Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maximum retail price for lpg gas has been announced

Default Maximum retail price for lpg gas has been announced

In a media statement that has been released today by the Dept. of Energy:
    MAXIMUM RETAIL PRICES FOR LPGAS AT THE COAST AND INLAND AREAS.
    The maximum coastal price is R15.69/kg and for inland R17.27/kg (vat included)

Date effective: 14th July 2010

So...........9kg at the coast R141.21 and in the waste lands (inland) R155.43.

I can foresee the dealer doing some creative add ons to make some deal profitable like transaction fee, document cost, service fee etc because his margin on a 9kg will be R10.80 if all the transactions up the line are done at set out costs.

Blog Entries

Wow... great news!

Super Grandmaster

Great, now to wait for the details on exactly how this price will be controlled.

rvonh - do you have a link to an article or something corroborating your claim?

Great news.... will make this a viable option.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by davemc View Post
    Great, now to wait for the details on exactly how this price will be controlled.

rvonh - do you have a link to an article or something corroborating your claim?
    www.cefgroup.co.za

Go to quicklinks and select 'petrol price'

Then select monthly update

See section 5...anexures B and C

Super Grandmaster

Thank you .. lookiting.

Super Grandmaster

From the PDF on that site:
    IMPLEMENTATION OF MAXIMUM RETAIL PRICES FOR LIQUEFIED PETROLEUM GAS (LPGAS) SUPPLIED TO RESIDENTIAL CONSUMERS WITH EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY, 14 JULY 2010

The Minister of Energy has approved the setting of maximum retail prices for LPGas supplied to residential consumers with effect from Wednesday, the 14th of July 2010. The Regulations and Working Rules to determine the maximum Retail Prices for LPGas are available on the website of the Department of Energy: www.energy.gov.za. From August 2010, these prices will also be adjusted on the first Wednesday of each month as is the case with petrol, diesel and illuminating paraffin (IP). These prices will also differ from one Magisterial District Zone (MDZ) to the next due to the application of different transport tariffs applicable to each MDZ. The MDZs for LPGas will be in the same vein as those of petrol, diesel and IP which are already available on the Department’s website.

The Single Maximum National Retail Price for Illuminating Paraffin changes on a monthly basis on the second Wednesday of each month and is promulgated in the Government Gazette.

In the residential market LPGas is mainly used by the affluent portion of the South African population for heating and recreational purposes. However, LPGas is not accessible to a large portion of the South African residential sector and therefore these households utilise wood, illuminating paraffin, biomass and other non-conventional fuels for cooking and heating purposes. The main reason for the non-utilisation of LPGas by the less affluent portion of the residential sector is the non-accessibility of LPGas due to low demand culminating from exorbitant prices.

It is the view of the Department that these exorbitant LPGas prices, in urban and rural areas, stem from high mark-ups in the value chain (from cylinder-filling to retail) of LPGas. In order to terminate the continuation of this practise, the Department of Energy is of the view that by regulating maximum retail prices for LPGas supplied to residential consumers, they will no longer be exploited by exorbitant mark-ups whilst the role players in the LPGas industry are fairly compensated for their capital investments and operating costs. A maximum retail price for LPGas will also further enhance competition in the LPGas value chain and lead to the general accessibility thereof.

The greater use of LPGas for heating and cooking purposes by residential consumers are, in line with the Department’s policy stance of a broadened energy mix. LPGas is a safe and efficient fuel to utilise for cooking and space heating, being an effective alternative to electricity in this regard.
    The Department will continuously endeavour to refine the elements of the maximum retail price for LPGas which will be mutually beneficial to all role players in the LPGas supply chain and residential consumers of LPGas.

ENQUERIES:
    Mr Bheki Khumalo
    Tel No.: 012-444-4270
    E-mail address: bheki.khumalo@energy.gov.za
    Okay, a bit more clarity, but, of course ... no indication of how the price is set.
    Last edited by davemc; 09-07-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Bolded part of the quote.

I paid R210 for a 9kg swap-out a couple weeks back, tho i've seen prices ranging from R160 in Randburg.

Sorry for the thread necro but I've just been charged R296 for a 9 kg refill at Engen in Cape Town. This seems very expensive. Where can I get the regulated price? What are you paying?

Grandmaster

For what it's worth, I pay R1200 for a 49kg bottle up here in Nam, run me cooking stove on the stuff....... lasts about 7 months....
    " This pass grip demands a password, give it to me..."

My local paid around R445 for a 19 kg refill yesterday from BP, about R23.50 a kg. I was charged about R34 a kg. Me thinks they captured the wrong price! I want a refund as soon as I can determine the regulated price ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mortymoose View Post
    For what it's worth, I pay R1200 for a 49kg bottle up here in Nam, run me cooking stove on the stuff....... lasts about 7 months....
    About R24.50 a kg. Seems similar to the BP price.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortymoose View Post
    Paid R1120 for my 48kg bottle last week (PE). Equates to R23.33 per kg...
    Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact.
    -George Eliot (1819-1880)

BP charges R211 for 9 kg refill so obviously Engen is wrong. Manager oohed and aahed. Told him to check with HQ and call me tomorrow for the refund.

Meh.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast