent.com <YouTube IP> youtube.co.za <YouTube IP> youtube.com <YouTube IP> www.youtube.co.za <YouTube IP> www.youtube.com <YouTube IP> www.youtube-nocookie.com <YouTube IP> i1.ytimg.com <YouTube IP> i2.ytimg.com <YouTube IP> i3.ytimg.com <YouTube IP> i4.ytimg.com <YouTube IP> upload.youtube.com # Facebook <Facebook IP> www.facebook.com <Facebook IP> static.ak.fbcdn.net <Facebook IP> profile.ak.fbcdn.net <Facebook IP> upload.facebook.com
- Replace (please make use of the Replace... [CTRL + H] function) the <Google IP>, <YouTube IP> and <Facebook IP> with the correct IP address, which I've given at the top of the list.
If I've specified multiple IP addresses, using a / to separate them, please just pick one random one from the list.
Please use the IP addresses according to your local ISP: SAIX/IS !
- Save the file and exit notepad. You don't need to restart for it to take effect.
If you're having trouble with either a Google, YouTube of Facebook page, then I would appreciate it if you can give me as much information as possible:
- Overriding method that you're using
- ISP account name
- URL that's not working on local cap
- ping results to the hostname specified by the URL (for intermediate/advanced users)
- the DNS server's IP address that you're using (for intermediate/advanced users)
- Overriding method: hosts file
- ISP account name:Mweb consumer uncapped
- URL: https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1
- Ping results:Code:C:\Users\xxx>ping mail.google.com Pinging googlemail.l.google.com [126.96.36.199] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 188.8.131.52: bytes=32 time=366ms TTL=47 Reply from 184.108.40.206: bytes=32 time=365ms TTL=47 Reply from 220.127.116.11: bytes=32 time=366ms TTL=47 Reply from 18.104.22.168: bytes=32 time=369ms TTL=47 Ping statistics for 22.214.171.124: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 365ms, Maximum = 369ms, Average = 366ms
- DNS Server IP address: 126.96.36.199
A few notes when forcing the Google services to the local IP address:
- I haven't managed to get Google Talk working yet
- I found Google Earth to be quite slow
Here are the results of people trying to ping www.google.co.za without forcing it to the local IP address: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...w.Google.co.za
If you've found more cool Google services that are mirrored locally, please contribute
Hosts file modification specifically for YouTube viewers on SAIX network:http://pastebin.com/ra85gsiW * Thank Fragtion for this
If you're to cheap to have international bandwidth left to even view that, you can download the contents here: http://www.quickshare.co.za/files/ky...g2010.txt.html