Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soldiers to Strike

Angry Soldiers to Strike

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/art...to-join-strike
    Got to love this place

Aug 26, 2010 8:52 AM | By Sapa
    Soldiers, who have been helping out at state hospitals during a crippling public service strike, threatened on Thursday to start staying away from work in a solidarity action.

"The problem is, if this problem is not solved, there's a possibility that we might be seen as scab labour," said SA National Defence Union (Sandu) spokesman Jeff Dubazana.

"We are not going to allow our workers to be seen in that particular fashion. That is why we are planning action."

He said the union would announce on Friday if it would take part in a secondary strike.

Initially, he said Sandu members would "go on a march" or picket, but when asked if that meant they would not stay away from work, he replied: "It can be picketing for the whole day."

Dubazana said the government's "lack of leadership" was to blame for the situation.

"What the public servants are asking... it's very reasonable, what they should be asking for is 16 percent," he said.

The SA Security Force Union (Sasfu) made a similar statement.

Sasfu president Bhekinkosi Mvovo said the union's national executive leadership would meet on Sunday to discuss members joining the strike.

"Soldiers' social economic conditions are much worse than the teachers and nurses," Mvovo said.

"We are calling on our members not to act as scab labour during this period," he said.

Mvovo hoped the wage dispute between the government and public service unions would be resolved by the time the union meets on Sunday.

He acknowledged that a strike by soldiers would have a crippling affect.

"It will be a big blow," Mvovo said.

A nation-wide public service strike started a week ago, causing school closures and severe disruption of state hospital services.

The SA National Defence Force has deployed about 2400 soldiers to help out at hospitals.

The unions have demanded an 8.6 percent increase and a R1000 housing allowance, while the government has offered seven percent and R700, excluding a 1.5 percent pay progression.
    #FREEISRAEL

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

What soldiers?

Our Aids army?
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

A Djinn

Didn't they do this last year?
    Villain, I have done thy mother.

Super Grandmaster

One way to fix the scab labour epithet is to declare a state of emergency.
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Blog Entries

Wonder what our Happy Happy Good Luck ANC Love Brigade™ have to say about all of this now!

Probably will find someone else to blame.

I thought the army was not allowed to strike? And wouldn't this be considered an act of treason?

Grandmaster

What?!?

I think, they will not go anywhere, too.

Blog Entries

It's pathetic... All these striking workers should just get shot (suppose I better say, with rubber bullets), and when they need medical care, tough ****..
    -|WebAfrica|-
    -|i7 3770k 4.6GHz|Custom WC loop|z77 V Gene|8GB|MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OC|160GB X25M-G2|4.5TB|QNIX @ 120Hz|-

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nakedpeanut View Post
    It's pathetic... All these striking workers should just get shot (suppose I better say, with rubber bullets), and when they need medical care, tough ****..
    Why?

LEt them strike. Their party taught them well. The workers are blaming the right people.

I say strike!! Two more weeks should be fun.

VIVA!!!!!!!!!
    “Character — the willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life — is the source from which self-respect springs.”

Didn't the cops shoot at the SANDF last time they were on strike?
    And then a month later the SANDF were shooting at the cops when they were on strike.

Blog Entries

Dont get me wrong, I like the fact that their party taught them so well

BUT

I'm more concerned with the thousands of people that need medical attention and the couple that are dying each day as a direct result of this..
    -|WebAfrica|-
    -|i7 3770k 4.6GHz|Custom WC loop|z77 V Gene|8GB|MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OC|160GB X25M-G2|4.5TB|QNIX @ 120Hz|-

People have seriously lost the plot.

South Africa at war with itself again nothing to see here

[QUOTE=marine1;4577112Aug 26, 2010 8:52 AM | By Sapa
    Soldiers, who have been helping out at state hospitals during a crippling public service strike, threatened on Thursday to start staying away from work in a solidarity action.[/QUOTE]

Really bad thinking to adopt would be “Things are so bad but at least the SANDF is on the job”. I heard from an army medical person (last strike) that the medical capabilities of the army are so appalling that it won’t make much difference to the already appalling conditions. If the entitlement ethos of the SANDF can be overcome, you have a myriad of bedpan carriers, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by eltherza View Post
    I thought the army was not allowed to strike? And wouldn't this be considered an act of treason?
    Anyone in essentail services are not allowed to strike... and even after a court interdict, the people are STILL on strike. do you really think the Govt will fire ALL of the SAPS and ARMY if they go on strike..

the govt is 100% powerless in this situation! Who will arrest striking army members? The also striking police force?

If the Govt gives in to the unions demands, it shows the Unions run the country... if the unions give in to the govt offer, it shows the unions have no power and are a waste of time..

This is all a 'My willy is bigger than yours' match

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast