Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: BBC iPlayer

Default BBC iPlayer

I am battling to get the video clips on the BBC news page to play - about 1 in five times it does work.

Sometimes it does work, then about 10 minute later the same video clip does not work.

I am using Windows XP with SP3, have ensured that I have the latest Flash 10.1 updates and I have tried both Internet Explorer (ActiveX Flash) and Chrome/Firefox (Plug-in Flash).

I am also testing at work and at home with ADSL, but speed does not seem to be the problem.

The first page displays for a moment, with spinning circle, then it goes black with a never-ending spinning circle.

Do I have a specific problem or is it a general problem in SA (Outside UK), where we have to watch an advertisement before we may watch a news clip? Is it a security issue perhaps?

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSmith View Post
    I am battling to get the video clips on the BBC news page to play - about 1 in five times it does work.

Sometimes it does work, then about 10 minute later the same video clip does not work.
    Google something like "UK Proxy Server". It'll cost gbp5 or so per month. A pain/impossible to use on Vista but works nicely on Windows 7 and no guarantees on anything else.
    Enjoy!
    The biggest use of leather is to hold cows together
    Lined Curtains

Grandmaster

An interesting thought arising from the suggestion to subscribe to a UK proxy server: would that 'fool' the BBC iPlayer into thinking you are in the UK -- and therefore entitled to download TV programmes, which are not available to those outside the country?

You need to use a UK proxy, your IP has to appear to be from inside the UK.

I have a BBC iPlayer channel on my wii and it gives me an error message about my location, I have heard people getting it working with a proxy.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.