Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: GeyserWise product

Default GeyserWise product

Hi all

Just wanted to find out if someone is using this products or if you know this product what you think of it?

http://www.geyserwise.co.za/web/index.php

Grandmaster

Got one in my home - easy to install, easy to operate, does what it promises - and really well too....
    Regards,
    Chris.
    - NextGenNews, NNTP re-invented -
    South Africa's first commercial NNTP Service Provider

Installed one for my solar geyser, 2 years ago, very happy to date. Like the digital temperature readout and simple to use.

Guys, what does it actually do except for the fact that you can view the temp digitally of the geyser? oh, and i believe you can switch your geyser off and on with a remote - is it true?

Does it save you on your electricity bill?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by HateTelkom View Post
    Guys, what does it actually do except for the fact that you can view the temp digitally of the geyser? oh, and i believe you can switch your geyser off and on with a remote - is it true?

Like all timers controlling your geyser, it only works well to save electricity if you sync it with your water usage. I like the geyserwise, works well for me.

Super Grandmaster

Cost?

Was thinking about this over the weekend. Will really help and the advice on syncing it with water usuage now makes sense.

The one I'm interested in is the "MAX" version.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by davemc View Post
    Cost?
    R899

http://www.geysersmart.co.za/index.p...hk=1&Itemid=12
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Goobie View Post
    Like all timers controlling your geyser, it only works well to save electricity if you sync it with your water usage. I like the geyserwise, works well for me.
    Please explain if you dont mind?

Does that mean setting it to heat up the water just before you will use your water and leave it off for the rest of the time?

effectively a timer, also gives warning of overheating, element failure and hot water leaking. It has a probe with which you replace your current thermostat. The "remote" is a fixed unit on 5meter cable that you can mount conveniently and yes it has an override so you can switch your element on and off outside your programmed times if you so wish.

With time of use electricty tarriffs to be introduced it will save you money if you program heating into low cost off peak times.

I paid R700 from builders warehouse and installed it myself. There is also a unit called geyser wise max which has ability to switch a pump based n thermal probe differentials. ideal if you going to upgrade to solar later and want to switch the pump.

Grandmaster

Please explain if you dont mind?

Does that mean setting it to heat up the water just before you will use your water and leave it off for the rest of the time?
    correct. In my case I have an older type geyser that is not so well insulated. I added a blanket to it but still it would loose heat more rapidly than a newer geyser. We have a strict schedule in the morning to get everybody cleaned up. So now geyserwise switches the geyser on an hour (or so) before the first family member takes a bath and off as soon as the last member of the family gets into the bath/shower. Thus no heating of the water that will only be lost during the day.

Thanks for the explanation Goobie

Super Grandmaster

I have adjusted the temperature of our geyser down to about 44 degree's (it's not exactly an accurate reading), which has brrought my daily electricity usage down to 14 kw/h from 20 kw/h, which was a joke, I was using the same amount of electricity as a freaking factory.

However, the geyser is really old, but it has a new thermostat and a new element.

In any case, an accurate means of measuring the temperature, as well as not heating the water at night may provide further savings, but, I am loathe to spend R1000 on a potential solution, whareas a new geyser is a little bit more expensive.

Watch out for Legionnaires disease, if you setting the temp lower on your geyser.

From wikipedia:
    Temperature affects the survival of Legionella as follows:[15]

70 to 80 C (158 to 176 F): Disinfection range
    At 66 C (151 F): Legionellae die within 2 minutes
    At 60 C (140 F): Legionellae die within 32 minutes
    At 55 C (131 F): Legionellae die within 5 to 6 hours
    Above 50 C (122 F): They can survive but do not multiply
    35 to 46 C (95 to 115 F): Ideal growth range
    20 to 50 C (68 to 122 F): Legionellae growth range
    Below 20 C (68 F): Legionellae can survive but are dormant

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunsdonza View Post
    Was thinking about this over the weekend. Will really help and the advice on syncing it with water usuage now makes sense.

The one I'm interested in is the "MAX" version.

Same here. Just called them. R1200.00 or installed R1800.00. A bit steep.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast