Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Afrihost. Axxess or Mweb?

Question Moving from Afrihost. Axxess or Mweb?

Hi there guys.
    Seeing as how Afrihosts policies seems to change on a weekly basis. NOT seeing myself as a too hectic downloader but still being throttled on my 4mb account to 120kbps and max 220kbp from the begging of the month, I am now just frankly tired of not knowing where I stand with them.
    If they stick to the "60gig then you will be throttled" etc that I can understand but this new hour to hour thing is just not working for me.

for the 4 months I've been with them I did the following:
    Month 1: 70gb
    Month 2: 35gb
    Month 3: 21gb
    Month 4: 58gb

I game now and then and I would ideally like an account where the latencies aren't too bad. This however is not really a concern as I can always get a separate account for just gaming.

My main question here is who do I go to?
    I'm torn between Axxess and MWEB.

My gut feel is MWEB because of what I read on the T&C of Axxess but I have been an Axxess user in the past and generally liked their service / uptime etc.

SO for 4mb uncapped for mainly /browsing/downloads/email/LOTS of Youtube and some gaming here and there... what do you guys suggest out of the two?

MWEB or Axxess?

well.. I saw a guy who gamed with me (unreal tournament 1999) online, International server using Axxess account and it was quite decent. Just as good as my afrihost ping if not a little bit better.

That is all the input I can give, if you want to talk with the man himself, pm Slushpuppyza
    Cheers
    A f r i h o s t - R29/GB ADSL
    \/Happily Banking With Capitec \/

Yeah, I'd also like to know... My 4mbit line maxes out at 384 speeds
    If we were made from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Super Grandmaster

MWEB offers the best value for money IMO. Sure they shape P2P and RapidShare but you can still get a fair amount downloaded. If you download from less known sites you will go at full speed.
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    MWEB offers the best value for money IMO. Sure they shape P2P and RapidShare but you can still get a fair amount downloaded. If you download from less known sites you will go at full speed.
    So news servers? How do they fair? That's my main source of downloads
    If we were made from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Thumbs down

I've also cancelled my Afrihost uncapped account.
    R497 is a lot of money for an unreliable service.
    Who cares about how much I can download, I need uptime and moderate speeds at the least.
    Not knowing at which GB speed drops are and finding out that sometimes the speed drops are huge is not a nice surprise. The worst part is the appalling connection speeds. Is a site loading or isn't it. I'm done giving many minutes to find out.

MWEB FTW... NO BS terms and conditions changing every month and no checking how much I download.
    Insert witty comment here...

...but it is not good at all for gaming.
    FTW= WTF

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya35 View Post
    ...but it is not good at all for gaming.
    I don't know about that. I use it all the time for gaming. I think it is pretty decent.

Super Grandmaster

I have three WOW players in the house. I get no complaints from them using MWeb uncapped.

You could also look at the openweb 4meg Gold accounts. I'm on one and had not complaints about the line. I play wow on it 300-500ms depending on time of day, also do a load of downloads (but waiting for seacom to be back to start on my series again).

Check them out.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F

OpenWeb GOLD here 2

Hmmm so still a tie between Axxess and MWEB.

Look gaming isn't crucial. Gaming will be a bonus. If I don't find Mweb or Axxes uncapped to be fast enough, I can go with a unshaped / semi shapped account if need to. I hear Axxess 626 is good for that.

Mostly it will be for the rest of my internet needs.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by boramk View Post
    So news servers? How do they fair? That's my main source of downloads
    Some better than others. MWEB may shape the better know ones but the others no. I tried Easynews once and it went very well.
    Neko-nyan dansu! by Harenchi Punch! MST3K. Hitler goes Kaput!. Fravia's SearchLores Shills, trolls & meow wars.

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    Hmmm so still a tie between Axxess and MWEB.

Look gaming isn't crucial. Gaming will be a bonus. If I don't find Mweb or Axxes uncapped to be fast enough, I can go with a unshaped / semi shapped account if need to. I hear Axxess 626 is good for that.

Mostly it will be for the rest of my internet needs.
    Just get Openweb Gold.

One account for everything.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast