Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Does anyone know where I can buy tapioca maltodextrin from?

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

Default Does anyone know where I can buy tapioca maltodextrin from?

I've been scouring the internet but can only come up with international sites offering to export it to South Africa. I can't find any local suppliers of tapioca maltodextrin.

It is a modified tapioca starch that absorbs fat and I'm desperately trying to find a local supplier.
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    I've been scouring the internet but can only come up with international sites offering to export it to South Africa. I can't find any local suppliers of tapioca maltodextrin.

It is a modified tapioca starch that absorbs fat and I'm desperately trying to find a local supplier.
    apparently this USN product contains it
    http://www.supplementworld.co.za/usn...n-dessert.html

other than that my google skills cant seem to find anything else

Only some serious cardio will help

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blunomore View Post
    Only some serious cardio will help
    LOL. I'm not looking to lose weight at all. I want to use it in cooking to create flavoured powders...
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

If it is a starch you could try the Tongaat group, they used to have a company called African Products who used to make starches, glucoses etc... Perhaps within there they will be able to point you in the right directions, you really getting into this whole flavoured packet thing ;-)

eh I'm confused. Didn't you just complain about the maltodextrin based flavour packs over here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...-of-the-senses...
    ...and now you want to buy it to "create flavoured powders... ".

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    eh I'm confused. Didn't you just complain about the maltodextrin based flavour packs over here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...-of-the-senses...
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Yip. One is a maltodextrin hydrocolloid and the other is a tapioca starch. They are two different things.

But regardless, I'd still use maltodextrin as a hydrocolloid in cooking if I could source it in its purest form, because it has its uses - however it can be overdone to the point that it feels like a glue in your mouth, which is what I was bitching about.

@lupus - yes I'm expanding my cooking repertoire substantially at the moment. But this isn't for a flavoured packet of anything - my first port of call is peanut butter powder that reconstitutes in your mouth...

I'm not sure if its the same thing, but you can get tapioca flour from Health food shops.
    Maybe you can mix the flour with the maltodextrin from the body building places.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RustyPrincess View Post
    I'm not sure if its the same thing, but you can get tapioca flour from Health food shops.
    Maybe you can mix the flour with the maltodextrin from the body building places.
    Thanks for the suggestion but it's not the same stuff and you can't mix them. You have to actually modify the tapioca starch itself...

So dried out peanut butter that starts to reform in water, hmmmm could make some interesting things with that. I was watching my one buddy the other day he was making a thai curry, didn't have any peanuts so he used a spoonful of peanut butter, actually worked really well.

Thanks for the suggestion but it's not the same stuff and you can't mix them. You have to actually modify the tapioca starch itself...
    So get out the lab coat and chemistry set.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    So dried out peanut butter that starts to reform in water, hmmmm could make some interesting things with that. I was watching my one buddy the other day he was making a thai curry, didn't have any peanuts so he used a spoonful of peanut butter, actually worked really well.
    Peanut butter is a perfect replacement for whole peanuts. I make satay sauce with peanut butter...

I learned something new with regards to that, now if I need peanuts I'll substitute in peanut butter :-D