Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

View Poll Results: If you have been upgraded to 10Mb, indicate which Province you live in.

Voters
334. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Eastern Cape

3 0.90%
  • The Free State

2 0.60%
  • Gauteng

33 9.88%
  • KwaZulu-Natal

16 4.79%
  • Limpopo

0 0%
  • Mpumalanga

0 0%
  • The Northern Cape

0 0%
  • North West

2 0.60%
  • The Western Cape

46 13.77%
  • No upgrade as yet

232 69.46%
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526 272829 LastLast

Thread: 10 Mbps ADSL availability checker

Super Grandmaster

It's not about what Telkom sells or don't sell. (It's actually a free upgrade) This is about the exchange. Check my question again
    Last edited by Luke7777; 14-03-2012 at 11:16 AM.
    ADSL 4Mb & DG834GT | Ex-Iburst, Ex-Sentech
    MYBroadband.co.za - Your electronic condom against those unwanted telecom infections !

Quote Originally Posted by Luke7777 View Post
    It's not about what Telkom sells or don't sell. (It's actually a free upgrade) This is about the exchange. Check my question again
    My ADSL2+ capable exchange states the same (4Mbps max), but I do sync at 8Mbps. Does that answer your question?
    Feeling violated on the evil internetz? Download PeerBlock 1.2 (r693) for Windows! Released 14 January 2014

Super Grandmaster

Almost , meaning that based on that there's no reason for Telkom to refuse my upgrade. Line quality is excellent, with attenuation being in low single digits (5/1) and SNR around 30. Will try them again
    ADSL 4Mb & DG834GT | Ex-Iburst, Ex-Sentech
    MYBroadband.co.za - Your electronic condom against those unwanted telecom infections !

Yeah, seems like Telkom are reluctant to specifically state 10mb. I have a business line that is on a 10mb enabled exchange with superb line attenuation rates but the most they will sync it to is 6mb, probably due to bandwidth constraints rather than any physical condition that exists on the line.
    Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger

Happy

10Mbps ADSL worse than 4Mbps: MyBroadband - Rudolph Muller

Some Internet Service Providers are moving their subscribers back from 10Mbps ADSL lines to 4Mbps to ensure better stability and throughput

Telkom started to upgrade some of its 4Mbps ADSL subscribers to 10Mbps in August 2010, and continued this process at exchanges which had ADSL2+ enabled DSLAMs, which are served by Metro-Ethernet backhaul, and only in places where there are high ratios of 4 Mbps ADSL subscribers.

In cases where a subscribers’ line quality is not good enough to support a stable 10 Mbps service, it is assigned the highest possible speed (in speed profile increments of 1 Mbps each) where the connection is stable and will provide a good quality of service.

Many Telkom ADSL subscribers have expressed delight at the higher speeds, but not everyone who has been upgraded shares this feeling.

Numerous new 10Mbps ADSL subscribers have voiced concerns about the stability of the new 10Mbps ADSL service, and some service providers are pro-actively migrating their 10Mbps clients back to 4Mbps lines.

The performance of ADSL lines is particularly important in an ADSL bonding environment where a ‘dud’ line can significantly influence the overall throughput of the bonding solution.

Altech Technology Concepts (ATC) CEO Wayne De Nobrega, an expert and pioneer in ADSL bonding in South Africa, said that they have migrated their 10Mbps ADSL users back to 4Mbps.

The reason for the ‘downgrade’ is not only because of service stability concerns, but also because ATC found that a 4Mbps service often provides a higher average throughput than the upgraded 10Mbps line.

According to de Nobrega, one of the biggest problems is most likely the quality of Telkom’s copper infrastructure and the length of the local loop – problems which are expensive and time consuming to address.

MWEB CEO Rudi Jansen also previously expressed concerns about Telkom’s capacity to support the higher ADSL speeds.

“We are aware of numerous ‘hotspots’ at exchanges around the country where users are getting vastly different experiences. This problem has been further compounded by the recent upgrade to a 10Mbps service on certain exchanges,” said Jansen.

MWEB Business, which is also offering an ADSL bonding solution, has further said that while they are ready to launch a 40Mbps ADSL bonding solution they have concerns about Telkom’s slow 10Mbps ADSL rollout and overall ADSL infrastructure.

MWEB Business GM Andre Joubert explained that a 40Mbps ADSL bonding solution may create unrealistic expectations among MWEB Business’ clients, and they simply cannot guarantee that a client can get these speeds as it is reliant on Telkom’s infrastructure rather than MWEB Business.

Telkom was asked for comment about the performance of its 10Mbps ADSL service, but the company did not respond by the time of publication.

Why would they talk about upgrading even further, if they can't even get everybody that is on 4mb to 10mb??
    Telkom 20Mbps and 40Mbps DSL network plans:
    http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadb...ork-plans.html

I want my 10mb too please...

Master

Hartenbos - No 10 Mbps

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Is Tekom due to upgrade all DSL users in June? I mean 384k to 1mb, 1mb to 2mb and so on?
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

Your exchange supports ADSL Maximum speed available in your area is 1Mbps

Your current product speed is : 1Mbps

Mine Won't get upgraded to 2Mbps will be stuck on 1Mbps forever
    Quote Originally Posted by themba990 View Post
    You're like the master of flying under the radar

Quote Originally Posted by aapkop View Post
    Your exchange supports ADSL Maximum speed available in your area is 1Mbps

Your current product speed is : 1Mbps

Mine Won't get upgraded to 2Mbps will be stuck on 1Mbps forever
    Why not? The checker is stuffed!
    ELO: Here is the news...

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Forest Hill - Connected to the Turffontein Exchange

I have 7meg

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Why not? The checker is stuffed!
    to far from exchange.Houses closer to exchange can get 4Mbps.The area i am in only 1Mbps.
    Quote Originally Posted by themba990 View Post
    You're like the master of flying under the radar

Our office only get 2Mbps on a 4Mbps line for the same reason - distance from exchange.

SummerStrand P.E No 10 Meg

The 10Mbps roll-out seems to be taking forever and very few people seem happy with the stability and speed after the upgrade. I hope that Telkom truly has the capacity for the 1Mbps and 2Mbps upgrades, and that it doesn't take years to complete.

Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 162223242526 272829 LastLast