Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Telkom - Download Speed

Blog Entries

Default Telkom - Download Speed

Hi,

I have a 4mbps DSL connection at home. My line speed is currently set to 3.4mbps and ping 25ms.
    When trying to download either a torrent file or something large (not more then 500mb) I will be lucky to achieve 40kbps.
    I am connecting via my Telkom account so I imagine SAT3 would be used and not Seacom.

Telkom say that nothing is wrong. is anyone else having this problem.

Regards
    L
    This wicked world makes me want to crawl....

sounds faulty - noise on the line or close to an electric fence? I think some things can cause interference... 4096k should give you around 350 - 450k

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark@ View Post
    sounds faulty - noise on the line or close to an electric fence? I think some things can cause interference... 4096k should give you around 350 - 450k
    I received a message from Telkom saying the service was restored but when tested, this is not the case.
    Do you think i should request someone come out?

To be more specific, i'm trying to download a java development installation file from the Blackeberry website. The Microsoft website is also dreadfully slow.

I would call Telkom for a line test - 0800 375 375 and ask if any errors. If no problems then try get someone out but they may bill you for a call out - unlikely though considering the speed issue that is below their minimum 640k on a 4096k line.

Do you know how far you are from the exchange? They should be able to tell you that too and if that could be the problem.

I would call Telkom for a line test - 0800 375 375 and ask if any errors. If no problems then try get someone out but they may bill you for a call out - unlikely though considering the speed issue that is below their minimum 640k on a 4096k line.

Do you know how far you are from the exchange? They should be able to tell you that too and if that could be the problem.

There seems to be a lot of mixed signals coming from Telkom. Pre-2010 SWC when I moved to JHB, I was told that I could upgrade to 4Mb+ ADSL if I wanted too. Two weeks ago, that statement changed to "you can only have 384Kb on the Panorama (Roodepoort) exchange". Colleges have been getting similar responses for various areas of Gauteng. Could it be due to international capacity issues?

I think they might be using way more SEACOM than we know...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bosvark@ View Post

Thanks. The line test was done over the phone and the lady said nothing is wrong. She requested I go to the Speednet site to check line speed. The problem with this is that I am connecting to a local site in Jhb so off course my speed will high. She insisted that this is the "Telkom" way of checking if all is well. I asked her so what about sites from abroad. She proceeded to tell that Telkom are responsible for infrastructure within RSA only.

I was wondering since Seacom is down, and other ISPs are turning to SAT3 in some form, do you think Telkom are throttling in some form due to this added volume?

Quote Originally Posted by lcbxx View Post
    There seems to be a lot of mixed signals coming from Telkom. Pre-2010 SWC when I moved to JHB, I was told that I could upgrade to 4Mb+ ADSL if I wanted too. Two weeks ago, that statement changed to "you can only have 384Kb on the Panorama (Roodepoort) exchange". Colleges have been getting similar responses for various areas of Gauteng. Could it be due to international capacity issues?
    If the exchange is very congested they will limit you to 384k until it is upgraded. You may have had the 4096k offer when the exchange was still relatively "uncongested" but with more people coming on it is now limiting you. Silly I know but that's how they work...

maybe - but I don't think so - I am still getting great speeds on SAT3. What about speedtest.net Durban or CPT server? Telkom provisions bandwidth into London / NY etc... so that sounds like a cop out to me...

Blog Entries

oh, i'm about max 200m from the exchange

Quote Originally Posted by LiamRG View Post
    oh, i'm about max 200m from the exchange
    LOL in that case you should be flying. Error on line / exchange no doubt... Maybe get a cheap Axxess / WA 1GB cap (or anyone else) for this month and see how that works? If it is the same then we can start pointing fingers

Blog Entries

Hey, just an update on this.

I received a call from "Telkoms field ADSL lines" department and the guy confirmed that some ADSL subscribers using Telkom accounts are making use of Seacom in terms of routing. Hence me having slow downloads.

Any truth in this or is this a bunch a bull? I asked why am I not using the normal route i.e. SAT3 and he did not want to tell me.

Regards,
    L