Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Cancelling a qualification at UNISA

Default Cancelling a qualification at UNISA

So about 3 weeks ago I decided to enrol for a degree at UNISA. Getting everything sorted out was a pain, but I finally got all my study materials and started pouring over them.

I have since realised that I don't like their biased study material and am not as interested in the subject as I thought I was.

I've spent most of the morning trying to find information on cancelling the modules involved and the possibility of a refund. So far I've found several conflicting things on-line:

1. You can cancel at any time before the cancellation date, the 15th of August 2010, and only forfeit the application fees should you return the study materials in mint condition.

2. You lose 40% of your study fees, plus all your application fees should you cancel before the 15th of August and 50% of it thereafter.

3. You lose 50% of your study fees, plus all your application fees should you cancel before the 15th of August and all of it thereafter.

Some of this came off Hello Peter, some from forums, some from the UNISA website and none of it paints a clear picture as to what exactly happens when you cancel your modules.

I'd call them, but obviously it's weekend and Monday is a public holiday, so I was wondering if anybody on the forum has had experience in doing this, or knows where I could find proper information.

If it's possible that I could get at least part of the fees back it would be good to know.
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. - Will Rogers

www.lifeafterundeath.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cube3 View Post
    Phone them ?
    Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. - Will Rogers

www.lifeafterundeath.com

agreed your best bet will be to phone them, going there you will be shuffled around to 50 different places,least on the phone it will only take you 20mins to find some 1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feesh View Post
    agreed your best bet will be to phone them, going there you will be shuffled around to 50 different places,least on the phone it will only take you 20mins to find some 1
    Guys, I already said that I can't phone them because it is long weekend. I wanted to hear from other people who had gone through the process to identify the pitfalls etc. I had hoped somebody could give me some idea of what is involved. Phone them is a really obvious and already mentioned (in my original post) solution to the problem.

This is sort of like somebody posting for advice on a home loan and you posting "phone them". See how that doesn't help?

www.lifeafterundeath.com

You won't get your fees back.

Years ago I cancelled a module and had to forfeit the fees I had paid. I had paid the minimal required upon registration for the semester.

But you say you do not like the bias in the courseware. What module is it. If your just starting out at UNISA then rather just complete it, the 1st level modules leave little to desire but its to get everybody on the same level. Your 2nd level modules is where the fun starts and you really start enjoying it.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunsdonza View Post
    You won't get your fees back.

Years ago I cancelled a module and had to forfeit the fees I had paid. I had paid the minimal required upon registration for the semester.

But you say you do not like the bias in the courseware. What module is it. If your just starting out at UNISA then rather just complete it, the 1st level modules leave little to desire but its to get everybody on the same level. Your 2nd level modules is where the fun starts and you really start enjoying it.
    Thanks for the reply. Apparently it depends on when you cancel. If before a certain date (there's one for S1, one for S2 and another for year modules), and you return the course material, then you don't forfeit the entire fee. I'm just not sure about the portion you get back or how hard it is to actually accomplish.

I'm registered for 4 modules. My reasons for wanting to cancel are many.

Firstly, I found 4 modules to be way too many. People had told me it would be easy but apparently they don't have jobs like mine. I'm not home between 6am and 7pm most days and after that it's usually washing, eating, dishes etc.

Secondly, I am a BI developer, and so my job involves a lot of thinking. By the time I get home I honestly can't focus on studying for more than an hour before I'm too tired to care. Unfortunately that doesn't really cut it for 4 modules.

Thirdly, my motivation for enrolling was wrong. I worked at two companies the past 3 years that made me hate my job. I made the decision to study something outside of IT and chose to do a BA in something I thought I would enjoy. Problem is that I find the course-ware poor and with a decidedly Christian slant to the point where it feels like Bible study at times. Specifically AFK101Q wants me to feel all offended by things that just don't bother me.

Lastly, I feel that while the lecturers supposedly ask for your opinion in their questions, they actually want you to regurgitate their own opinions back to them. This bores me as giving your actual opinion would undoubtedly lead to poor marks.

To summarise then: lack of time, lack of motivation and poor choice of qualification all add up to make me want to cancel. If I go on as is, I will undoubtedly flunk at least 3 of the 4 modules anyway, as I don't have time to study for them.

www.lifeafterundeath.com

Well I'm glad you can admit to yourself on not overloading with modules. 4 a semester is hard work. I did it last semester and it drained me. 3 is more doable. The most I did was 6 and that was last year - what a disaster and its set me back one whole semester.

I understand point number 2 and its also tough for me with the family, like now, making a hell of a racket till after 8. I usually only get started after 10pm.

Third point, well that is the problem with 1st level modules. I've learn't to accept the fact that on this level you start doubting the value of your studies. I would say most people quiet here and its not due to them being stupid but more to lack of discipline or questioning the value of the course (this seems to be your case). All I can say is that it gets way better at 2nd level.

All the best.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.