Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Over the red line

Default Over the red line

Hi

Who looses out when one goes over ones cap ? Is it Telkom or is it my ISP, finacially speaking.

I noticed this morning my IP had turned over with it's usual 24 hr cycle and i was over my cap but my IP is still 165.146.x.x

Don't really ant to screw my ISP over and download a whole lot of crap if i am over limit.

So i was just wondering how this works ?

the way i see it telkom resets the ip every 24 hours because otherwise you could have 1MB left in your cap and download like crazy as long as you stay connected. they would only catch on the next day. i'll be honest about it, this is what i do anyway to answer the question, i think telkom loses out because they basically provide the bandwidth whereas the ISP only provides the user account and access to the network. so no need to feel bad, you're screwing telkom over which is the right thing to do

Highflyer_GP, I don't it is a matter of screwing Telkom, it is just that one reduces the amount we are being screwed by

I don't it is a matter of screwing Telkom, it is just that one reduces the amount we are being screwed by
    LOL never saw it that way

To answer your question:

If you are on the shaped service, your ISP will get scewed once you go over 30 Gig - anything less and no-one gets screwed

---
    Pedantic
    www.saol.com

But when you say over 30Gigs - you are refering to international traffic. Once a person is capped the can download as much as they like localy ?

Nice Hours you keep

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd
    But when you say over 30Gigs - you are refering to international traffic. Once a person is capped the can download as much as they like localy ?

Nice Hours you keep

No Byrd, anything over 30 Gig (including local traffic) - that is why some ISP's are specifically enforcing a hard cap ! ( I remember seeing somewhere that the ISP caps the user at 27 Gig to ensure they don't get over the 30 Gig).

---
    Pedantic
    www.saol.com
    Last edited by Pedantic; 31-07-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Agh - shame.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

You guys are all confused.
    Boom....

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoDent
    You guys are all confused.
    About?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

About who gets screwed... Axxess, WebAfrica, SAOL, all of them, resell SAIX accounts, and saix bandwidth. If you screw someone, you're screwing Telkom. They just all resell within the system that Telkom allows them to.
    Boom....

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoDent
    About who gets screwed... Axxess, WebAfrica, SAOL, all of them, resell SAIX accounts, and saix bandwidth. If you screw someone, you're screwing Telkom. They just all resell within the system that Telkom allows them to.
    No, you got that wrong. SAIX resellers pay for the accounts they sell, anything over 30 Gig and the ISP is "penalised" (Can't go into any detail here for obvious reasons).

So, bottom line: Anything over 30 Gig and you're costing your ISP, anything below 30 Gig, your'e costing SAIX .. simple.

---
    Pedantic
    www.saol.com

This is not logical. If the ISP had to pay for the additional usage you can be certain they would pass this on to the consumer.

There are very few altruistic companies in South Africa, and I doubt any of them are ISPs.

Quote Originally Posted by pookfuzz
    This is not logical. If the ISP had to pay for the additional usage you can be certain they would pass this on to the consumer.

There are very few altruistic companies in South Africa, and I doubt any of them are ISPs.
    It may not seem logical from your point of view, but if you were aware of the current conditions and looked at the ADSL market over the past few months you would understand it all too clearly - it's all clear to me, but I'm not sure the industry or the ADSL community is ready for it yet.

Regarding altruistic companies ... think of which companies forced the ADSL price war - they are the ones who were happy to pass the savings on to the customer instead of joining the masses for huge profit.

Need I say more ?

---
    Pedantic
    www.saol.com

I'm pretty sure when I speak for all of us that the reasons for this is not obvious.
    If Telkom's crappy accounting allows you to get screwed, then this is something to take up with them, not your users.
    Boom....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast