Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12 34561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Cell C Speed Test Results

Quote Originally Posted by Tim182 View Post
    I shouldn't need to get momentum. Nice to see those speeds but far off 21MBit, wonder how many people will even get more than 10
    Thats also what I thought, def faster than my mtn 3g (will do speedtest tomorrow)

Obviously its 21mbit at the tower, but from what i recall on telkom 7mbit you get quite close to that?

Quote Originally Posted by Leno View Post
    Thats also what I thought, def faster than my mtn 3g (will do speedtest tomorrow)

Obviously its 21mbit at the tower, but from what i recall on telkom 7mbit you get quite close to that?
    That's why I am still very sceptic of CellC and their 3G network, their penetration has always been low, much fewer towers than MTN and Voda. PE is small and they have just launched the service so there are hardly any people using it and still you only get 3Mbit. What was your signal strength like when you tested?

Further, it worries me that they are delaying the bigger cities. They even say themselves that they want to test smaller areas first to avoid problems. Surely, it is just a 3G network which has been tested extensively by almost every provider worldwide and with the right equipment there shouldn't be anything preventing them from doing a nationwide launch. Yet, they are delaying the other cities which to me is a sign of either budget equipment or too small capacity. If they really believed in their own product it would be in their own interest to switch it on everywhere at the same time

around 600kb/s for downloads is an excellent speed. i get around 120kb/s on vodacom 3g here in durban.

Speedtest.net isnt long enough to get any momentum so I did a download manager test

did you go for the R2999 option leno?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim182 View Post
    That's why I am still very sceptic of CellC and their 3G network, their penetration has always been low, much fewer towers than MTN and Voda. PE is small and they have just launched the service so there are hardly any people using it and still you only get 3Mbit. What was your signal strength like when you tested?

Further, it worries me that they are delaying the bigger cities. They even say themselves that they want to test smaller areas first to avoid problems. Surely, it is just a 3G network which has been tested extensively by almost every provider worldwide and with the right equipment there shouldn't be anything preventing them from doing a nationwide launch. Yet, they are delaying the other cities which to me is a sign of either budget equipment or too small capacity. If they really believed in their own product it would be in their own interest to switch it on everywhere at the same time
    I was not running their software as it made my other osx apps crash! will do another signal test later with the software open

Their explanation at the launch for choosing pe was that they had not deployed much of the 900mhz frequency down here, so reassigning the frequencies to HSPA+ would be easier.
    They call it re farming the frequencies and it makes sense, its going to be tricky re farming big metro's as they have to take into account the phone cababilities of their client base
    and will they support the new voice frequency etc

Quote Originally Posted by tom110584 View Post
    did you go for the R2999 option leno?
    If that's the 60gb over 12 months black modem then yep

I didn't sign any non disclosure so i guess i can say: All the people at the launch got one of these dongle's

If that's the 60gb over 12 months black modem then yep

I didn't sign any non disclosure so i guess i can say: All the people at the launch got one of these dongle's
    Can you please explain bit further regarding the contract? Is it long proceedure to get the dongle like credit check and all?
    Or is it just prepaid? what i mean is, did you just pay the money and got the dongle and sim?

Quote Originally Posted by kotesh View Post
    Can you please explain bit further regarding the contract? Is it long proceedure to get the dongle like credit check and all?
    Or is it just prepaid? what i mean is, did you just pay the money and got the dongle and sim?
    Im not sure what the procedure is, we got given a free unit at the press conference

But since its a once off fee i dont see why you would need to be credit checked

We did have to RICA the cards tho but that was a 5 min procedure

Im not sure what the procedure is, we got given a free unit at the press conference

But since its a once off fee i dont see why you would need to be credit checked

We did have to RICA the cards tho but that was a 5 min procedure
    Thanks. i just wanted to figure out what is going to happen after 5 GB is finished?
    If there is no credit check and there is no contract to sign means it will be disconnected after 5 GB is finished.
    BTW the how stable is the netowrk?

Quote Originally Posted by kotesh View Post
    Thanks. i just wanted to figure out what is going to happen after 5 GB is finished?
    If there is no credit check and there is no contract to sign means it will be disconnected after 5 GB is finished.
    BTW the how stable is the netowrk?
    From what I can tell its a prepaid or topup contract style, as when i do a balance inquiry it says i have R0 airtime and 4899mb left

To be honest i have only used it briefly for testing, I have ADSL at home. Next week ill prob use it at work when their line is congested hehe

From what I can tell its a prepaid or topup contract style, as when i do a balance inquiry it says i have R0 airtime and 4899mb left

To be honest i have only used it briefly for testing, I have ADSL at home. Next week ill prob use it at work when their line is congested hehe
    Please keep us posted.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Thanks Leno for giving us the info you have provided thus far, you will be regarded as one of our fav guinea (eh?) forumite

Looking forward to some more feedback
    *To be updated soon* shoutout to Korn1

@Leno. Did you pay R2999?

Quote Originally Posted by Akafreakazoid View Post
    @Leno. Did you pay R2999?
    No, I got a "demo" dongle and contract

wow leno - wish i had been at this press conference!o_O i wonder if all the attendants can even make use of their 'gifts' what with the coverage being somewhat limited at the moment...?

Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12 34561252102 ... LastLast