Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: License Card expired?

Quote Originally Posted by Ry4n View Post
    Yep thats what I thought - I had an accident with an expired license insurance was all good.
    They can only fine you - you're still a licensed driver.
    Renewed mine the other day in Cape Town took me 5 weeks to get mine.
    Exactly. If your passport expires, does that mean you are no longer a South African citizen? No. The passport is merely proof of your citizenship. Likewise your drivers licence is merely proof of your entitlement to drive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by deweyzeph View Post
    Exactly. If your passport expires, does that mean you are no longer a South African citizen? No. The passport is merely proof of your citizenship. Likewise your drivers licence is merely proof of your entitlement to drive.
    Not quite the same. You do not need a passport to "operate" as a South African citizen...

ALFA, get the bloody thing sorted ASAP, and hope like hell that some silly sod doesn't insist that you re-take your test...
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by deweyzeph View Post
    Reality check: in such a clear cut case I don't think there's a magistrate in the country who would hold you liable for the death of someone so clearly caused by another party just because your drivers licence has expired. Magistrates and judges are allowed to use common sense and discretion.
    Sadly I'm talking about reality and the law. If the other driver is licensed (and yes, some taxi drivers even have their PDPs) and your not, you immediately become responsible.

Many people have ruined their lives this way by not driving with a legal licence !!!
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bboy View Post
    You still are a licensed driver!
    You just have no valid proof!
    Be careful of handing out such advice. Its against the law in this country to operate a vehicle without a legal licence!

Your insurance is still intact!
    It should only take 3 to 4 weeks to get a new one.
    You can receive a fine for not being able to show a valid license.
    This is a lie. The majority of insurance contracts will only pay you out if you have a legal licence at the time of the accident. Some more bad advice.

Rather speak to your own insurance before you allow others to let you believe you are covered in such a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry4n View Post
    Yep thats what I thought - I had an accident with an expired license insurance was all good.
    They can only fine you - you're still a licensed driver.
    Renewed mine the other day in Cape Town took me 5 weeks to get mine.
    The charge is "driving without a legal licence". This is the same charge if you did not have licence at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunsdonza View Post
    Be careful of handing out such advice. Its against the law in this country to operate a vehicle without a legal licence!

This is a lie. The majority of insurance contracts will only pay you out if you have a legal licence at the time of the accident. Some more bad advice.

Rather speak to your own insurance before you allow others to let you believe you are covered in such a situation.
    You don't read so good do ya boy!

That little card u carry around is not a license, its just PROOF!
    Your proof expires.
    Your license has to be revoked!
    Two completely different things!

You are covered, and yes we have been in this exact situation, guy at work bought a bmw , day before he received it he had to go in with his documents, they complained about his expired card, and would not release car claiming insurance etc etc, so we got hold of his insurance who then stated the driver is still covered and faxed a letter stating so, bmw gave us the car and we sorted his card out next week.
    Axxess my new favorite ISP

You people are full of crap.
    It is just the CARD that expires, NOT your license. Your license can NEVER expire.
    Sheez, don't you read the crap plastered up on the walls of the traffic department while you're waiting in line?

Today I was at the Krugersdorp Drivers License Card Renewal offices (out past Munsieville, off Robert Broom Drive). It is the same place where you would renew vehicle licenses, and get your learners' license, etc. Also vehicle roadworthy Certs for vehicles are done there

I arrived at 07h30, and was finished and on my way back to work at 08h30 (and the only opened for business at 08h00 even though they say they open at 07h45). I had had my eyes tested a few days ago at an optometrist (Specsavers Nothgate) who issue a certificate which is accepted by the authorities, so you don't need to place your chin, and your forehead, against any potentially filthy & contaminated chin/forehead rest.... Although I was pleasantly surprised that their offices and entire facility appears in good nick, and is clean. But it looks quite new, so just give it a few more months and it will be like all other g'ment departments, and we will all feel at home

The major delay in the process at K'Dorp appears to be the Cashiers ... I waited about 15 minutes to pay my R190.00, even though there was only one person in the queue before me.

A heads-up ... I downloaded the needed form (DL1) from the web .. the guy accepted it, but he did request that I use their original (green) DL1 the next time - he said that pages were liable to be misplaced of a downloaded multi-page form, where as the original green DL1 is in booklet format.

You will need:
    (1) your current (or expired) Drivers License - if expired you will probably be required to apply for a temp license as well ... I don't know as my 'old' one is still valid for another 2 weeks) ....
    (2) ID Book, plus a certified copy of your ID Book - they may offer this certification 'service' on site but don't bank on it - take your own ID copy which has been certified
    (3) 1 x B&W photo (same size as ID photo)
    (4) If you do not have an authorised optician's eye check certificate, they will check your eyes on site
    (5) They take another digital phot0 of you on site - I guess this is the one integrated on your Driver's License Card ... the one you supply is just attached to the application form
    (6) They will take (scan) both your thumb prints ... I have no idea what they do if you happen to be missing a thumb or two
    (7) You need to sign your signature on a scan-device using a stylus such as would be used on touch-screens ... you need to keep within the borders on the scanner. So if your name is 'Frik Tweebuffelsmeteenskootdoodgeskiet' do practice a shorter signature beforehand
    (8) the guy / gal will give all the documents, and then you proceed to the cashier's hokkie, where you pay your hard-earned $$$ into Mr Zuma's bank account.

They said my renewed card license will be ready in about 10 days (I did not ask if that was 10 working days, and if the current strikes spread to this department, then I could be in for a l-o-n-g wait.)

I forgot to ask them just how I will know when I can collect my license when it is ready, but they do have one of my throw-way e-mail addresses, and my cell number ... if I have not heard from them in 1 month I will just go back there and ask if it is ready

You still are a licensed driver!
    You just have no valid proof!
    Your insurance is still intact!
    It should only take 3 to 4 weeks to get a new one.
    You can receive a fine for not being able to show a valid license.
    EXACTLY...went there about an hour ago...and walked into mankind's worst nightmare...a bunch of people all looking and starring at each other and the floor while the qeue's stretch to the gate...so I turned back. I'll go on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by atomcrusher View Post
    Today I was at the Krugersdorp Drivers License Card Renewal offices (out past Munsieville, off Robert Broom Drive). It is the same place where you would renew vehicle licenses, and get your learners' license, etc. Also vehicle roadworthy Certs for vehicles are done there

I arrived at 07h30, and was finished and on my way back to work at 08h30 (and the only opened for business at 08h00 even though they say they open at 07h45). I had had my eyes tested a few days ago at an optometrist (Specsavers Nothgate) who issue a certificate which is accepted by the authorities, so you don't need to place your chin, and your forehead, against any potentially filthy & contaminated chin/forehead rest.... Although I was pleasantly surprised that their offices and entire facility appears in good nick, and is clean. But it looks quite new, so just give it a few more months and it will be like all other g'ment departments, and we will all feel at home

The major delay in the process at K'Dorp appears to be the Cashiers ... I waited about 15 minutes to pay my R190.00, even though there was only one person in the queue before me.

A heads-up ... I downloaded the needed form (DL1) from the web .. the guy accepted it, but he did request that I use their original (green) DL1 the next time - he said that pages were liable to be misplaced of a downloaded multi-page form, where as the original green DL1 is in booklet format.

You will need:
    (1) your current (or expired) Drivers License - if expired you will probably be required to apply for a temp license as well ... I don't know as my 'old' one is still valid for another 2 weeks) ....
    (2) ID Book, plus a certified copy of your ID Book - they may offer this certification 'service' on site but don't bank on it - take your own ID copy which has been certified
    (3) 1 x B&W photo (same size as ID photo)
    (4) If you do not have an authorised optician's eye check certificate, they will check your eyes on site
    (5) They take another digital phot0 of you on site - I guess this is the one integrated on your Driver's License Card ... the one you supply is just attached to the application form
    (6) They will take (scan) both your thumb prints ... I have no idea what they do if you happen to be missing a thumb or two
    (7) You need to sign your signature on a scan-device using a stylus such as would be used on touch-screens ... you need to keep within the borders on the scanner. So if your name is 'Frik Tweebuffelsmeteenskootdoodgeskiet' do practice a shorter signature beforehand
    (8) the guy / gal will give all the documents, and then you proceed to the cashier's hokkie, where you pay your hard-earned $$$ into Mr Zuma's bank account.

They said my renewed card license will be ready in about 10 days (I did not ask if that was 10 working days, and if the current strikes spread to this department, then I could be in for a l-o-n-g wait.)

I forgot to ask them just how I will know when I can collect my license when it is ready, but they do have one of my throw-way e-mail addresses, and my cell number ... if I have not heard from them in 1 month I will just go back there and ask if it is ready
    COOOLER! Thanks man I'll be sure to be well prepared!

Just got off the phone with someone:

You need your expired card,
    R190 for licence
    R60 for temp one.
    3 pics

Then you need to go to a TESTING station not a licencing renewal centre (normally you can renew card or car disc there).
    You then have to explain why you did not renew for so long.
    Then they do renewal.

Also got told by friend if you want to hold you can call 08604288364

Quote Originally Posted by thisgeek View Post
    You people are full of crap.
    It is just the CARD that expires, NOT your license. Your license can NEVER expire.
    Sheez, don't you read the crap plastered up on the walls of the traffic department while you're waiting in line?
    With the continuous bad advice on this thread, I dare you to smash your without being in possession of a legal licence. Then give me some feedback.

Then again, guess at 35 I been around long enough to know better.

With the continuous bad advice on this thread, I dare you to smash your without being in possession of a legal licence. Then give me some feedback.

Then again, guess at 35 I been around long enough to know better.
    In the beginning of the year I added a 2nd vehicle to my insurance & was honest said that there will be someone else driving the vehicle every now & then. The consultant's first words were: make sure the person has a valid not expired licence or xxxxxx wont cover your vehicle in the case of an accident or theft....

Quote Originally Posted by ChilliGirl View Post
    In the beginning of the year I added a 2nd vehicle to my insurance & was honest said that there will be someone else driving the vehicle every now & then. The consultant's first words were: make sure the person has a valid not expired licence or xxxxxx wont cover your vehicle in the case of an accident or theft....
    In all fairness to all the bickering, I actually took the time to do some googling:

http://www.insurancegateway.co.za/4.8.45.Irn=1044
    http://www.carandhomeinsurance.co.za...nse-claims_275

Comes down to an individual ruling by the Ombudsman is creating a false sense of security by those knowingly driving without a legal licence card. Personally, I would not take the chance.

"Dombo again quotes the Ombudsman. “Should the Ombudsman receive a complaint where an insurer has rejected a claim because the driver did not have a valid drivers licence, the Ombudsman would require the insurer to demonstrate prejudice as a result of the clients failure to be in possession of a valid licence.” "

In all fairness to all the bickering, I actually took the time to do some googling:

http://www.insurancegateway.co.za/4.8.45.Irn=1044
    http://www.carandhomeinsurance.co.za...nse-claims_275

Comes down to an individual ruling by the Ombudsman is creating a false sense of security by those knowingly driving without a legal licence card. Personally, I would not take the chance.

"Dombo again quotes the Ombudsman. “Should the Ombudsman receive a complaint where an insurer has rejected a claim because the driver did not have a valid drivers licence, the Ombudsman would require the insurer to demonstrate prejudice as a result of the clients failure to be in possession of a valid licence.” "
    The Ombudsman won't listen to your story until you have exhausted every other possible way of solving your problem. It's not worth the wait, we all want our cars in working order at all times not wait 6 months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast