Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: UNOFFICIAL Advertising Campaign & Funds

Super Grandmaster

Yes there are - dominic I think ?
    mbs ?

How do I add the Nedbank account in Standard Bank's online payments?

Quote Originally Posted by Peapod
    keep those thoughts flowing peeps.
    What do you mean?

Answers.com defines peeps as:
    Peeps are small marshmallow candies which are shaped into baby chickens, rabbits, and other animals. Peeps are primarily used to fill Easter baskets. They are made from marshmallow, sugar, gelatin, and carnauba.
    Just asking!

Quote Originally Posted by clubbe
    WAS THAT ILLEGAL??
    No idea! When was this? And where did the ad appear? What happened to the guy? If he got away with it, maybe we can as well. But remember that the Evil one has many lawyers... we have to be careful!
    Et tu, Brute?

I came, I saw, I couldn't believe my eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by ettubrute
    What do you mean?

Answers.com defines peeps as:
    Just asking!

No idea! When was this? And where did the ad appear? What happened to the guy? If he got away with it, maybe we can as well. But remember that the Evil one has many lawyers... we have to be careful!

It look that the guy was from CT and the ad placed in Cape Times.
    Car company : Land Rover named in article in BOLD letters

http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx...ticleId=199919
    A rabbi, a priest, and a minister walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, “Is this some kind of joke?”

I will donate money if the ad names Telkom as the bloody monopoly they are. What can they possibly do? Sue the MyADSL users?
    I'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

"Like a midget in a urinal I knew I had to be on my toes."
    - Lt. Frank Drebin, from NAKED GUN

R150 in the bank, hopefully this will save R477 a month.

By the way, the branch code is -> <deleted by="ic"/> . Well at least Standard Bank says it is.
    Last edited by ic; 01-09-2005 at 07:44 PM. Reason: no bank account details may be posted without RPM's explicit permission
    Pretoria Wireless User Group www.ptawug.co.za

Legal Expert: Telecoms

what could possibly be illegal about saying in big 40 foot type that Telkom Suck?

isn't that what the iCASA report says - just quote from it

not illegal to mention names afaik other than
    1. comparative advertising
    2. defamation

as regards 1 compared to who exactly? and as regards 2 well there are no shortage of facts here as long as we stick to them and not get too emotional

will happily look over final text to give legal okay but there is no need to be shy

like huisgenoot and you because they have an huge "secretarial" readership...if you want the word to spread and action to happen that is where to target it imho

Well said dominic :-)
    A rabbi, a priest, and a minister walk into a bar. The bartender looks up and says, “Is this some kind of joke?”

Thanks for clearing this, Dominic.
    Quote Originally Posted by dominic
    not illegal to mention names afaik other than
    1. comparative advertising
    2. defamation
    But that will mean we have to be extremely careful, especially for the second reason: defamation is explained as:
    The noun defamation has 2 meanings:

Meaning #1: a malicious attack
    Synonyms: calumny, obloquy, traducement, hatchet job

Meaning #2: an abusive attack on a person's/institution's character or good name
    Synonyms: aspersion, calumny, slander, denigration
    Telkom might just hook something legal onto the second meaning... so you're right, we have to be very factual!

Isn't it possible to lodge another complaint at the ASA? I haven't seen the ad myself, but maybe there is technical proof of misleading issues? Have a look at this complaint, it might give some ideas as to the pitfalls...

Couldn't find anything on the LandRover ad at the ASA, so it looks like the guy got away with it!
    Et tu, Brute?

What about that guy in Durban thet took out an ad for R2000-00 against a car company........... I am sure he named the company involved......
    WAS THAT ILLEGAL??
    Well the company concerned is still trying to get a ruling against him AFAIK. Someone else also slated Delta Motor Corporation here in JHB by putting banners on his ISUZU. That case also saw Delta lose and the customer win.

THE ASA ARE USELESS.....

Keep to the facts and consult with lawyers before doing this and you'll be fine :-D

Doing this in the YOU/Huisgenoot will have a large impact. Do you know how many people read that mag? Millions.... literally millions of people

Legal Expert: Telecoms

Quote Originally Posted by ettubrute
    Thanks for clearing this, Dominic. But that will mean we have to be extremely careful, especially for the second reason: defamation is explained as:Telkom might just hook something legal onto the second meaning... so you're right, we have to be very factual!

Isn't it possible to lodge another complaint at the ASA? I haven't seen the ad myself, but maybe there is technical proof of misleading issues? Have a look at this complaint, it might give some ideas as to the pitfalls...

Couldn't find anything on the LandRover ad at the ASA, so it looks like the guy got away with it!
    why would a myadsl page alerting consumers to factual realities be considered anything other than the most insanely appropriate instance of "truth in the public interest" ever conceived...example (get the ball rolling here)

ARE YOU BEING RIPPED OFF?

The Independent Communications etc had this to say about Teklom's adsl broadband internet access service:

This is what the IFP and ID had to say about Telkom [or whatever]

Do the high prices subsidise the roll-out of new phones to address past imbalances and access to telecommunications? No. Facts re falling number of fixed lines etc etc

DO YOU HAVE A CHOICE?

No. Telkom is a monopoly. It has no competition. You have no choice but to use its services (if they are available to you).

WHAT CAN YOU DO?

Be informed. Send and e-mail fax to .......Visit myadsl etc etc

this advert has been written, placed and paid for by members of Myadsl.co.za. Myadsl.co.za is a non-profit voluntary association representing more than 5000 users of telkom's adsl service. etc etc
    ______

this is all factual and can all be referenced to studies and reports in the public domain...they can be referenced in the ad whatever its final form (i would suggest they are)

why would the above be illegal?....also bear in mind that if the publication is in any doubt as to whether it is defamatory they will run it past their media law experts as they will be jointly liable as publishers if it is proved to be defamatory (and they have deeper pockets than the average myadsl user )

what is a far far greater danger is telkom's advertising budget...a threat to pull media from a particular publication if it runs anti-telkom content/advertorial is far more likely to censor this intiative than any legal threat

How about something like: "The Truth about Telecommunications in South Africa"

Then simply list the costs and services compared to international norms. List the reports and quotes made by various political parties and icasa. List the statistics released by various companies highlighting how the current situation has been detrimental to the growth of our economy and so on. Surely it's not a problem if it's strictually factual and correct.

Thanks again Dominic! Way to go... based on your ideas, I will (also) try to put some text together, and post it. The only reason I'm careful is precisely the fact that my pocket is shallow!
    Et tu, Brute?

Agreed. Thats why we need the marketing guys and graphic design guys to make those facts and figures eye catching and interesting!

done. through FNB, so might take a day or 2
    Demagogy: a political strategy for obtaining and gaining political power by appealing to the popular prejudices, emotions, fears and expectations of the public

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast